question: any light dlsr for female/beginner?

boxiez

Apr 25, 2010
Singapore West
hi all. any nice "So call budget" DSLR recommended for female user?

prefer to be light and for beginners.

thanks all.

as for nikon i think all the entry level are small n compact eg d3k d3.1k ~~~

my gf are using the d3k and shes ok with the weight and size~

best is to ask your friend to go try herself =D

Last edited:
hi all. any nice "So call budget" DSLR recommended for female user?

prefer to be light and for beginners.

thanks all.

All entry-level DSLRs are lightweight.

Personally I'd recommend a sony A33/A55. Small, you can flip the LCD to be front-facing (for taking pictures of yourself and friends) and the autofocus in liveview mode and in video is fast. Also has a very "newbie friendly' interface.

Have TS tot of micro 4/3? The EP-L2 seemed like a good and very light camera. So is the Sony's NEX-3 or 5... they are not exactly DSLR, but I believe they produce very DSLR like image IQ and are very light.

All entry-level DSLRs are lightweight.

Personally I'd recommend a sony A33/A55. Small, you can flip the LCD to be front-facing (for taking pictures of yourself and friends) and the autofocus in liveview mode and in video is fast. Also has a very "newbie friendly' interface.

Sony A33 & A55 are DSLR instead of SLT?

most the sub 1k entry level DSLR are compact, light weight, user friendly to beginners, economy, it will suit your need,

start with reading the Guide to DSLR photography for Newbies + Product/Price/Outlet List

than go to stores like Harvey Normal, Courts, Best Denki to have a feel of the different brands and models of cameras in your hands.

note down your preference, compare the spec, than check out the Price Guides make couple of phone calls to check out latest price and stock availability.

they're SLT cameras. but what i think TS is looking for would encompass the SLT as well.

same family of cameras that can change lenses here and there. they're actually the lightest interchangeable lens cameras around. (apart from the e-mount and 4/3 and micro 4/3 systems)

Meh, don't really care too much about the naming in that sense, more like the size. DSLT is a DSLR without the flapping mirror (using a pellicle mirror instead) and quite a few other changes (EVF vs. OVF), but the main point is that in terms of overall size, lens choice and sensor it's like a "classic" DSLR.

Pentax Kr

Comes in many colors as well.
Pentax DSLRs are typically designed smaller than their counterparts.
c4178_1284039019.usr15670.jpg

pentax-k-r-dslr-camera-camo-01.jpg

Comes in black, white and pink locally. Need to buy online for other colors (though I'm not sure about the new camo ones, which the distributor might bring in )

Typically smaller lenses too
429.jpg

pentaxII.jpg

Well featured camera with more functions and performance than most other entry level cameras at the same price point.

else, the A55, Olympus and Panasonic u4/2 series cameras may suit your needs as well.

wow thanks alot for all the info. :p
is sony nex3 / nex5 a DSLR?

wow thanks alot for all the info. :p
is sony nex3 / nex5 a DSLR?

No, the NEX system is not a DSLR. It's a small mirrorless camera format, but it has a DSLR sensor built in. So you can get point-and-shoot compact user-friendliness and interface, but DSLR-like image quality.

But for overall performance I'd recommend an A33/A55. Massive feature list and more expandability as it's part of a "full" DSLR system (Sony Alpha system).

And the tilting LCD (flip it forward so you can see yourself when taking photos of yourself) with the fast and accurate autofocus seems quite popular with girls/ladies.

Hi
My answer is- a Canon 1000D/1100D or Nikon D 3100 --

Thanks
Alok

Hi

Thanks
Alok

Certainly good choices as are all entry-level DSLR cameras, but when you consider the cost of those sets, you can get a much more full-featured DSLR for the same price or cheaper.

Lets not get into which brand is better than others and which camera brand shares same sensor or what. I would suggest to TS to just go to the shop and try out different entry level DSLR, SLT, whatever that she feels right and get the one that most closely related to her ergonomically, financially, etc, irregardless of what brands and what brand senor in that brand of camera.

Hi

Thanks
Alok

Certainly good choices as are all entry-level DSLR cameras, but when you consider the cost of those sets, you can get a much more full-featured DSLR for the same price or cheaper.

Have to agree. Not the smallest nor the best featured and performing for the same price point.
Kr, A55, NEX, NX10, Oly and Pan u4/3 series will be better fit for TS.

I think TS should decide the brand or isolate two brands of choice. Looking across all brands might give you a huge headache when comparing. Look at those who will shoot with you, it's easier to follow brand as you can get help easily and borrow lens to test.

camera being light is one thing but have to take into account also the weight of the lens and accessories.

One of the lightest combos is Pentax Kr with the 18-55mm and the 35mm f/2.4 which works well in both daytime and nightime shoot.

Consider mirrorless options like the Samsung NX10, NX100 or the Panasonic G series or Olympus E series.

The NX10 with a 30mm pancake lens is a nice and good value package.

Mirrorless cameras are the future of professional photography since they offer DSLR image quality in a smaller and more compact package.

definitely a Pentax K - Series. A few of my year 4 classmates bought the colorful K-x to use for their arts and history projects.