Question about Ebay Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
Wonder if anyone experienced with Ebay Auction. Is it safe to bid there?

make sure it's a reputable seller, can always look at his feedback ratings to gauge.

wacko said:
make sure it's a reputable seller, can always look at his feedback ratings to gauge.

The seller has no history, but got Paypal protection (Max US500/-). Claimed to be a landscape photographer. What do you think? Then again, email him no reply. :(

Jeff said:
The seller has no history, but got Paypal protection (Max US500/-). Claimed to be a landscape photographer. What do you think? Then again, email him no reply. :(
i don't see how he can qualify to offer Paypal Buyer Protection. here is the list of criteria for sellers:

- You have received 50 or more eBay feedback comments
- At least 98% of your eBay feedback is positive
- You are a Verified member of PayPal
- You use a Premier or Business PayPal account to accept payments
- You have a U.S. or Canadian PayPal account
- Your PayPal account is in good standing
Additional requirements:
- You must select PayPal as an accepted payment option on eBay's Sell Your Item form or when using bulk listing tools such as Turbo Lister or Seller's Assistant
- The item must be listed on www.eBay.com
- The item must be tangible (physical goods that are shipped)
- You must receive payment to the PayPal account that made the listing eligible to offer PayPal Buyer Protection

wacko said:
i don't see how he can qualify to offer Paypal Buyer Protection. here is the list of criteria for sellers:

- You have received 50 or more eBay feedback comments
- At least 98% of your eBay feedback is positive
- You are a Verified member of PayPal
- You use a Premier or Business PayPal account to accept payments
- You have a U.S. or Canadian PayPal account
- Your PayPal account is in good standing
Additional requirements:
- You must select PayPal as an accepted payment option on eBay's Sell Your Item form or when using bulk listing tools such as Turbo Lister or Seller's Assistant
- The item must be listed on www.eBay.com
- The item must be tangible (physical goods that are shipped)
- You must receive payment to the PayPal account that made the listing eligible to offer PayPal Buyer Protection

Weird then. So does this constitute an anomaly with Ebay?

Jeff said:

You have the thread?

Jeff said:
Weird then. So does this constitute an anomaly with Ebay?
heh, i dunno man. anyhow i wouldn't be trusting large transactions with a ebay member with no feedback history, protection or not.

blurblock said:
I would not trust him ..... BTW, he only ship to USa ..... u are in USA?

I don't trust him either...
1st. no feedback.... scare scare
2nd, the money too big >US$400... scare *3

Only ship to US... you can drop him an email 1st be4 u bid.
Sometime the seller don't mind to sell out of US, if your feedback is good....
(did that once....) ;)

Jeff said:

Hi Jeff,

As long as you pay with paypal you can always reverse/stop the payment through your VISA or Mastercard if the item is either not received, or not as described. You have 30 days to do this otherwise your money is gone! Paypal does protect buyers better than sellers.......

Hong Sien

therat said:
Only ship to US... you can drop him an email 1st be4 u bid.
Sometime the seller don't mind to sell out of US, if your feedback is good....
(did that once....) ;)

Yes, try to email him first, although you have not much time left now. the default setting on the ebay selling page is 'us only', sometimes people forget to change it if they want to sell overseas.

Hong Sien

hongsien said:
Hi Jeff,

As long as you pay with paypal you can always reverse/stop the payment through your VISA or Mastercard if the item is either not received, or not as described. You have 30 days to do this otherwise your money is gone! Paypal does protect buyers better than sellers.......

Hong Sien
this is only applicable for those under the buyer protection scheme no?

hongsien said:
Hi Jeff,

Hong Sien

For some reason, I don't think that this representation is correct. Paypal is NOT a merchant, it is just a payment mechanism.

Parchiao said:
For some reason, I don't think that this representation is correct. Paypal is NOT a merchant, it is just a payment mechanism.

No, if the payment was done using a VISA or Mastercard, you can always reverse the payment. Whether paypal is a merchant or not doesn't matter. VISA/Mastercard will ALWAYS get their money back from Paypal (as a company, not directly from the sellers paypal account) and Paypal has no other option than to claim the payment from the sellers Paypal account. Hope this clears.

In fact, many Paypal scams are based upon this. People steal credit card numbers and use that to pay for items. Three days or more later the payment is withdrawn from the sellers Paypal account because the funds has been reversed by the credit card company (Paypal has to pay back to the CC company in advance so to speak and therefore has to claim it back from the sellers account who has now lost his/her money AND the item!).

Hong Sien

but how are you going to justify your withdrawal of payment to your credit company? i don't think it's as easy as you make it out to be.

Thanks for the invaluable advices. Someone just outbid me with US405. Anyway, the seller finally replied to my email that he does ship overseas.

As for the claim, it would be easy if one could provide proof to support his claim. It had an experience with D*ll USA and managed to got back all my money within a week (using DBS Master card.)

Anyway, I found a local seller for the 200mm 2.8L so no need to wait. In fact I already got this lens at a very reasonable price. :D

So just need to shoot and shoot. :D :D :D

wacko said:
but how are you going to justify your withdrawal of payment to your credit company? i don't think it's as easy as you make it out to be.

This is why I am not so sure that the representation is correct, There is a whole world of difference if you are a US person using a US issued credit card and a US person using a Singapore issued credit card. As I have mentioned, paypal is not a merchant of a Singapore bank for credit card payments, as such, the type of action that a Singapore bank can excercise can be very limited.

The scam that is mentioned is applicable in the sense that a payment can be cancelled because of the existence of fraud (here it means a transaction that was not initiated by the card owner), as such, banks will more often than not be willing to cancel a payment if you as the card holder makes such representations.

But if you pay through paypal via a credit card at your own doing, no bank will reverse the payment for you if no fraud (here it means a transaction that was not initiated by the card owner) is represented or can be proven. If you pay through paypal for an item, and you did not receive the item as stipulated or did not receive the item at all, too bad, no credit card company will reimbure you the lost money.

Also, credit card companies can cancel your the credit card that they have issued to you if you continuously make such representations to them i.e. high risk customer

Parchiao said:
This is why I am not so sure that the representation is correct, There is a whole world of difference if you are a US person using a US issued credit card and a US person using a Singapore issued credit card. As I have mentioned, paypal is not a merchant of a Singapore bank for credit card payments, as such, the type of action that a Singapore bank can excercise can be very limited.

The scam that is mentioned is applicable in the sense that a payment can be cancelled because of the existence of fraud (here it means a transaction that was not initiated by the card owner), as such, banks will more often than not be willing to cancel a payment if you as the card holder makes such representations.

But if you pay through paypal via a credit card at your own doing, no bank will reverse the payment for you if no fraud (here it means a transaction that was not initiated by the card owner) is represented or can be proven. If you pay through paypal for an item, and you did not receive the item as stipulated or did not receive the item at all, too bad, no credit card company will reimbure you the lost money.

Also, credit card companies can cancel your the credit card that they have issued to you if you continuously make such representations to them i.e. high risk customer

Hi,

I thought VISA and Mastercard is worldwide, so it doesn't matter where you are. I have to check this with my bank then, how sure are you about the above?

Hong Sien

Status
Not open for further replies.