Question about UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen27

Dec 10, 2007
Today i bought 2 Hoya UV-guard filter as a protection for my kit lenses.
Just needed to know whether it is necessary to take it off during nite time or indoor or whether i can just leave it on all the while....

Actually don need as it does not reduce light entering the camera.
The time u need to take off it's when it give negative result to ur pic.
One example happened to me it's when i take shots on my girl with the bday cake with candles lit on.
The UV filter will give ghosting effect of the candles. That's when i'll take off the filter.
Other times, it's always on.

As far as I know, UV filters do not cast any tint at all. I have never ever removed them unless I switched them for some other kind of filters. If you're not convinced, you can always try taking picture with and without the filter and check whether there is any difference.

Great!! if not quite mahfan to put on and remove it.... :)

one occasion you might want to remove the UV filter is if you want to use another filter, like a polarizing filter, on the lens... for some lenses, if 2 filters are mounted, there might be a bit of lens shading and the image you take might be a bit darker around the sides... :)

one occasion you might want to remove the UV filter is if you want to use another filter, like a polarizing filter, on the lens... for some lenses, if 2 filters are mounted, there might be a bit of lens shading and the image you take might be a bit darker around the sides... :)

the technical term is vignetting. this is especially so on ultrawideangle lenses like 10mm.. if the cpl used is thick, then you can even see the entire ring, quite irritating.

owen27 - you may want to take it out in certain situations where there is a strong light source and you are shooting directly with it in frame - due to ghosting/flare.. whether it is a lamppost at night, or the sun in the day.. a strong light source is a strong light source. also good to know, just in case you wonder why got hantu in your picture or something.

note that according to most people here (i myself have not tried), more expensive filters will have last occurences of that happening. so if you have the financial capability, why not, so long as the cost is justifiable for you.

the technical term is vignetting. this is especially so on ultrawideangle lenses like 10mm.. if the cpl used is thick, then you can even see the entire ring, quite irritating.
come to think of it, its not lens shading at all... its (mechanical) vignetting and not lens shading (optical vignetting) because its caused by something external to the lens rather than due to the construction of the lens... wanted to use a non-technical word... but the visible effect is the same as lens shading... my bad :embrass:

Today i bought 2 Hoya UV-guard filter as a protection for my kit lenses.
Just needed to know whether it is necessary to take it off during nite time or indoor or whether i can just leave it on all the while....

for me no it would stay on my lens all the time unless i use a cpl

Status
Not open for further replies.