Question abt VGA cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi,

my vga cable wasnt long enough and so i got a slightly longer one at i think 1.5m long to replace my original.

it seems that now my LCD display isnt sharp anymore. it seems that there a grey ring around my text. is this due to the longer VGA cable? its something like using the outer glow effect on the text in Photoshop.

It getting to be kinda disturbing on my eyes man :confused:

Thanks...

have u tried replacing to a shorter one? it maybe hard to get it to connect since u need a long calbe in the forst place, but at least u eliminate some theories.

cheers mate

you can't really extend the VGA cables in that manner, as the high-frequency analog RGB signals can cause unwanted signal reflections (electrical standing waves) between the video card and the monitor input. this has got something to do with the mismatching of the characteristic impedance of the transmission cable. the longer the VGA cable, the more ghosting edges can be found.

as a result, you'll see that the raster image is no longer tack sharp, and defined edges of the text looks like "ghosting". (you can find examples of such in SLS where they have multiple monitors hooked up via a splitter box and the resulting ghosting image on the monitors)

most monitors have their VGA cables permanently linked and not removable. if it's removable, then it pays to get those better grade of cables to minimise such artifacts.

hope that helps.

wainism said:
hi,

my vga cable wasnt long enough and so i got a slightly longer one at i think 1.5m long to replace my original.

it seems that now my LCD display isnt sharp anymore. it seems that there a grey ring around my text. is this due to the longer VGA cable? its something like using the outer glow effect on the text in Photoshop.

It getting to be kinda disturbing on my eyes man :confused:

Thanks...

indeed now i m using my original vga cable and all seems fine again.

is there anyway i can "extend" my vga cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.