Question for Wedding Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoGuy

Sep 18, 2004
Tampines
www.pbase.com
Hi guys, I need some advice. I am doing a wedding on this Saturday. Recently, its been raining... and so my question is:

When the groom arrives to pick up the bride, the brother (Xiao jiu zi) open the door for the groom... the part outdoor where it is a standard to take some pictures, what if it is raining? How do you go about doing it? I thought of using plastic bag to cover the camera but it will be tough to do it over the flash.. or do you think this is good idea? Or perhaps ask someone to help to carry an umbrella over me while I shoot some pics.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

If it's raining heavily, then it's not possible to proceed with the door opening ritual, right? If it's slight drizzle and there's someone sheltering the door boy, then I'm sure it's not a problem to get someone to shelter the photographer, right? So the bottom line is not to worry. :)

PhotoGuy said:
Hi guys, I need some advice. I am doing a wedding on this Saturday. Recently, its been raining... and so my question is:

When the groom arrives to pick up the bride, the brother (Xiao jiu zi) open the door for the groom... the part outdoor where it is a standard to take some pictures, what if it is raining? How do you go about doing it? I thought of using plastic bag to cover the camera but it will be tough to do it over the flash.. or do you think this is good idea? Or perhaps ask someone to help to carry an umbrella over me while I shoot some pics.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.
If you're so worried about the camera, suggest you might as well don't shoot.

pianodancer said:
If it's raining heavily, then it's not possible to proceed with the door opening ritual, right? If it's slight drizzle and there's someone sheltering the door boy, then I'm sure it's not a problem to get someone to shelter the photographer, right? So the bottom line is not to worry. :)

Why is it not possible to proceed with the door opening just because it's raining heavily? You have an invention called - "the umbrella".

espn said:
Why is it not possible to proceed with the door opening just because it's raining heavily? You have an invention called - "the umbrella".
That's because the door opening ritual involves just not 2 persons but many others, like brothers, the 'matchmaker' carrying the bridal basket, videographer (if any). If the rain is heavy, it is too inconvenient to carry on. The ritual is better off postponed till the rain is lighter or to do it at, for example, sheltered car park or podium, usually available at retrofitted housing estates.

My point is, if the photographer is unable to shoot due to rain, the events will most likely be delayed.

get someone to help with an umbrella (or stick one in your shirt!) or just risk a bit of water on the camera. if u're paid, u have to deliver rain or shine. that's where part of the fees go to.... maintenance of the equipment.

ya ...umbrella is ya best bet....trust me..the xiao jiu zhi is gonna open the door wif the umbrella too....alternatively,,,flats these days, bound to have sheltered stopping ard somewhere ...find it man...

cheers..

I suppose that you will have to direct the situation and tell them what you want them to do...

like drive to XXX location where there is shelter.

Thanks for your advices. The bride is living in terrace or semi detached kind of house, not HDB flat so the shelter thingy might not be feasible. I think the best solution is still getting someone to hold the umbrella.

"Hope for the best but prepare for the worst".

Cheers

If it's raining too heavily, I don't think the family will proceed with the 'door opening'. They'll most likely wait a while till it drizzles. Then you can ask someone to hold an umbrella while you shoot. If it's just a drizzle, it should be OK even without umbrellas. :)

Have fun!

whether rain or shine ... the door will still have to be opened ... u cant expect the groom to stay in the car till rain get lighter ... :nono:

chinese traditional also believed in timing ... you cant bet to miss the auspicious time right ?? :dunno:

u r the photohrapher ... u call the shot and deem to do what is best to capture it .... if u miss it .. then up to you lor ... :dunno:

if u cant handle the situation ... then it is not the job for you ..:sweat:

no need to think so much lah....u will always find a way one...u can think and get prepared the day before, and situation can be totally different on the actual day.

U just need to react fast, and think fast, and dont stop shooting even if it rains, remeber!, you are there to capture the actual day events...and who knows, the rain effect might create memories to the couple..!:D

then after 10 years down the road when they are viewing the photos, they will remember ...huh..that special day, it rained!..

hahah. i am talking rubbish....but anyway, we are there to capture the moments..:thumbsup:

'good timings' for modern singapore society is around 8-9am every saturday and sunday. preferably saturdays. strangely applies to sg very faithfully.

use a disposable compact camera if permitted

gernie said:
use a disposable compact camera if permitted

i dont think it would be nice for a wedding(vEEry important) photographer to use disposable cameras

talk to the groom and tell him your plan if its rain.
ask his buddy to carry the umbrella to shield u when u shoot

pianodancer said:
That's because the door opening ritual involves just not 2 persons but many others, like brothers, the 'matchmaker' carrying the bridal basket, videographer (if any). If the rain is heavy, it is too inconvenient to carry on. The ritual is better off postponed till the rain is lighter or to do it at, for example, sheltered car park or podium, usually available at retrofitted housing estates.

My point is, if the photographer is unable to shoot due to rain, the events will most likely be delayed.
See KNIGHT ONG's post below.

roti_prata said:
is ur camera weather-proof?
See KNIGHT ONG's post below.

KNIGHT ONG said:
if u cant handle the situation ... then it is not the job for you ..:sweat:
Exactly my point.

No worries lah, I encountered this kind of situation before - and got no shelter (those old HDB flats).

Just get one of the brothers to help you hold an umbrella if u got no "waterproof" camera lor :bsmilie:

Get a decent umbrella. Get a transparent one or one-color umbrella to make it more memorable if it's raining. You might not want to take a red one becuse the red one is for the bride.

Being a wedding photographer has to think and act fast, no one predicts the weather and like many of them say, a little bit of raining on your camera wont die, get the job done is important. It will be worst if no picture from the opening of door.

Lastly, if it rains and you got the umbrella and helper to take the umbrella. Take some shots of the opening of door quickly. If you are fortunate to have 2 umbrella and 2 helpers to help you. Position one at the brother-in-law that side to shield the groom from rain and take one. Quickly squat down at an angle which you can see both the groom and the brother-in-law and take one more shot to record down that day of the rain. It is hard but well, just my suggestion. As for helpers, no need to hire one, just get help from the bride's house, surely she has a lot of sisters on that day.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Hi Photoguy

if all else fails, you can also try shooting from a sheltered area using a telephoto lens. You'll have to plan it before it happens though. In response to other posters who said you shouldn't do the shoot if you can't handle it, i think they're being a little rough on you so don't take it to heart. We all started out from the beginning at some point, just make sure you handle the couple's expectations as best as you can. Most important of all..have fun. We're all learning no matter how many wedidngs we've shot. Good luck and hope to see your pics soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.