Question about Super Macro conversion lens :)

wongchichi

Feb 5, 2012
Hey guys:)

I've just bought my Nikon D3100 recently and am interested in playing around with macro shots, but i do not have the budget for a proper macro lens. I am looking at the DCR-250 Super Macro conversion lens and was wondering if anyone has used it before and what the quality of photos taken by it is like. Also, are there any other alternatives to this?

:)

There's a thread on macro/wide angle converters around here somewhere, but I'll go out on a limb to tell you that converters lower your iq and give you a lot of trouble with your shots. What's your current set up?

Valkarian said:
There's a thread on macro/wide angle converters around here somewhere, but I'll go out on a limb to tell you that converters lower your iq and give you a lot of trouble with your shots. What's your current set up?

I believe the TS is talk about the Raynox DCR-250 and not a macro/wide angle converter. The Raynox 250 is actually of very decent quality and many here use it for macro.

To TS, the Raynox is a cheaper alternative if you are planning to try out macro without committing to a macro lens. You can check out extension tubes as well. The quality might be decent but they are no substitute for a macro lens.

Please read the getting started sticky in the macro section. It extensively covers macro options.

There are actually many many options out there without really getting a dedicated macro lens. For a couple of dollars (ebay) you can get yourself a reverse ring adapter whereby you can mount your lens in a reverse manner. The problem with this was that you can only manual focus on your subject. Of course other option would be extension tube, Raynox 250, Canon 500D closeup filter (not to mistaken with Canon EOS 500D which is a DSLR) and bellow.