question> Dry-Cabinet or Dry-Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiszRie

Oct 15, 2006
Singapore
i'm presented with 2 choices, a dry-cabinet or a dry-box for storage of my photographic equipments

the problem is i'm unsure which to choose! i'm worried that the dry-cabinet uses up too much electricity and at the same time i'm worried about the reliability of dry-boxes and the hassle of needing to change silica gel every now and then.

what are your opinions on this issue?

For storage (permanent), it is better dry cabinet. For move around, dry box is a choice.

Regards,
Arto.

You dun have to worry too much over power consumption. The unit would cut off when the %RH has been reached. And besides, it's consumption is low. 5W IIRC.

Think you need to monitor the silica gel if u wanna use dry box,right? Dry cab saves the hassle.

Think you need to monitor the silica gel if u wanna use dry box,right? Dry cab saves the hassle.

You are right. and the colbalt issue too. :sweat:

dry cabinent :D :D

i have one its very useful :D :D

It is quite an obvious choice.

Cabinet cost so much more, and still got ppl buy. This tells you something right.

Get a dry cabinet. The power consumption is quite negligible, less than a fridge.

is a dry-cab prone to malfunctions? is there any need for maintenance? and if its needed, how often should it be done?

thanks in advance.

i will recommend a dry cabinet. dosen't really use up too much energy though, and you can gt one quite cheap too. n one thing is that dry box can't really fit in yr equipments as it accumlates, so dry cabinet is still the best choice.
if you wanna gt one can visit dis site to order it: http://www.digihub.com.sg/index.aspx.
free delivery to yr hse too.

cheers.

I have a couple of dry cabi that I don't even remember when I bought it with warranty card dunno throw where liao. Recently cathayphoto got promotion I get 2 more and it works ok. Its just a simple machine with no complications and won't take much electricity or technical knowledge to let it work. I have those dry silica thing that I put in my cupboard, always have to go dry every few days or weeks especially during these few season.

If u have less expensive things to take care of then u can always consider a dry box. If u think u have more important items to keep, then dry cabi is the better way.

I have a couple of dry cabi that I don't even remember when I bought it with warranty card dunno throw where liao. Recently cathayphoto got promotion I get 2 more and it works ok. Its just a simple machine with no complications and won't take much electricity or technical knowledge to let it work. I have those dry silica thing that I put in my cupboard, always have to go dry every few days or weeks especially during these few season.

If u have less expensive things to take care of then u can always consider a dry box. If u think u have more important items to keep, then dry cabi is the better way.

in other words, a dry-cabi is a much better investment? =)

is a dry-cab prone to malfunctions? is there any need for maintenance? and if its needed, how often should it be done?

thanks in advance.

Mine has been running for years, zero maintenance, and not malfunctioning. I think Dry box with Sillica more maintenance needed loor...

If you get a good drybox that seals well and you don't open it often, the silica gel will last you months. The problem lies in frequent opening of the box. Good boxes can be from Tupperware too, or those with rubber seals. As one of the people said, these can be easily moved.

A drycabinet is offcourse much easier to use, but the initial buying costs can be quite high depending on the size.......

HS

Look at it this way:

Cost of Dry cab Vs Cost of replacement/repair/servicing*.

Which one will cost more in the long run?

:)

Edit: *cost of replacement/repair/servicing of your equipment damaged by fungus.

If you get a good drybox that seals well and you don't open it often, the silica gel will last you months. The problem lies in frequent opening of the box. Good boxes can be from Tupperware too, or those with rubber seals. As one of the people said, these can be easily moved.

A drycabinet is offcourse much easier to use, but the initial buying costs can be quite high depending on the size.......

HS

And you can get too low humidity too. You can't control the gels.

Look at it this way:

Cost of Dry cab Vs Cost of replacement/repair/servicing.

Don't understand the question. Cost of Dry Cabi VS what again? There's no contrasting subject in the question. What are you comparing here?

Look at it this way:

Cost of Dry cab Vs Cost of replacement/repair/servicing.

The cost of a new dry can isn't too high and they last for years. Mine cabinets has been running for yonks now and hasn't given me any problems. So far that have not cost me a cent in terms of replacement/repair/servicing.

The costs & effort they have saved me throughout the years have been worth every cent liao! :bsmilie:

i guess i'll be getting a dry cabi then.... $138 for a 40litres digitally controlled dry cabi.

Status
Not open for further replies.