Question about lens adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamanoshun

Aug 17, 2008
I have a question, are lens adapters attached to the lens mount on the lens, or the camera body? Are they permanent or removal?

My scenario is, I'm mainly shooting stills with a D700, soon-to-be D3, and I have a 5D MkII as a VSLR. You must be wondering why the dual system, but I only got the 5D mkII solely for video, stills will be pretty seldom. I've seen professionals using dual systems, and my worry is the lens adapters, are they attached to lens or body?

If body, pretty straightforward, just buy one adapter, but my hunch is telling me it's lens mounted. Then in that case, is it perm or easily removed? In both case, one is to buy for as many lens that I intend to use with the body, or just one respectively.

Need help on this before I get the lens adapters, and any lens adapters to recommend other than 3rd party? I've read about some adapters not being compatible with the Nikon G lenses, but that is still a grey area for me, need help here too.

what kind of adapters are you talking about?
i supposed u mean nikon to canon adapter so that u can use your nikkors on your 5D2?
if so, the adapter is removal, it's just a thin piece of metal mount, 1 side is nikon for u to mount the lens, and the other is canon to mount to your body

it's not compatible to G lens as, G lens doesn't have the aperture ring, therefore if u mount it to the 5D2 via the adaptor, u'll only be able to shoot at the widest apeture.

hope this helps.

If it is a non G lens, then a much cheaper Nikon->EF adapter is easily found locally

There is a Nikon G to Canon EF mount adapter : http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/
I cannot think of anywhere else that makes it. The current version requires u to remove the lens gasket at the rear, the adapter is more expensive.

You cannot mount an EF Canon lens on a Nikon lens because of flange focal plane distance issues. If it exist it probably needs some kind of corrective glass within.. I do not know if such an adapter exist

ryan

it's not compatible to G lens as, G lens doesn't have the aperture ring, therefore if u mount it to the 5D2 via the adaptor, u'll only be able to shoot at the widest apeture.

I think since the G lenses default to their smallest aperture, if u use a G lens on a normal Nikon->EF adapter that does not control the aperture lever, u will only be able to shoot at the smallest aperture.

ryan

I think since the G lenses default to their smallest aperture, if u use a G lens on a normal Nikon->EF adapter that does not control the aperture lever, u will only be able to shoot at the smallest aperture.

ryan

hmm, but when mounted on nikon bodies the aperture sets to the widest, when mounted on the adapter, it should be the same,
if it's the smallest, the viewfinder will be too dark.

Nikon lens with physical aperture ring can use on EOS DSLR. Lens adapter. Easy to put on and remove. Adapters can cost from S$20 for the low quality ones to as much as US$300 for the precision ones.

G Nikkors a bit more headache. See Giantcanopy's post.

EOS DSLR also can use most other brand's lenses as long as got physical aperture ring, and the minimum flange distance does not pose a problem. No aperture ring, don't waste time.

On a FF DSLR like the 5D/2, have to be careful if the adapted lenses have any protruding (into the mirror chamber) parts as that/they might obstruct the mirror during operation. Most users simply remove or file down offending protrusions, unless it's the lens element itself, and in such cases, those lenses can't be used, or will have limited usage, or have to be used only with the mirror locked up.

Canon FD as well as many Rokkors cannot be use on Canon DSLRs because of flange distance problem - can only get close focusing and no infinity focus. Solution is to use rare/expensive adapters that have optics inside, which may degrade performance.

IIRC certain Leitz lenses can be converted (semi-permanently) to fit onto Nikon DSLRs.

That kind of sucks, why don't they develop adapters which don't require physical aperture rings? I guess it hasn't been thought through and everyone's just trying to make a quick buck. =(

Thanks all for the input, think I'm gonna put up my 5d mkII for sale and concentrate on stills for now.

Will probably get into the VSLR revolution when Nikon announces a full HD model, or maybe when G-adapters are cheaper and readily available.

Paying 6k and up for a 720p D3s just doesn't justify what Canon can offer for almost half the price with a 1080p model.

That kind of sucks, why don't they develop adapters which don't require physical aperture rings? I guess it hasn't been thought through and everyone's just trying to make a quick buck. =(

Adapters were never intended and are not supported by any manufacturer, it's a workaround to overcome the physical differences of two different lens mounts - with certain limitations. Naturally, no manufacturer will support such ideas since it eats into the profit made by its own lenses.
If you look at the lens mounts and how they work (especially the electronics) it becomes very obvious that your idea would also require interacting / interfering with the communication between body and lens. Feel free to ask any of the manufacturer for these specs (= IP) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.