Question: Anyone thought about creating their own Compact or DSLR??

kriegsketten

Apr 7, 2010
Southern Enclave
I mean, it's possible to get replacement parts from known manufacturers (CMOS sensors, lenses, LCD screens), the only thing is you need to create a body out of possible 3-D rapid prototyping technologies? There are so many such sprouting on the internet these days??

Theoretically speaking would it be possible to create your own SUPER duper cam right from scratch?

don't think it is possible. Even if you manage to get all the hardware, you still need the necessary knowledge/know how to connect everything, and also you will need to design a firmware for the camera too?

If anyone can come up with a camera that easily, the camera manufacturers will be long out of business.

not forgetting the user interface and image processing algorithms that goes into even a simple point and shoot

don't think it is possible. Even if you manage to get all the hardware, you still need the necessary knowledge/know how to connect everything, and also you will need to design a firmware for the camera too?

If anyone can come up with a camera that easily, the camera manufacturers will be long out of business.

But would that be possible with a film camera? I'm not talking about a state of the art PnS or DSLR here, we're talking about a hobby camera that might do away to many niceties that comes with the commercial cams these days... so no menus, etc may even do away with the LCDs. Just the viewfinder will do? No auto focus, just as direct as possible... For example, a 50mm f/1.4 cam with manual focusing. You shoot through the view finder, the only problem as you've said is the image processing part...

Last edited:
But would that be possible with a film camera? I'm not talking about a state of the art PnS or DSLR here, we're talking about a hobby camera that might do away to many niceties that comes with the commercial cams these days... so no menus, etc may even do away with the LCDs. Just the viewfinder will do? No auto focus, just as direct as possible... For example, a 50mm f/1.4 cam with manual focusing. You shoot through the view finder, the only problem as you've said is the image processing part...

Use black cloth to open first curtain, and to close second curtain. And then those old type flash that POOMZ and come out a lot of smoke one... :lovegrin:

yes, i can do it with a tissue paper box and a hole. :bsmilie:

well, actually to be serious i prefer thinking about the japanese xmm clad in bikini putting my dslr together.............. mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

that is well worth paying the money for my camera.....

ok ok serious.

i will use a cadbury chocolate metal box and a hole. :bsmilie:
How about putting our dslr in the chocolate box with a hole?.......................haha....:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I have applied for two of my inventions to be patented...

The first is a integrated digital photographic lens and optical projection system that display a image in its field of view (FoV) to a maximum size of 17 meters by 10 meters onto any surfaces so one could literally do a painting of the image in real time.

The second is a photographic lens with a photochromic front element thus negating a need for a UV filter. Together with a top-secret lens coating, it will have up to 199.99% light amplification and full colour transmission capability allowing the user to shoot at a lower ISO without compromising the shutter speed at night. ;)

Last edited:
This thread is officially dead, and has just transcend to a "just for laughs" topic. Thanks to wacked out minds like yours - I think the CMOS sensors in both your brains have been knocked out of their sockets... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Thanks for the TGIF stand up comedy, folks! :bsmilie:

I have applied for two of my inventions to be patented...

The first is a integrated digital photographic lens and optical projection system that display a image in its field of view (FoV) to a maximum size of 17 meters by 10 meters onto any surfaces so one could literally do a painting of the image in real time.

The second is a photographic lens with a photochromic front element thus negating a need for a UV filter. Together with a top-secret lens coating, it will have up to 199.99% light amplification and full colour transmission capability allowing the user to shoot at a lower ISO without compromising the shutter speed at night. ;)

Wait... I digress from my last comment... Are you serious??? :eek: You ain't pulling my leg with your tech-talk right??

Last edited:

boy, the best inventions are the simplest ones.

i don't get your jargon. i think "cadbury chocolate box" is a lot more understandable and easy to produce then what optical projection system, photochromic (is there even such a word) and light amplication....