question negative film post-processing

indomie15

Sep 7, 2010
hi all,

I am interest to learn on how to use film camera, but was hold back because i think of the troublesome way of dealing with the post-processing. but recently i found out that actually there is a small box of machine that can scan negative film or you can use apps to scan your negative film. my question is how most of you guys process your negative film? how much is the black and white film roll? thanks.

home-based Black and White film processing is probably the easiest thing in the world to do. it's a matter of patience. :)

try reading this article, pretty comprehensive.
http://www.japancamerahunter.com/20...s-at-home-a-beginners-guide-by-david-bromley/

the basic bits like developer, fixer and developing tank etc... all are available at Ruby Photo over at Peninsula Shopping centre (next to Funan). talk to the people there and they should be able to recommend you a basic kit. all in all... shd set you back by abt $200? the equipment is a one-off purchase (ie. the tank, measuring cylinder, dark bag etc...). after that it is just periodical purchase of chemicals when they run out. definitely, you need to buy a Developer (eg. the Ilford liquid developer) and Fixer (eg. Ilford rapid fixer). other chemicals like stop baths and photo-flo... depends. some swear by them, others get by without them. do a quick read online to see what these chemicals do during the film processing. things like funnels and measuring jugs... just get them from the neighbourhood shops. cheap and works just as well.

some of the equipment, you can buy them 2nd-hand here in CS. just post a want-to-buy and i am pretty sure you are going to be swamped with offers.

regarding film... well, u can buy them online from bhphotovideo, adorama, freestyle photo etc... locally, i think the only game in town is Ruby again. they stock Ilfords and Kodaks. on average, each roll will probably set you back abt $10. if you are just trying things out, see if you can find cheap china-made BnW film like Shanghai brand on ebay. but, your results will vary due to their quality control. however, if you are just going to try things out, they are cheap to learn with.

you will probably have to sacrifice a few rolls learning how to develop film.. but once you get the hang of it, it becomes 2nd-nature. after developing, if you want to digitise your negatives, just get a simple scanner, or use your handphone will do. if you are just looking to archive your negatives, those simple 35mm stand-alone scanner on qoo10 or lazada will suffice. but if you are looking for good quality scanners, go with epson (eg V500/700) or canon (eg Canoscan 9000F). u can find them 2nd-hand here in CS too. of course, you can always send it to places like Fotohub to scan for you. but, i rather do it myself.

have fun!

Last edited:
I would recommend Ilford HP5+ to start. You can get this cheap and is easy to process with the Ilfotec DDX solutions. First time will be a bit of a hit and miss but you will get it eventually. It really is not difficult...as the previous person said...what you need is some patience and learning. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was so excited, when I look at my 1st roll of film that process by myself. From roll to sheet, from D-76/microdol X/ DK-50 to C-22 / C-41 / E3 - E4 till E6 process. No words can describe.

Am having a lot of fun shooting film and developing them .. It is like relearning photography.

I am keeping it simple, it is going to be hp5+ and self develop with hc110 for this and next year. If you bulk 100ft roll of hp5+ per roll is less then 4 SGD. But u need to get a bulk loader and film canister

Last edited: