Question on 10D CMOS Sensor cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinchuan

Apr 5, 2004
Serangoon
Hello

I like to know how frequent to we need to clean the camera sensor? Do you do it yourself or sent in to canon service center and normally what is the cost?

I have the 10D for more than a year now, and has never clean the camera sensor before. Until yesterday when I was testing my new DO lens that I notice in the images with consistent dots. I believe these are dust.

I would appreciate if anybody have experience of how to go about it please share your view and advise.

Alvin

The sensor needs to cleaned only when it's dirty - for people who have a better lens changing technique, the sensor doesn't get dust so easily.

It's better to send it in to Canon (only $20+). DIY is practically free and faster but it's also riskier (you might accidentally damage the sensor).

imaginary_number said:
It's better to send it in to Canon (only $20+). DIY is practically free and faster but it's also riskier (you might accidentally damage the sensor).

Thanks for the info and do you know how long would it normally take for them to do it?

Alvin

You can do a check on your CMOS with this simple technique if you have Photoshop.
  1. First of all, make sure your monitor is cleaned or at least the part where you are going to shoot is.
  2. Start PS with no file opened and only the gray empty background.
  3. Take a shot of a cleaned gray area. It would be hard to focus so focus on somewhere on your monitor such as the mouse cursor.
  4. Open the image in PS and use Auto Level.
  5. Voila! You can see all the foreign matter on your CMOS and maybe monitor if you didn't cleaned it properly.

If you are confident and careful, you can clean the CMOS yourself. Do a search here. The risks are either you scratch the CMOS or you may damage the slightly exposed part of the shutter or both! Hehehe.

p.s: It would be interesting to see how dirty your CMOS is if you can post the image as captured in the above steps.

Bee Hedge said:
Have a look at this article....
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
..... So, far so good! :)
Thanks for your Info.
I will calling canon tommorrow to hear their advise before deciding the next steps.

Newman said:
p.s: It would be interesting to see how dirty your CMOS is if you can post the image as captured in the above steps.
Here is a picture and you can see plenty of dust everywhere. :(
http://www.pbase.com/image/31473210.jpg

Alvin

Wah? So jialat?!!! :bigeyes:
If u did what I mentioned, u will see even more dust spots. Especially a lot of small ones. Those in your pic are quite big dust spots actually. Can't believe you didn't see them earlier. :what:

Newman said:
Wah? So jialat?!!! :bigeyes:
Can't believe you didn't see them earlier. :what:

First I seldom shoot into the sky. Second I check all the photos taken in the past feel days until the asian aerospace where there are alot of sky shots. I didn't find anything. So it must be lately, because I have very busy testing the zoom lenses especially the 100-400L. Which I was very insterested then. I remember reading somewhere, it said the push and pull of this lens is like a big dust magnet. :bsmilie:
Anyway I have try to blow it with the airblower and the big dust have gone. but there are still a few very fine one remain. I am sending it to canon for service. The only thing is I am not sure how long they will take. Hopefully can collect before the fireworks.

Thanks again for all the input.

Alvin

Status
Not open for further replies.