Question about maintaining a Metz Dryfit battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
I was just wondering, are you supposed to keep the dryfit batteries fully charged before storage? Or do you have to drain them fully before storage?

sorry guys, I tried to do several searches but the system keeps on telling me:

The search term you specified (60) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. I keyed in 'Metz 60 ct series dryfit batteries'.

How are we supposed to search for information/threads on a specific model? Type in 'Nikon Deee twoo hundered xxxx xxxx peee ceee socket problem'???
:angry::angry::angry:

full charge before storage. fire few n charge full every 3 months.

hope i'm not wrong.

never store batteries drained, they will leak

there should be a certain optimal charge level(not full) for storage.. i kinda forgot where i read that..

Thanks guys!

I take it that as long as the red LED on top of the batt holder is flashing, it has a substantial charge? I don't recall reading anything about a 'gradual' indication of batt drain in the manual.

Do you guys know of anyone selling spare batts - 60 series? Wouldn't moind getting a few spare PC chords as well seeing how fragile those things are...

PB, you oso up so late everyday ah?

i think its difficult to tell the amt of charge in the battery as its subjected to temperature differences... you could try using a multi meter though if you're serious about long term storage..

for rechargeable lithium batteries if i'm not wrong the ideal storage charge is somewhere near 45% or something

yup.. going to sleep really really soon.. taking a marketing paper at 9am.. >.< been nocturnal for quite a long while i'm still living in a foreign time zone

I was just wondering, are you supposed to keep the dryfit batteries fully charged before storage? Or do you have to drain them fully before storage?

The search term you specified (60) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. I keyed in 'Metz 60 ct series dryfit batteries'.

How are we supposed to search for information/threads on a specific model? Type in 'Nikon Deee twoo hundered xxxx xxxx peee ceee socket problem'???
the dry fit battery of Metz also known as SLA battery (Sealed Lead-Acid Battery), do a search under care of SLA battery you will get your answer, anyway what jacob said is correct.

Ahhh...thanks Catchlights! Much appreciated!

How have things been on your side? Afraid that I didn't really get a chance to chat with you the last time I was at the studio.

This is the manufacturer for the dryfit battery used in Metz 60CT1/4.
http://www.sonnenschein.org/a200.htm

Thanks Isisaxon. That was very technically in-depth ... a bit beyond me at the moment, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Anyone in SG or Mysia selling these? I don't recall hearing of this brand around here before...

Thanks Isisaxon. That was very technically in-depth ... a bit beyond me at the moment, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Anyone in SG or Mysia selling these? I don't recall hearing of this brand around here before...

I think there are a few dealers for this brand. Farnell should carry this brand also but I'm not sure if the one for Metz is exclusive, so only sold through Metz.

The one for Metz is A506/4.2K. The one that's sold in the market is A506/4.2S. Only difference is the contact prongs.
http://www.sonnenschein.org/A500.htm
http://www.sonnenschein.org/images/A506-4.2S.jpg

Hmm...just had a close look at the Metz Battery.

It says "VRLA Battery", and SLA. And it's made in China.

Anyways, I sent Farnell Singapore an e-mail. Hope they have something compatible.

Thanks so much for the kind assistance Isisaxon!

Hmm...just had a close look at the Metz Battery.

It says "VRLA Battery", and SLA. And it's made in China.

Anyways, I sent Farnell Singapore an e-mail. Hope they have something compatible.

Thanks so much for the kind assistance Isisaxon!

Hmm... Did you buy the flash new? Did it say Metz on the battery?

Bring your old battery down to Sim Lim Tower basement and ask around. These kind of SLA battery have standard sizes. There's a few shops down there that may have this size.
Basically, you just need to find a replacement that has the same form factor and voltage. Capacity should be same or larger than your current one.

The entire set-up is 2nd hand, but in excellent condition.

Here's a pix of the batt:

177475280-M.jpg

WOW! Those folks at Farnell are sure quick in replying!

The sales div forwarded my enquiry to their tech, and I got the reply that they do not have a compatible batt. The only closest one they have is: http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/Electrica...splayProduct.jsp?sku=908745&_requestid=102276

which looks incompatible with the spring terminals.

Oh well...

IIRC, you can't find any other SLA battery can squeeze into the 60CT battery compartment.

being searching it for many years, so in the end pay over $100 for a Metz battery instead of a similar SLA battery which cost less than $20 in Sim Lim Tower.

I know of someone DIY it, he is connecting a 6V 4.5mAh SLA battery to the Metz battery pack, so the SLA battery is outside the Metz battery pack, he told me that the set is working fine.

Thanks for sharing B.

What your friend did sounds very dooable, but much more laceh leh...with the batt hanging outside the big box.

Status
Not open for further replies.