[Question] I'm contemplating getting a Giotto - should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel0ng

Jul 23, 2008
Upper Bukit Timah
This is a picture of my current blower, a Hurricane. I forgot where it came from (it could be a hand-me-down from my Dad), but I find that it hasn't been able to dislodge a few specks of dust on my viewfinder.

DSC_1423.jpg

I'm wondering whether I should purchase a Giotto Rocket (medium) to replace this, hoping that the Giotto will be strong enough to remove the dust on my viewfinder mirror inside the body - the specks of dust is getting to me.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is the Hurricane pictured above already better than the Giotto?

The Giotto should be stronger, but with dust specks this stubborn, it might not work too.

The dust specks are quite stubborn - I wonder whether they have got stuck between the mirrors (is there such a thing?)?

What should I do about the dust in the VF? Approach NSC? The camera's still under warranty.

if not itchy, don't scratch

do the dust specks affect your camera operation that much?

if not, why bother?

True, the specks don't affect the IQ (yet).

Recently one of them dropped onto the sensor, but I managed to detect it and clean it before taking too many photos unaware.

Problem now is that I have 3 dots and 1 "hair" in my VF - if it grows some more it'll really get irritating, and that's why I want to remove it now.

It may not be just there... from inside the VF, to the other side of the focusing screen, the possibilities are all there...

I have dust in my VF also, quite PITA when composing shots, but well... at least it does not affect the end picture. ;)

Please don't get paranoid or over-particular about dust. You may just end up damaging the focusing screen in an attempt to be dust free.

It may not be just there... from inside the VF, to the other side of the focusing screen, the possibilities are all there...

I have dust in my VF also, quite PITA when composing shots, but well... at least it does not affect the end picture. ;)

Please don't get paranoid or over-particular about dust. You may just end up damaging the focusing screen in an attempt to be dust free.

I guess this VF dust problem is quite common, especially given the nature of DSLRs :bsmilie:

Won't the dust "etch" into the screen once it's been there for a long time? I'm more concerned about the "permanent-ness" of the dust after a while and the inability of the NSC to clean it in future - would this happen or am I paranoid?

I guess this VF dust problem is quite common, especially given the nature of DSLRs :bsmilie:

Won't the dust "etch" into the screen once it's been there for a long time? I'm more concerned about the "permanent-ness" of the dust after a while and the inability of the NSC to clean it in future - would this happen or am I paranoid?

etch in to the screen.....

magic dust

etch in to the screen.....

magic dust

It's more of the chemical reaction that I'm concerned with.

Dust is acidic by nature, and if I'm not wrong there's a thin layer of silver coating on the screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's more of the chemical reaction that I'm concerned with.

Dust is acidic by nature, and if I'm not wrong there's a thin layer of silver coating on the screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

you can always replace the screen,

in any case, i don't know, and i don't really care, my advice to you is to take more photos, care less about the things that don't matter

if you have a little frog obscuring half your screen, yes, i would understand

but dust is everywhere, you lose the current stock, you'll get new stock, for sure, 180% guaranteed plus chop, and you can never remove dust from viewfinder/focusing screen carefully unless you have the know-how

you can always replace the screen,

in any case, i don't know, and i don't really care, my advice to you is to take more photos, care less about the things that don't matter

if you have a little frog obscuring half your screen, yes, i would understand

but dust is everywhere, you lose the current stock, you'll get new stock, for sure, 180% guaranteed plus chop, and you can never remove dust from viewfinder/focusing screen carefully unless you have the know-how

Sound advice, appreciate it :thumbsup:

The frog analogy tickled me, now that's definitely something that would bother me!

Guess I'll just leave it as that for the VF dust and continue shooting as always.

I also have the grey blower which i bought long ago to clean my PC stuffs
I just bought a Giottos Rocket Blower Large not long back.
It's much better. the air is much stronger

Cost of it? Only $12 from CP

Maybe you can get a rocket blower and try if it works for u
:)

hi guys..
Since we a talking about dust and blower, I am just wondering... can we use the blower in a can one? The one just like Dust Off like this one --> http://www.rapidsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=56571

Sorry to ask this question but I am newbies.. and no experience in cleaning my camera and lens :embrass:

Thanks in advance...

hi guys..
Since we a talking about dust and blower, I am just wondering... can we use the blower in a can one? The one just like Dust Off like this one --> http://www.rapidsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=56571

Sorry to ask this question but I am newbies.. and no experience in cleaning my camera and lens :embrass:

Thanks in advance...
try not to, some of these contain things that might damage the internal components, unless they are specifically manufactured for the purpose of internal camera chamber cleaning or sensor cleaning. and even then, i would only use reputable companies' produts, since they would probably have some form of guarantee that your sensor/camera will not be damaged as a result of using their product, that will be honoured.

a good old blower is very safe, what goes in and comes out is just pure air, and air isn't going to harm anything or react with it. :)

that particular product does not seem to be made for camera use, i would avoid it.

Yo dan,
I got the same freakin Viewfinder dust problem dats pissin me off, and ya like u, it doesnt affect IQ, but it appears in the VF & very obvious in day shots, & its really pissin me off. Ive used the blower and squeezed a ziliion times until I got forearms like California governor, but the freakin dust spots are stil in the VF... tmd... I tried mirror up, mirror down, almost every angle possibe, but cannot get rid of the dust.... I guess only way is to send to CSC, donate some money, hope they dun screw up some other parts while fixing the dust problem.... just my 2 sens....cheers bro, u're not alone...

I also have the grey blower which i bought long ago to clean my PC stuffs
I just bought a Giottos Rocket Blower Large not long back.
It's much better. the air is much stronger

Cost of it? Only $12 from CP

Maybe you can get a rocket blower and try if it works for u
:)

I got the large one today at CP for $10, didn't even ask for a discount! Maybe the salesman was in a charitable mood :)

It pushes more air than my UN Hurricane, but not as intense. Maybe it's because the outlet diameter is larger than the Hurricane :dunno:

Yo dan,
I got the same freakin Viewfinder dust problem dats pissin me off, and ya like u, it doesnt affect IQ, but it appears in the VF & very obvious in day shots, & its really pissin me off. Ive used the blower and squeezed a ziliion times until I got forearms like California governor, but the freakin dust spots are stil in the VF... tmd... I tried mirror up, mirror down, almost every angle possibe, but cannot get rid of the dust.... I guess only way is to send to CSC, donate some money, hope they dun screw up some other parts while fixing the dust problem.... just my 2 sens....cheers bro, u're not alone...

Haha, sounds like your dust bunnies are larger than mine. I realised that the more I try to clean, the more dust particles land on the VF mirror, which kinds of ridicules me upside down. Stopped bothering about it already, can't beat dust in Singapore's environment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.