question abt event shooting technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey91

Jan 1, 2006
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
abt the fashion show/ event... wat should i set my D50 setting... WB,aperture,metering...
cos i think my skill very very poor... & i duuno how to improve my skill... any 'sifu' can teach me??:embrass: :)
here are my pics chew sin huey & a-DO
all are use 70-300mm G without speedlight...
cos i also dunno how to set my SB-600...:embrass:

n here pics are taken with my 50mm & SB-600 auto mote...
bridal road show

any suggestion technique for me...:) thx!!!

1. WB - Auto
2. Safest Mode to Use - P
3. For noisy pictures, you may set your LongExp NR - ON
4. For Fashion Runway Shoot, your shutter speed should be above 1/100 at least
5. When your lens is zoomed to 200mm and no VR, shuttle speed should not drop to below 1/125 if its hand-helded
6. You can set your SB-600 to TTL/AA mode for ease of use

ShawnQuah said:
1. WB - Auto
2. Safest Mode to Use - P
3. For noisy pictures, you may set your LongExp NR - ON
4. For Fashion Runway Shoot, your shutter speed should be above 1/100 at least
5. When your lens is zoomed to 200mm and no VR, shuttle speed should not drop to below 1/125 if its hand-helded
6. You can set your SB-600 to TTL/AA mode for ease of use

Point 3 is a no no, on d50 and d70 the NR takes too long and makes very little if not no difference, so if shooting fashion may miss some good shots due to waiting for NR

Shoot more. Look at your pictures then ask yourself how to improve it, refer to other's shots and gauge your level, form there move forward and shoot more again, repeat and ask yourself how to achieve the shots.

Trial and error works best.

espn said:
Shoot more. Look at your pictures then ask yourself how to improve it, refer to other's shots and gauge your level, form there move forward and shoot more again, repeat and ask yourself how to achieve the shots.

Trial and error works best.

Yup, learn from your mistakes, trial and error is one of the best ways of improvement

thx ShawnQuah,Wildstation & Espn...
sometime i got shoot the same angle but difference WB / other setting... just dunno how to look the difference...:embrass:

thx urs teaching...:) :D

joey91 said:
thx ShawnQuah,Wildstation & Espn...
sometime i got shoot the same angle but difference WB / other setting... just dunno how to look the difference...:embrass:

thx urs teaching...:) :D
That's what I meant by benchmarking on other people's shots.

Take a shot, look through others for similar ones and find out what is it about other's shots that grabs your attention and liking.

WB can easily be overcome in RAW format shooting. Settings wise you'll get the hang of it as you shoot more.

here are my pics all setting 1/100-1/125 F8... but look like dark... dunno Y..:dunno:
any comments to me??

longkangman said:
Correct shot more, practice on the cam and refine. I go back to the same location everyday and shot from the same spot until I get what I want.
yup, i try to practice every week...:D

If shooting from same spot at roughly same direction and lighting, you might want to just use a custom white balance for more consistency...or like ESPN says, and I agree, shoot RAW and tweek as necessary...shooting fashion, might want to use wider aperture, both to isolate the model from the background and also to brighten the areas where flash can't reach if that's what you want...but these are just general comments...practise and see what works for you...

wildstallion said:
The pics look really soft, maybe use a lower f stop so less handshake, or it could be the lens
next shooting i'll try 1/30- 1/60... i think my 70-300mmG len still ok:think: ...just low speed:)

joey,
i'm by no means the authority (espn, shhh.), but i think i can help a little.

when i shoot events, i try to keep my iso around 400-800 and my shutter speed at 1/focal length. with VR, less. but for you, the 70-300G needs at least 1/150, ideally 1/300. especially if you're far away from your subject.

i'm assuming you're using P-mode for exposure, please stay away from scene modes. when you're more confident move to Aperture Priority to control the depth of field in your photos.

Flash is definitely required for events, if for nothing but to give the eyes a catchlight. start with TTL-BL mode, it's a good start.

be sure to focus on the right spot, and try to use the more sensitive af zones (usu the centre one) of your camera. it's no harm using AF-lock and recomposing the photo. better than off-focus photos.

