question abt the 4/3 system

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually, i dun think anyone can tell from the background bokeh, what lens & what F no. was used in any given photo. so why bother to see if lens A is set at F5.6 or F2.8? i am someone who truely believe in using existing equipment to craft your shot.

on a personal note, i have seen some sample shots taken with the 50mm macro lens & i like what i see irregardless of 2x crop factor, DOF difference, different aperture values, sensor closer to lens, smaller image circle, etc... at the end of the day, if the shot looks good to u, its a winner. :thumbsup:

Hi Nightpiper,

can you explain what a bokeh is to a greenbie. :D Hv been wondering as I came across it many times on this forum.
I read somewhere on this forum that this is a Japanese word. If it is the Japanese word I know, it should be spelt as bokei. It means in a daze, or something to that effect...But have not seen it used in Japanese as UOF. If it is not UOF, does it mean in the abstract sense, ie, the background looks hazy, etc.

Thanks!

This photo was taken by a E-1 user with his ZD 50-200mm lens at 200mm, 1/500s, f/5.6
585756-large.jpg

Note the bokeh in the background - all those roundish light spots and how sharp the image is and at the tele end of the zoom some more. At >$2k, it is little bit too ex for my wallet.

When coupled with the extension tube (EX-25), it turns into a very capable macro zoom lens as can be seen here:
{Q}PB271020.jpg

I'm hoping that the new but much cheaper Zuiko 40-150mm lens can work well with the extension tube too for these would be what I would be getting with the E-300. :)

Tomcat,

I tested the 50mm f2 with EX-25 (at olympus singapore).. the EX-25, tough cliaming at maximum of 2X magnification, I fail to see its effects. Furthermore the working distance is so close that its hard to shoot, for example, the bees that you shot.

you bother to share your experience with the EX-25 a bit. maybe some macro pics to demonstrate the differences with and without the EX-25.

kimbo said:
Tomcat,

I tested the 50mm f2 with EX-25 (at olympus singapore).. the EX-25, tough cliaming at maximum of 2X magnification, I fail to see its effects. Furthermore the working distance is so close that its hard to shoot, for example, the bees that you shot.

you bother to share your experience with the EX-25 a bit. maybe some macro pics to demonstrate the differences with and without the EX-25.
Sorry if I misled you but that bee pic wasn't shot by me. It was an example I got from the Olympus SLR forum at dpreview.

My E-300 hasn't arrived yet. As I like to shoot macros (mostly of fishes though), I am very interested in the macro capability of the E-system and am trying to work out a list of accessories that I would be getting with the E-300.

I have read that the EX-25 works well with the 50mm macro and in fact was marketed as an extension for that lens. Maybe the 50mm/EX-25 combination is more suitable for shooting flat or inanimate objects then. According to users' reports, it seems to work remarkably well with zoom lenses like the 50-200mm. Also, as you have noted, it works very well on lenses with focal lengths above 50mm with regard to image quality and shooting distance.

I will certainly be trying this out with the cheaper 40-150mm zoom lens when I get the E-300.

serene said:
Hi Nightpiper,

can you explain what a bokeh is to a greenbie. :D Hv been wondering as I came across it many times on this forum.
I read somewhere on this forum that this is a Japanese word. If it is the Japanese word I know, it should be spelt as bokei. It means in a daze, or something to that effect...But have not seen it used in Japanese as UOF. If it is not UOF, does it mean in the abstract sense, ie, the background looks hazy, etc.

Thanks!

i m not sure where the word bokeh comes from, it cud very well be jap. like u said, if its jap, its spelt as bokei. anyway, its a term used to describe how soft/blur/beautiful the background is.

looking at the bee shot again, i can't tell what F no. is used or at what end is the 50-200mm set when it was taken. so, just use a lens that suits ur needs & craft the image from there. the shot just further emphasised my point. even for the 1st flower shot, if u tell me its shot at F8, i will take your word for it. ;p

also looking at some samples of the E300 floating around, my observation is that the cheaper lenses r not as sharp & detail as the 'pro' lens. so i m not banging on the cheaper 14-45mm or 40-150mm.

(ps. the 50-200mm is about S$1800. so its still pretty affordable)

Beautiful pics and very distinct Bokeh effect with the E1 camera. I think I am going ahead with my E300 booking. ;p Any idea if promo is still on at AP?

nightpiper said:
i
looking at the bee shot again, i can't tell what F no. is used or at what end is the 50-200mm set when it was taken. so, just use a lens that suits ur needs & craft the image from there. the shot just further emphasised my point. even for the 1st flower shot, if u tell me its shot at F8, i will take your word for it. ;p
hehe....nightpiper, me too and i can't tell. But you'd be surprised that there are many people from the N or C camps who can tell you whether a pic is shot by a 85/1.2 85/1.4, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8.... etc, from the perspective and bokeh. But they are mostly lao jiaos. I am still a greenie, got pretty scene i just whack with any lens. If you gimme 2 pics 28mm and 75mm, ok maybe i can tell. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.