question about Olympus system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzw89

Nov 29, 2008
Hi,

With the introduction of the micro 4/3 in panosonic and Olympus, does this means that Olympus is going to phase out the 4/3 mount from their E-system and introduce the new micro 4/3?

Hi,

With the introduction of the micro 4/3 in panosonic and Olympus, does this means that Olympus is going to phase out the 4/3 mount from their E-system and introduce the new micro 4/3?

No.
With FF on nikon n canon system are they going FF and abandon all non-FF model? :dunno:

The mount is still 4/3 mount not to worry.
m4/3 is a new concept. what they did is to remove the prism glass and mirror (from DSLR design) and make the camera more compact and lighter, very similar to normal P&S design, but allow user to change lense. Realising that there is still not enough lense, they also provision converter so 4/3 lense can be used (converter is required cos the size of m4/3 is too small - not enough distance between lense and sensor for image to focus properly falling on sensor).

See olympus m4/3 offering here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494151

Please visit 4/3 subforum here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94&order=desc

Last edited:
Hmm,

I don't suppose Panasonic or Olympus is going to phase out the 4/3s system, simply speaking the m4/3 was just a concept in which to reduce the size of the cam. so as to attract user who wans a small n compact cam. which is still (of course a DSLR). So as for other models which are produced/designed which are not targetted at the compact market, it should and most likely still remain designed around the 4/3s rather than m4/3.

Cowz.

Please do not confuse the mount and the standard.

All are using the normal 4/3 bayonet mount.

Only m4/3 has smaller thinner body and thus there is not enough distance between 4/3 lense & sensor (because mirror & prism are removed - making the body thinner & lighter), so you need an adaptor to add some distance for the 4/3 lense if you want to attach it to m4/3 body.

so m4/3 is actually more for the body, and not for the mouthing.
you can probably still mount the lense, but focusing will not work. I have never tried yet though cos no access to m4/3 body yet.

Last edited:
Please do not confuse the mount and the standard.

All are using the normal 4/3 bayonet mount.

Only m4/3 has smaller thinner body and thus there is not enough distance between 4/3 lense & sensor (because mirror & prism are removed - making the body thinner & lighter), so you need an adaptor to add some distance for the 4/3 lense if you want to attach it to m4/3 body.

so m4/3 is actually more for the body, and not for the mouthing.
you can probably still mount the lense, but focusing will not work. I have never tried yet though cos no access to m4/3 body yet.

bro, your response is a little misleading. the micro four-thirds mount is smaller than the standard four-thirds mount. see the micro four-thirds whitepaper here: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/whitepaper.html

bro, your response is a little misleading. the micro four-thirds mount is smaller than the standard four-thirds mount. see the micro four-thirds whitepaper here: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/whitepaper.html

Uh OK thanks for correcting me. I guess engineering wise it is good so 4/3 lense not accidentally attached without converter.

Uh OK thanks for correcting me. I guess engineering wise it is good so 4/3 lense not accidentally attached without converter.

Engineering wise its good because it allows for development of smaller lenses..the idea behind the development of the m4/3. This would more or less mean that the m4/3 mount is smaller than the 4/3.

Engineering-wise I hope with m4/3 digital rangefinders from Oly and Panny will be introduced.

Well,

the Pan. Lumix G1 has an electronic viewfinder, they took out the mirror if i'm not wrong. So basically it isn't look at the actual object anymore, more like a live streaming video. But that being said, It makes the cam look for Digi-cam-ish(PNS) as oppose to a DSLR. (Oh wait, actually both are Digital cameras after all). :bsmilie:

Cowz.

hard to say,the Olypus one might have an EVF as well,since the actual design is still under cover

how about the sensors themselves? i always thot that the smaller the sensors the more 'problems' they might have...hot photosites etc..for IT being micro 4/3s.

Pardon me the knoobie..:sweat:

how about the sensors themselves? i always thot that the smaller the sensors the more 'problems' they might have...hot photosites etc..for IT being micro 4/3s.

Pardon me the knoobie..:sweat:

huh I dunno, go check their sensor size yourself. I am not sure if they are making that smaller too. I think should still be roughly the same size, that is my bet.

i hope they will come up with some "Rangefinder"-ish models with micro 4-thirds.......that would be so cool

i hope they will come up with some "Rangefinder"-ish models with micro 4-thirds.......that would be so cool

I am also waiting for that.

Oh my goodness,

Gah i'll be shock to see those boxy cameras. Haha, But then again i doubt the M4/3 sensor is smaller. They alrdy took out the Mirror and prism right? There's a lot of space alrdy, why shrink things even more? It'll turn out to be another compact then?

Cowz.

Status
Not open for further replies.