Question about paid artistic photography jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Let say i'm being paid for doing some artistic shots of individuals (male or female) in Singapore, will it violate any law?

I know a model release is required to protect the rights of my photographs; but is there any other kind of model release (different from the normal kind) required for such shoots? Also in the event if i do need a witness to be around, can my assistant be one? or must he/she be a third party?

Thank you for looking.

There is no law saying that it's legal too. Maybe our vince123123 would love to clarify for us.

Ok this how I go about doing artistic shoots.

1) Model not only sign a release form but it's better to draft out a black and white letter stating that she will not take any action against you and the rest of the photographers. A Model Release form is not just a form. It's the most important document.
2) In the letter itself, all the participants will need to sign as well as not to distribute, circulate, publish and so on so that the model will not be exposed to the public.
3) Try to make sure that all the participants and the model are 21 and above. Especially the model. That is the safest age.
4) Should be done in a studio but profesionally. IT IS A MUST TO HAVE A FEMALE person to be your witness when shooting. Even if the model tells you that it is safe but don't trust her words as you will never know what might happend.
5) A Profesionnal/Experience Photographer with experience should be with the participants to pose for her.
6) Try not to shoot anything too lewd or indecent. (For example her private parts) If you know how to shoot it, it will look very good. Go look for a few books before you all start to shoot.
7) A maximum of 8 participants is usually what I will accomodate. No more than that as the model will be very tired.
8) It's best to ask around a little more info before organizing an artistic shoot.
9) When shooting, only one participants is allowed to enter. No group shooting please! Reason? The model will not feel comfortable.
10) Most of the time Artistic means showing more body parts and less or no clothes. Showing parts of her body contour where you never get to see under normal circumstances. So plain and simple english.
11) It does not matter whether it's a paid job. Follow it and you will not be in trouble.

I am not sure there is more to add but if there is, pls feel free add on. Anyway this is how I conduct mine artistic shoots. Different organisers do it differently. Hope the others will share a little with our members who organise shoots.

Thanks!

Thank you guys, esp Pro Image

In fact, what i will be doing is more towards the homosexual community locally. And it might lean more towards the nude category if the client issist.

Legally, will it pose any differences in normal female artistic shoots?

behyx said:

In fact, what i will be doing is more towards the homosexual community locally. And it might lean more towards the nude category if the client issist.

No diff. NUDE is still NUDE.

But.........doing a series of homosexual community will be one of the most challenging things in photography. It basically boils down on how well you interact with the subject. In this area, photography carries only 50% of your final input. The 50% is really depends on your communicating skills with them.

Not many photographers are keen on shooting homosexuality. This is subject which needs preparation, reading, research, understanding homosexuals are still human and so on. I would not categorize this under nude photography but leaning towards more Documentary Photography where you are recording the life of homosexuals.

I am not sure whether CS would allowed at all to document such photos. I guess is quite subjective. Depends on how the photos are being taken. I think this opportunity given to will make you become not only a better photographer but a better understanding about human behaviour.

Good luck! Hope to see an exibition about this documented photos.

behyx said:

on the surface of things, it should not differ.

milking the pink $? hehe.

unless I'm wrong, criminal laws are prohibitive. as long as its not stated that its illegal, its legal. you dont need laws telling you that eating char kway teow is legal now do you ?

Pro Image said:
There is no law saying that it's legal too. Maybe our vince123123 would love to clarify for us.

vince123123 said:
unless I'm wrong, criminal laws are prohibitive. as long as its not stated that its illegal, its legal. you dont need laws telling you that eating char kway teow is legal now do you ?

haha! this is a good one! thanks vince! :)

by the way, is there any good (simple) law book for photographers?

vince123123 said:
vince, u love char kway teow, dont u? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

vince123123 said:

Anyone wants to bring law into a photo forum, you'll get Char Kway Teow as a legal basis for expert discussion without the bills.

Another Char Kway Teow Lover.

vince123123 said:

3 packets extra "HAM", prawn, chilly and some chinese sausage.....to go! :bsmilie:

haha actually so so only lah. I only used that as an example cos i remembered that someone else in this forum drew that analogy before so I'm just reiterating it.

Astin said:
vince, u love char kway teow, dont u? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.