Question about nail in tyre..

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Sent my car for servicing today and was told that there was a nail in the front right tyre. The point of entry was too close to the side wall of the tyre so it is non-reparable. A new tyre costs US$150!!! ;(

Can anyone explain how a nail can get into the tyre?

If the mail is dropped onto the ground it would most likely end up lying flat instead of standing on it's head with the sharp end pointing upwards.

So when a car runs over a nail that is lying flat, what makes it pierce the tyre so easily?

I got a screw in my tire once.
Super bad luck I think? :sweat:

Well, someone could have accidentally left a nail with the sharp end pointing into your tyre ? :confused:

Just kidding, stuff like this happens, only thing to do is to replace it. Actually, if it's not relatively new, need to replace both, you can't have new tread with worn treads together, as the tyre shop will no doubt advise you.

BTW, what kind of tyres are you using at US$150 each ?

yup.....happened to me once....its safer to replace the entire tire as if the tire is pierced at certain places and you dont replace it....there is a chance of the tyre just breaking off at high speeds....

There was once I sent my mum's car in for tire rotation, then the guy pulled out 2 very long (2-3 inch?) nails from the same tire. Luckily they didn't actually punture anything :bigeyes:

Actually its not quite so impossible for a nail lying flat on the ground to pierce the tire. The stickiness of the tire and the grooves help to 'pick' the nail into a standing position as the tire rotates, especially if the point was away from the tire.
If you are using radials (tubeless) there is not much worry of puncture as the steel mesh repairs itself unless you went over a bolt or screw (in such cases, you should just leave them there and drive to the nearest tire shop.
However, like all tires, any damage to the sidewall or near it should be cause for replacement. this is the same practice in the aviation industry.

Don't know about the prices in US, but usually they get more expensive as you move away from the common types used in your area. ie. tire size, aspect ratio, tire width, tread type etc.
eg in SG the most common ones are 60-70/185 R15, so they tend to be the cheapest. That said, of course if the guy is trying to push a performance tire to you then that will also explain the cost. Suggest you shop around to get a feel of the price.
Hope this helps

ericp said:
BTW, what kind of tyres are you using at US$150 each ?

Its either a tarya for large rims size or/and conti taryas.

Some how nails can be picked up at high speed. I kena a nail before near the side wall and it went puncture the next moment. It did not rupture but start loosing air. Recently my one week old tarya kena a screw but luckily it wasn't too deep to cause any damange.

Have you step on someone toes? :)

ericp said:
Just kidding, stuff like this happens, only thing to do is to replace it. Actually, if it's not relatively new, need to replace both, you can't have new tread with worn treads together, as the tyre shop will no doubt advise you.

Most of the time you have to replace both. Some workshop has a machine that looks like a lathe to shave off the excess to match the old tarya.

Thanks for all the replies.

I just checked. The tyre on my car is:

Michelin Energy MXV4
P205/60 R16 91V S8 M+S

Not sure what everything else means besides the brand and model. M+S means Mud and Snow I believe. Can any experts explain this to me?

Only have to change the damaged one because the wear on the tyres are not enough to cause a concern. I bought the car (Honda Accord) 2 years ago and have driven about 14K miles (224K km) on it.

Michelin Energy MXV4
P205/60 R16 91V S8 M+S

205 is the width of the tyre. How broad is it.

60 is the profile size. How thick is it. From outer circumference of rim to the outer layer of the tyre.

R16 is the rasius of your tyre. In this case, its 16inch.

V is the speed code. In this case your tyre has a speed limit of up to 240km/h

If in Sg... I'll tell you to juz patch it up and monitor it... at most visually check tyre everytime before drive. I also have the same experience and, contrary to the advice, I refuse to change. And nothing happened thereafter.

But in US, 1 miss-que could leave you stranded without help nearby (unlike here in Sg).

Else, use your spare and patch up this tyre for spare instead.... remember to check occasionally tho.

markccm said:
Michelin Energy MXV4
P205/60 R16 91V S8 M+S

205 is the width of the tyre. How broad is it.

60 is the profile size. How thick is it. From outer circumference of rim to the outer layer of the tyre.

R16 is the rasius of your tyre. In this case, its 16inch.

V is the speed code. In this case your tyre has a speed limit of up to 240km/h

OK, thanks!

How much would this cost in Singapore anyway?

CYRN said:
If in Sg... I'll tell you to juz patch it up and monitor it... at most visually check tyre everytime before drive. I also have the same experience and, contrary to the advice, I refuse to change. And nothing happened thereafter.

But in US, 1 miss-que could leave you stranded without help nearby (unlike here in Sg).

Else, use your spare and patch up this tyre for spare instead.... remember to check occasionally tho.

Hm...you are brave...

The moment the person called me up and told me about the problem I immediately said "OK" to changing the tyre... :p ...even though I almost heard my wallet screaming in pain at that moment... :eek:

I think the dealer will insist that I change the tyre or at least sign something that declares that they have explained the problem to me but I made the decision not to change just to cover their behind incase I get into any trouble de tot hat damaged tyre.

roygoh said:
OK, thanks!

How much would this cost in Singapore anyway?

Don't think this type of tire will be sold in SG since the road conditions here are diffrent.
Anyhow you should do a check with the local tire dealers to get a feel of the market price there so you don't get taken for a ride.
Anyway, you can always sign off the indemnity form and then look else where if you can find a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.