Question about the law - not necessarily photography related


Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
41
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
#1
My road tax is due for renewal, so i paid up beginning of this week via internet banking and am waiting for my road tax slip to put up on my windscreen. however my present road tax expires tomorrow, so i called LTA up to ask them when will my new road tax come, she says within a week, which would be beginning of next week. so i mentioned that i would be driving around with an expired road tax slip till next week, is that a problem? she says if the TP stops me, i have to mention that i've paid and they can do a check, and she did also confirm that i have paid and it's on the way.

now the scenario i was wondering was, say a TP really stops me, and books me for driving without valid road tax, and even after relating the phone call to her, says that under any circumstances, motorists are NOT to drive without a valid road tax slip. (i'm saying hypothetically ok!) Do I have a case since it was the authorities themself that gave me the information that i could?

i guess the question is, while ignorance of the law is not a reason for breaking it, what about misinformation of the law from relevant authorities leading to one breaking it?

just a thought that came to my mind after i put the phone down just now. and while i'm at it, can anyone confirm that if i drive for a few days without my road tax, citing that i've paid and the TP can check if needed, i would be ok? :)

for those of u wondernig, the LTA girl mentioned also that i will not be able to drive out of singapore, which is not a problem for the next few days.
 

Nisa

Senior Member
Aug 13, 2004
1,286
0
0
#2
I would advise you to print out a copy of your payment, get the girl's name down.
If you do get stopped by a TP, tell them what you were told.
If the person insisted on giving you a ticket for it, then make sure you get the information correctly, like date time and name of officer.

After that, write in to the forum and complain!!!! then write to TP and appeal about it.

Errr i won't advise on driving out of Singapore, cause the Malaysian sides are quite "detailed" esp during their holidays...
 

Aug 16, 2005
83
0
0
#3
If you go to Malaysia, be prepared to pay "FINE" to the TP involved.. no offence to any malaysians here but sigh.... we all know how it works with TPs there.....
 

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
41
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
#4
oh i certainly won't be going in to malaysia without valid road tax, just as the LAT girl advised.

but.. i thot it would be the customs or traffic officers at singapore side that will ge checking. does malaysia side check singaproean cars (or any other country, for that matter) for road tax too?
 

Nisa

Senior Member
Aug 13, 2004
1,286
0
0
#5
jOhO said:
oh i certainly won't be going in to malaysia without valid road tax, just as the LAT girl advised.

but.. i thot it would be the customs or traffic officers at singapore side that will ge checking. does malaysia side check singaproean cars (or any other country, for that matter) for road tax too?
yes they do.
My colleage was fined for not paying his Singapore road tax, actually they fined him for not having a valid road tax.:sticktong
 

CYRN

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2002
4,575
0
36
photoevangel.com
#6
IMHO the TP have the right to book you for not having the offical tax disc on your windscreen.

But if you can proof of payment, you can try talking to him about admin delay and the disc will arrive very soon. I dun think the TP would give you much trouble if you can show him proof on the spot.
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#7
Also to keep the risk low, don't drive at nite after 10pm. ;) Main thing is the road blocks.

I ever drove for a week without front plate.
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#8
2100 said:
Also to keep the risk low, don't drive at nite after 10pm. ;) Main thing is the road blocks.

I ever drove for a week without front plate.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: super steady ah u. haha

i think the police will understand if u tell them uve paid already. but still, get the girl's name and number. :)
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#9
Under the Road Traffic Registration rules, "Where a licence issued in respect of a motor vehicle has expired, a new licence issued shall be displayed not later than 7 days...after the expiry of the previous licence." However, there appears not to be any provision on what happens if you don't display it as stipulated.
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#10
joho, with vince's reply, i think you have 7 days 'grace to drive around without one. but, is a road tax considered a 'licence'?, haha.

vince123123 said:
Under the Road Traffic Registration rules, "Where a licence issued in respect of a motor vehicle has expired, a new licence issued shall be displayed not later than 7 days...after the expiry of the previous licence." However, there appears not to be any provision on what happens if you don't display it as stipulated.
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#11
I think they were referring to the "Vehicle License" which you pay every 6 months/ 12 months, which is the same as the commonly referred to "road tax".

reachme2003 said:
joho, with vince's reply, i think you have 7 days 'grace to drive around without one. but, is a road tax considered a 'licence'?, haha.
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#12
if that is the case, it seems fine to continue driving without a new licence for seven days.

vince123123 said:
I think they were referring to the "Vehicle License" which you pay every 6 months/ 12 months, which is the same as the commonly referred to "road tax".
 

Cyberj

New Member
May 5, 2004
55
0
0
#13
if u have paid and there's confirmation that u've paid, then it's okay to drive with the expired one b4 the renewed road tax is mailed to u. TP and other Police officers who stop u can check with their system on the spot to see if u have paid your tax.

if someone's road tax had expired and they altered the road tax disc to show it's still valid,TP can also check with their system on the spot and know the results too. ;)
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#15
Lesson to learn here is always renew your road tax at least one week nefore expiry. You should have just drive down to AA or any inspection centre and renew your road tax there. You get it immediately. I was told by a TP once that road tax disc must be displayed. So you could get into trouble for not displaying it.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom