Question for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsh

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I am using both a 50mm lens and also a 75-- 300mm lens.

I went to great wall of china last month and was not able to take good pictures. I either was able only to take either the background wall clearly or the person infront of me.

How do i take good pictures of both the far away objects and the near objects at the same time.

i was using a cannon 10-D.

please help

just use a smaller aperture.....f11 and up.....to get both person and background sharp.....but you have to watch the lighting conditions....cause you need to use a slower shutter speed for smaller apertures.....and this may mean camera shake....

Robin said:
just use a smaller aperture.....f11 and up.....to get both person and background sharp.....but you have to watch the lighting conditions....cause you need to use a slower shutter speed for smaller apertures.....and this may mean camera shake....

or u can push up e ISO or use tripod if u haf one!

what if the lightnings are quite dark...are there any suggestions?

can you please give me a guide on what app, i should use or should i throw more flash?

ebsh said:
can you please give me a guide on what app, i should use or should i throw more flash?
why don't you post some of your pics and let us see theM?

I can think of few things to help.
1) use scene mode, which will choose higher F stop as much as possible.
2) use Av, set F stop value around f11 and above
3) use a wide/normal zoom range, probably below 40mm on 10D.
Ofcourse when there's not enough light, choose higher ISO (I prefer stay iso800 or below), or use flash if person is darker than background.

ebsh said:

(Or you can use a cheap P&S camera...haha... :devil: )

Or a more practical solution would be to use a shorter focal length combined with a reasonable small aperture, e.g. 50mm at f/5.6 or f/8.

Three factors combine to affect the Depth of Field: (1) aperture, (2) distance of subject from camera, and (3) focal length.

Status
Not open for further replies.