Question for Shutter and Aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCYong

Jun 18, 2008
Singapore
As we all know, the shutter and aperture is decided by the situation of the scene where u want to shoot~
According to the guide books from pro, I found out that
They always use the aperture by f2, f4, f5.6, f8, f11
the shutter speed by second.., 1/2, 1/4, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250 etc such fixed number
where is the 1/160, 1/25, 1/1.6, f4.5, f7.1 ?????

noob question , but really a question~ha
is they used to the number when going to choose them?
or formula?
wonder as if the 1/125 f4 , if the light becomes just a LITTLE darker or LITTLE brighter
what they adjust? from 1/125 to 1/100?
but never seen~~~

What i mean is for the books by the professional, just wondering, but the really nice photos they did~haha

Pls go READ UP the Photography Notes For Newbies

You need to understand the aperture, shutter and ISO co-relation first.

As for the f1.8, f7.1 (these are 1/3 steps in between the proper stops)

f1.8 - f2 - f2.2 - f2.5 - f2.8 (f2 to f2.8 is one stop)

same with the shutter speeds....

I believe KCYong is asking why pros normally use full-stops rather than 1/3 or 1/2 stops. Sorry I don't know the answer too.. heheh...

I believe KCYong is asking why pros normally use full-stops rather than 1/3 or 1/2 stops. Sorry I don't know the answer too.. heheh...

Plausible. But TS phrased it in a very interesting way :sweat:

Well, if that really was the question, another thing to add is that the dynamic range of film is much wider than that of digital sensors, so the impact of over/underexposing isn't as significant compared to digital sensors.

maybe the Pros did indeed use half or 1/3 stop, but for convenience sake, list the settings as full stops.

in fact, i tink modern camera settings are even more precise than 1/3 stop, but on the LCD, the photographer only sees up to 1/3 stop difference.

Wah, you have high comprehension skills. i couldn't figure out what TS was trying to say.

Probably due to the fact that there wasn't much point to go to 1/3 stops for films and slides. Most didn't even offer this fine settings till much later.

After-all, in post processing for both film and digital, you're able to pull or push it anyway...

At least we can have a fair guess that the pros are using those fine settings, but for elaboration purpose for most cameras, they use full stops. :) ok case closed. :) HOHO;p

Honestly though, what's the point in knowing what settings these pros use? When you are shooting a scene, you meter for yourself because each scene is going to be different.

Thanks all ur help
i get some ideas from ur answers really appeciate^^

i only ASKING WHY
haha why so many conflict ==haha

Thanks ^^

Thanks all ur help
i get some ideas from ur answers really appeciate^^

i only ASKING WHY
haha why so many conflict ==haha

Thanks ^^

because photography is a journey of self-discovery

it is more than just following magic settings..

and you don't seem to be indulging in the self-discovery part, i seriously urge you to read up more and engage in that portion, it is the most fun if you ask me

because photography is a journey of self-discovery

it is more than just following magic settings..

and you don't seem to be indulging in the self-discovery part, i seriously urge you to read up more and engage in that portion, it is the most fun if you ask me

not so cheem.

later he cannot understand.

==
i'm discovering on my camera , and discovering the guide books, learn and try all the way
dont know, not sure, then ask and learn
it is learning process~
wrong? ==
one hav one's learning style
and u also dont know what i do in the self-discovery part

thanks and sorry ^^

学问 学问 学问
要“学”会
就要“问”

hope u can understand :p

Not that this will help the TS (believe his question has been answered anyway), but to clarify some misconceptions about shooting on film in the 'old days'. Negatives (colour & B/W) are indeed tolerant to exposure errors, within limits. Not so slide films -- if anything, they were harder to shoot properly than digital. I regularly bracketed in half-stops. Some did so in third-stops. Some deliberately underexposed 1/3 to 1/2-stop to get punchier colours.
You couldn't push or pull development to save individual shots (except perhaps sheet film) because you pushed/pulled an entire roll! You had to decide if you wanted to push/pull from the very first shot on that roll, and processing costs shot up.
As for fine control, with mechanically-linked lenses i.e. those with aperture rings, you could set your aperture IN-BETWEEN detents to get fine control. For e.g. the detents on my CY-mount lenses were in full-stops, but that didn't stop me from setting the aperture in between to 1/2-stops, 1/3-stops or whatever. My old Sekonic meter used to read in 1/10 stops!
All my SLRs had electronic shutters, so shutter speeds were set in full-stops, but in aperture-priority, all the SLRs I own feature continuously variable shutter speeds. On my Yashica MAT 124 (a mechanical medium format TLR) both shutter speeds and apertures are continuously variable, no detents. How's that for fine control? ;)

学问 学问 学问
要“学”会
就要“问”

totally agreed

学问 学问 学问
要“学”会
就要“问”

yes, i understand

sorry if you misconstrued what i meant, what i meant is that, if you read harder, these books you are reading actually have the answer

yes, 要问才会学, but i think , it is fair to say, if your questions are not the usual or more valid ones, then it is only natural for people to think otherwise.

anyways, to answer your question

every lighting situation needs a certain amount of exposure, exposure for your camera is affected by:

1) shutter speed
2) aperture
3) iso

these choices all affect other things, as the books would tell you, shutter speed would affect the amount of motion in your picture (think about it, and you'll see why).. aperture will affect depth of field (or how much of the picture is in focus) and iso will affect the amount of grain in the picture.

==
i'm discovering on my camera , and discovering the guide books, learn and try all the way
dont know, not sure, then ask and learn
it is learning process~
wrong? ==
one hav one's learning style
and u also dont know what i do in the self-discovery part

thanks and sorry ^^

the question u initially posted was very specific. but remember, the single speed, fixed aperture, plastic lens Holga creates stunnin pic in competent hands.

there are many different "thoughts" on photography.

even the Gods of photography had something to say about the other. i recall reading somewhere that "Bresson actually grumbled that while the world was fallin apart, all Adam photographed were rocks!"

technical aspect are important, but more important (i feel), is to ve a free and open mind. eg, when i see 陈瑞献 's artwork, he is jus like a child, totally free, w/o restriction, back to the raw beauty of things (of course, his foundation is rock solid).

since shooting digital is literally FOC, jus shoot as u read and learn, and discover along the way.

happy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.