Question about 'Home Studio'

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... thinking about setting up a small, mini home studio.

Really really small scale type..... inside by HDB store room, using a white or black paper background. Mainly for photographing of flowers, figures (toys, action figures... etc) and any other small, macro stuff. :D

Question....

1) What type of lighting should I use.... White LED or normal 'Yellow' light from torch light.

2) Should I switch off the Main store room like when taking the shot ?

3) Any type of light I should consider.... CHEAP being the magic word here :sweat:

Thxs for any suggestion. :)

Think you need a light box more than a studio.
can Diy with a few lamps and white cloth from Spotlight and a small table.

Think you need a light box more than a studio.
can Diy with a few lamps and white cloth from Spotlight and a small table.

Thxs for the suggestion..... :D

Yeah... I think box is a good idea. But what type of lamp, spotlight you are talking about ??

try to google DIY studio photography. You will find lots of ideas for cheap studio for your purpose.

for lighting, becareful on your white balance when you are using multiple light source with different color temp. you can also google some tips on how to get correct color.

Thxs for the suggestion..... :D

Yeah... I think box is a good idea. But what type of lamp, spotlight you are talking about ??

spotlight or even table lamp is okay. but something to difuse the light (like a white cloth to place between your light and the subject) is a good idea. also make sure that you have a tripod incase your camera need longer exposure to get enough light.

spotlight or even table lamp is okay. but something to difuse the light (like a white cloth to place between your light and the subject) is a good idea. also make sure that you have a tripod incase your camera need longer exposure to get enough light.

Thxs thxs for the suggestion of using white cloth as a diffuser. :D

Use white fluorescent bulbs. Check the light temperature, try to get as close to daylight as possible to prevent colour cast, else you can do a custom WB before each shoot.

Cheers,

Use white fluorescent bulbs. Check the light temperature, try to get as close to daylight as possible to prevent colour cast, else you can do a custom WB before each shoot.

Cheers,

How about White LED and shooting in RAW.

I have one scuba diving LED white light. Or do you think I should get 2 or more short and low power fluorescent tube as lighting ??

I have one scuba diving LED white light. Or do you think I should get 2 or more short and low power fluorescent tube as lighting ??

Should be ok. But it depends on the power output as well. If you're using it to light from outside a light tent, you may need a higher power output. Currently I'm not even satisfied with my setup of 20W compact flouroscent bulbs (which is supposed to be equiv to 75W incandescent lights)

For the Soft box I used the transparent cards from art friend and used masking tape to stick them into a box. Allows light to pass thru but at the same time diffuses it.

For the lights I made used of a table lamp from Carrefore that cost me $19 and a florence lamp from Home Fix that's selling at about $20. ;)

if you are not doing it for commercial purpose, I would say it is good enough. Those fluorescent tube are not easy to handle, though they are okay. The important thing is that you will want to emit all the light into the light box. If you want, compact fluorescent lamp (CFL)is a good choice, they are power saving and provide you good lighting. They can fit into the usual table lamp that you can get in Ikea for about S$20.

I have seen some of the set up provide one light source on each side of the subject (with diffuser) to cut off the shadow for your image. If you can have two 23W CFL, which is equivalent to 250W (125W each) of normal light bulb, it should be enough for your ppurpose. further, it is not that hot. I remember that they are about S$8.50 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.