Question about loading and unloading films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
let say i have a roll of 36 exposure film in my camera (Minolta X-700), and i haven't expose all of them yet, but i need to load another type of film urgently. how do i go about doing it?

it's best if someone with X-700 help me, because it's a manual camera, manual rewind.

behyx said:
let say i have a roll of 36 exposure film in my camera (Minolta X-700), and i haven't expose all of them yet, but i need to load another type of film urgently. how do i go about doing it?

it's best if someone with X-700 help me, because it's a manual camera, manual rewind.

take note of the last exposure in your shot counter, unload the film as per normal. press the take up spool release button at the base of the camera and wind the film all the way back into the canister. then reload with your new film.

if you want to use the partly exposed roll again, use a film picker pull out the the tongue of the partly used roll. reload into your camera, cover the lens (you can set the shutter speed at it's fastest and the aperture at it's widest), then fire off shots until you reach the number of the last shot you fired for that roll. fire 1 or 2 more extra shots just to make sure you don't double expose a frame, then continue using the camera as per normal.

this method works for all film cameras, not just manual rewind ones. of course with auto cameras, the rewind is done with a motor, but the principles remain the same.

patch17 got it all there. For the "aperture at widest" part. I think he meant smallest aperture/largest f-stop as it is to ensure that any possible light leakage will not affect the film.

Zerstorer said:
patch17 got it all there. For the "aperture at widest" part. I think he meant smallest aperture/largest f-stop as it is to ensure that any possible light leakage will not affect the film.

whoops... thanks for the correction and clarification. aperture at the smallest (f16 or 22) shutter speed at it's fastest. :embrass:

Thank you patch17!
i just did it and everything went well! :)

oh some more questions... BW films... which one should i go for? and for terms like push-process, ISO800 film rate at ISO400/1600, etc.. i need to do some brief read up on these.. where can i find such info on the web?

thanks again! :)

some of the AF-enabled body can be set(via customed function) to rewind and leave the film leader out. If it doesn't, instead of paying $20+ for a film picker, just stick some double sided tape onto a scraped end of a film and wind it in, yank out the film when contact is made.

As for which B&W film is good for starters, you may want to give Tri-X or Ilford FP4 a try first. Pushing beyond the suggested film speed depends on the increase in film development time. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks guys,

i just bought Ilford delta 400 from ruby. ready to use tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.