question for the experienced

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudoofus

Sep 20, 2004
anybody with experienced eyes can tell which lens was used for this photo?

no postprocessing for levels or colours. only USM of 0.3 pixels to compensate for downsizing of image.

13601IMG_9564_resize.jpg

can anyone tell whether a bounce device for the flash was used, or a flash bracket?

13601IMG_9858_resize.jpg

just curious whether those BUY BUY BUY advocates for L glass and other equipment have the eye to spot the difference from normal equipment. :p

hahaha, i know your intentions. but this hardly qualifies as a legitimate test for lens quality ;) sorry to burst your bubble

ok, i'll try the answers to your questions anyway...hehe

1st pic...obviously you are hinting about the kit lens ;p
2nd pic...judging from the angle of shadow...you are using the pop-up flash (i know you are using a 20D, from your other posts)

both pics are shot with kit lens. i left the 50/1.8 in the bag, as shooting mainly the cars, and not portraits of the models.

just trying to show that there's still life in the kit and low end lens. :sweatsm:

so anyone shot with L lens and can show the difference with colours? :p

btw, mount flash was used for both pics. :sweat:

eudoofus said:
both pics are shot with kit lens. i left the 50/1.8 in the bag, as shooting mainly the cars, and not portraits of the models.

just trying to show that there's still life in the kit and low end lens. :sweatsm:

so anyone shot with L lens and can show the difference with colours? :p

If you dun do any post process.. shooting with L glass and kits lens on contrast alone you can tell very obviously.

jimtong said:
If you dun do any post process.. shooting with L glass and kits lens on contrast alone you can tell very obviously.
If U're printing bigger, 8R or larger. also can see the difference.
For normal 4R shots, any P&S will do.

but what is your point?

Hi bro, post some small pics how to tell the diff?
Try to take some pics with L-lens and cheapo Kit-lens and blow them up to 8 X 12 and above and I can ensure you that there is diff!
Ever think why does ppl fork out so much $$$ to buy L-lens when the kit-lens is same quality as it?

XXX Boy said:
Hi bro, post some small pics how to tell the diff?
Try to take some pics with L-lens and cheapo Kit-lens and blow them up to 8 X 12 and above and I can ensure you that there is diff!
Ever think why does ppl fork out so much $$$ to buy L-lens when the kit-lens is same quality as it?

to show off the white barrel and red ring? :bsmilie:
just kidding.
but how often do those L lens owners blow up their photos to 8x12? :sweat:

i have a colleague who tries to push me to buy L lens. He said kit lens is no good. i said siao, where got so much $$$? and i'm not magazine photographer, only starting on freelance. won't need any L lens for now. ;)

for digital users, you can post process. LL for film users. :sweat:

AReality said:
If U're printing bigger, 8R or larger. also can see the difference.
For normal 4R shots, any P&S will do.

are you referring to sharpness?

13601IMG_9774_copy.jpg

this is straight from camera with kit lens. no post processing, only cropped from 8mp image.

cropped from this shot.
13601IMG_9774_resize.jpg

simulated L lens contrast and sharpness? :dunno:
13601IMG_9774_pp.jpg

post processed from the crop above. Curves and USM 0.6px.

was thinking, if you're going to print 8x12 enlargements, surely you'll post process the image right?

so is the L worth it? :dunno:

13601IMG_9796_copy.jpg

there are so many things you can do with post processing nowadays. :think:

eudoofus said:
to show off the white barrel and red ring? :bsmilie:
just kidding.
but how often do those L lens owners blow up their photos to 8x12? :sweat:

i have a colleague who tries to push me to buy L lens. He said kit lens is no good. i said siao, where got so much $$$? and i'm not magazine photographer, only starting on freelance. won't need any L lens for now. ;)

for digital users, you can post process. LL for film users. :sweat:

Hi newbie,
when u realise that sharpness & contrast & colour is not the only thing that the L lens has an advantage over a kit lens, I'll promote you.

What you need is to get hold of one, test the AF speed, build quality, chromatic aberration, aperature size, shock resistivity, & much more...

From all the replies to this thread, you can see that no one is on your side.

I conclude that you're just having sour grapes because you think everyone who has a white barrel or red ring is showing off.

Since you don't blow your photos to 8x12, I'm sure you can live without the L series. BTW, the more you shoot, the more you'll improve. Don't give up photography just because NTUC sell you expired grapes. :)

haha! hey are u trying to make those guys who bought L lenses look so dumb and silly with their L lense? hello?

L lense have their advantages. image quality with them are unmatched.

anyway. nice shots.

davsmiths said:
haha! hey are u trying to make those guys who bought L lenses look so dumb and silly with their L lense? hello?

L lense have their advantages. image quality with them are unmatched.

anyway. nice shots.

of course not. L lens have better built quality, weather-sealed, better coating, reduced CA, sharper focus, less distortion, faster AF, much better resale value, bigger apertures, more blades for the aperture diaphragm, better bokeh etc. However all these come at a premium. $$$

I'm saying for those who can't afford, normal kit, primes and post processing can still give acceptable images. Even CA can be post processed away with ACR for example. So for newbies not to be blinded by the BUY BUY BUY bug. Suggest to think carefully what your needs are. If your needs and photography work demand a L lens, go for it! :bsmilie:

of course film users LL, have to use L lens if they want quality. You can't post process away CA with a scanned colour film image. :sweat:

AReality said:
Hi newbie,
when u realise that sharpness & contrast & colour is not the only thing that the L lens has an advantage over a kit lens, I'll promote you.

What you need is to get hold of one, test the AF speed, build quality, chromatic aberration, aperature size, shock resistivity, & much more...

From all the replies to this thread, you can see that no one is on your side.

I conclude that you're just having sour grapes because you think everyone who has a white barrel or red ring is showing off.

Since you don't blow your photos to 8x12, I'm sure you can live without the L series. BTW, the more you shoot, the more you'll improve. Don't give up photography just because NTUC sell you expired grapes. :)

i hope this is not a personal attack? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.