Question for seasoned travellers (Lense in check in luggage)

Cephas

Jul 12, 2007
Hi everyone, would be traveling to Australia tomorrow night. Am packing my bag and wondering something. Should I place my 70-200 inside my camera bag which is placed in my luggage and check it in? Picture of luggage lay out:
_MG_8789-1.jpg

I intend to place extra padding inside the camera bag.

Ideally I would carry my camera bag and just bring a backpack. But I am also bringing my flight bag as I would be flying during my holiday. I doubt I would be allowed to carry both onboard. Unfortunately I'm not an airline pilot therefore I doubt I would have any concessions for the flight bag. Picture of flight bag:
_MG_8790.jpg

How? Any ideas for this noob?

Suggest you hand carry your DSLR with the lens attached around your neck, or wear a jacket and put all the lenses in the pockets.

I would not advise checking in any lenses or cameras.

Best to keep your camera equipment with you at all times. You can probably get through with a small backpack/pouch and a handcarry.

Thanks all for advices.. I might end up bringing a nondescript backpack instead of my lowepro camera bag.

Best to keep your camera equipment with you at all times. You can probably get through with a small backpack/pouch and a handcarry.

Singapore side shdn't be a problem with a small backpack and handcarry. but Aussie side for the return trip, I think its no hope.

i would not put my expensive lenses in check-in.

the only thing i put in check-in is slr ($50 and less) and 28mm /24mm primes (each $30 and less)

i wouldn't check in my camera equipment. have you seen how the luggages can be handled? some of them treat it like bowling balls!

Hi there,
You never check in your camera and lens and should always hand carry them. Get one of those oblong "cabin suitcase" (maximum size allowed for handcarry) with built in trolley and pack your camera bag containing camera and lens in this cabin suitcase. You can also use the extra space for your other knick knacks. I have gone to Australia last year and just came from Korea this way using this method. I normally carry 2 Slr bodies with a 50-500mm zoom plus one wide angle and a flash unit. Upon arrival at destination, your camera bag comes to use while you utilize the cabin bag for your clothes. Hope that solves your problem. Happy holidays

Andy Foo www.flickr.com/photos/jbfoo

I agree with everyone else in the forum. Since having started frequently travelling in and out of Dubai; I have never once checked in my camera body or lens. Though I heard that checked in cargo are controlled by temperature sensors but it's just much too cold for the lens which will result in condensation in and on the lens once you alight at your destination. So If you're planning to use your camera straight away, that might be a problem.

Carry all your camera gear with you. That way you'll feel more safe as well. Bring a bigger non-descript bag with padded lens cases and just stow it in the overhead compartment. Australia is a rather safe country so don't worry about it. Just make sure you're not asleep if the plane is in transit or stopover.:)

Most importantly, enjoy your trip!

I used to work temp in the airport luggage handling back at terminal 2..during busy times we would throw luggage around like basketballs..that os why u need a luggage strap for those hardcase luggaue in case the lock give way..all your stuffs will be flying around..

Hi everyone, would be traveling to Australia tomorrow night. Am packing my bag and wondering something. Should I place my 70-200 inside my camera bag which is placed in my luggage and check it in? Picture of luggage lay out:
_MG_8789-1.jpg

I intend to place extra padding inside the camera bag.

Ideally I would carry my camera bag and just bring a backpack. But I am also bringing my flight bag as I would be flying during my holiday. I doubt I would be allowed to carry both onboard. Unfortunately I'm not an airline pilot therefore I doubt I would have any concessions for the flight bag. Picture of flight bag:
_MG_8790.jpg

How? Any ideas for this noob?

Guess you already in Australia.
AS many others said, never check in your fragile item. Once you see how they handle your luggage when the luggage get out from the plane, you will know ;)

You are using lowepro backpack, this one is perfectly fine on flight. I've done that many times, budget, non budget airline :)