question abt EOS300D kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

poisson

Jun 4, 2004
Hi, I am still a newbie in photograph. Hope could get some help here :)

I bought an EOS300D kit recently, but find it is quite difficult to get a clear image . For example, in the attached image (ISO200, 1/100s, F5.6), (click ) I found that if zoom to its full resolution it seems that some details in the leafs are missing, and the overall image looks blur.

It is a problem with this camera (or my photographic skill) or it is quite normal? Thanks in advance for any comment.

The DOF might be too shallow. Try using F11 and above. If you have a tripod at hand, use it.

I try using F11 and a tripod and it looks much better now :D click.

another thing you should do is try USM them in photoshop. they will make it a clearer and sharper pics. :)

Yes :). btw, is the quality of the image I posted acceptable for a 300D? I never use DSLR before. Just worrying I might buy a defective machine...

What lens did you use? The 2nd look better. Seem like the CA for both photos! IMHO the lens is not sharp too.

Do some post process, it will be better.

Have fun! ;)

I am using the EF-S 17-55m lens come with the 300D kit. btw what is CA? :embrass:

The 18-55 kit lens is soft at F5.6. It gets better from F8 up till about F11. Your picture looked alright for consumer Canon lenses of that price range. Good advice from the other posts - you probably need to sharpen the image a bit and increase the depth of field (F16 perhaps?) Some camera shake perhaps?

My 2 cents !

I use the kit lens too and it cannot compare to the usual mid range lenses from Canon (not even talking L series lenses here). The images are not as sharp, esp wide open and the colour somehow muted too, leading to images that lack "life".

However, the kit lens has a very usable range. What you can do is to use ISO 400 and smaller apertures which gets slightly noisier (but still as good or better as prosumer cams such as the G2/G3/G5 at ISO 100) but sharper. In the end, the extra sharpness is worth the slight noise. Tripods - even better, use slower shutter speeds and F8 or F11.

Canon needs to come up with a better stock lens (like Nikon with their 18-70 which costs 4x as much) - presently, the only alternative to the 18-55 is the 17-40L which costs about as much as a 300D body or 20-35 which is still costs more than the Nikon 18-70. Of course, Sigma has a 18-50 but there is decent chance it won't work with Canon SLRs 2 generations down the road in 5 years time.

If I didn't have an EF 50mm Mk1 and 28-80mm Mk1 I would have bought a D70.

Hi

CA is Chromatic Aberrations. Details as follow :-

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Chromatic_Aberrations_01.htm

I have did a small test few month back on few lenses I managed to gather. I use Tamron 19-35, Sigma 18-50 DG, CZJ 20mmf2.8 (M42), CZJ 35mmf2.4 (M42) & Pentax 50mmf1.4(M42). Result from both Tamron & Sigma is not too good, is almost like your 300D kit lens. The 3 fix focal lenses are very good. My objective for the test is just to find out how good is my old CZJ lenses on Canon DSLR (in P mode).

The kits lens is a cheap lens for you to start shooting. Like the 28-80mm for film camera. For the price it is okay! Furthermore, we had actually enlarge the image on our screen and we usually print 4R only. With some PS on the image 8R and above should be ok. Invest on better lens if you have the budget. Just go shooting lar! and be happy.

I think as long as your shutter speed is > 1/focal length is save. This mean that a slowest hand held speed for a 200mm lens is 1/200.

f16 give you a better DOF but may not be the best result. Usually f8~f11 is the best.

Have fun. ;)

lieu9310

Thanks for that!! Sometimes people like you are more believable than some reviews!!

Learn a lot from all the replys :) thanks a lot all. The photo I took is indeed CA (quite obvious at the roof at right down corner). Look like need to upgrade the lens late if got extra money :think:

poisson said:
Learn a lot from all the replys :) thanks a lot all. The photo I took is indeed CA (quite obvious at the roof at right down corner). Look like need to upgrade the lens late if got extra money :think:
hehehehehe...
If U intend to upgrade, it'll cost u about $1k more. ;p
But U can opt for cheaper 3rd party lenses.
hehehehe....

Status
Not open for further replies.