I think you shouldn't worry too much about white balance, i always leave my camera on cloudy -2. Color can be tweaked post-process. don't waste time worrying about color when the event is ongoing. shoot first, talk later.

on your post-processing/camera settings, i personally find your photos quite hazy and lacking in contrast and dynamic range. Try to pay attention to that in your post processing.

feel free to look at some of my event photos on my website below. cheers.

leonzhu said:
joey,
i'm by no means the authority (espn, shhh.), but i think i can help a little.

when i shoot events, i try to keep my iso around 400-800 and my shutter speed at 1/focal length. with VR, less. but for you, the 70-300G needs at least 1/150, ideally 1/300. especially if you're far away from your subject.

i'm assuming you're using P-mode for exposure, please stay away from scene modes. when you're more confident move to Aperture Priority to control the depth of field in your photos.

Flash is definitely required for events, if for nothing but to give the eyes a catchlight. start with TTL-BL mode, it's a good start.

be sure to focus on the right spot, and try to use the more sensitive af zones (usu the centre one) of your camera. it's no harm using AF-lock and recomposing the photo. better than off-focus photos.

I think you shouldn't worry too much about white balance, i always leave my camera on cloudy -2. Color can be tweaked post-process. don't waste time worrying about color when the event is ongoing. shoot first, talk later.

on your post-processing/camera settings, i personally find your photos quite hazy and lacking in contrast and dynamic range. Try to pay attention to that in your post processing.

feel free to look at some of my event photos on my website below. cheers.

thx leonzhu!!!
ur pics are very nice... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wildstallion said:
oh, i have this lens too, i dont think you can do much about it, its really soft even at speeds of 1/500th

hi wildstallion, joey. lenses are seldom sharp when wide open. perhaps you could try to stop down to f/8 or so.

or perhaps it's technique? maybe if you could show some samples, the more experienced photographers in this forum can help to dissect them and explain why.

cheers.

hi leonzhu, do u mean 70-300mm G is not suitable to shoot event bcos of low speed.. do u guys have any idea which lens is suitable?? or should i practice practice practice???

Events Coverage requires the shooter to note a few important points :

- Get in position : How to get yourself into the best spot, so be there at the event early and get yourself into the prime spot. Be there early. Unless you have a press pass, or you are the official photographer.
- Equipment : You usually need to have some pretty fast lenses. Since this is a "one chance, one take" thing, so you know you better be prepared for what is going to happen next. Getting the right flash attachment is important too to minimise harsh shadows, but you lose range. So know what you want/need beforehand. If you are lacking in some piece of gear, then plan to work around that "handicap".
- Observation : When you arrive at the location, start framing your images in your head and know how you want to shoot the event. You don't have time to think too much once the event starts.
- Plan beforehand : (and use common sense) If you are smack in front, you don't need 500mm lens, and if you are shooting groups (dance troupe performance), always have a wide angle lens handy. Looking at programme sheet will sometimes help you plan the lenses to bring/that will be needed. Be early and do a walk around at the event. Once you accumulate experience, you will start knowing where to put yourself to get the best angle to shoot with the minimum distracting elements in the background to produce images with cleaner backgrounds. (Talking about shopping malls events/hotel ballrooms).
- Practise : Cannot stress this more.

These are some of the things that I have learnt from past experience to share. Hope this is helpful.

Oh... and learn to sharpen and then trust your instincts. They usually produce surprising results.

plastic said:
Events Coverage requires the shooter to note a few important points :

- Get in position : How to get yourself into the best spot, so be there at the event early and get yourself into the prime spot. Be there early. Unless you have a press pass, or you are the official photographer.
- Equipment : You usually need to have some pretty fast lenses. Since this is a "one chance, one take" thing, so you know you better be prepared for what is going to happen next. Getting the right flash attachment is important too to minimise harsh shadows, but you lose range. So know what you want/need beforehand. If you are lacking in some piece of gear, then plan to work around that "handicap".
- Observation : When you arrive at the location, start framing your images in your head and know how you want to shoot the event. You don't have time to think too much once the event starts.
- Plan beforehand : (and use common sense) If you are smack in front, you don't need 500mm lens, and if you are shooting groups (dance troupe performance), always have a wide angle lens handy. Looking at programme sheet will sometimes help you plan the lenses to bring/that will be needed. Be early and do a walk around at the event. Once you accumulate experience, you will start knowing where to put yourself to get the best angle to shoot with the minimum distracting elements in the background to produce images with cleaner backgrounds. (Talking about shopping malls events/hotel ballrooms).
- Practise : Cannot stress this more.

These are some of the things that I have learnt from past experience to share. Hope this is helpful.

Oh... and learn to sharpen and then trust your instincts. They usually produce surprising results.

good guides :) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.