question about DSLRs. really could use help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkedkid

Mar 23, 2008
well

i'm looking to be a good photographer.
but i'm not sure i want to be like a professional.
so i want a DSLR which is good, not the most expensive and also reliable.

Many people say canon is the best, but somehow i refuse to accept that as a fact because i still see many photographers carrying nikon DSLRs and some carrying Sony.

So since canon is so expensive, i am looking for sony or nikon DSLRs.( becasue their prices are midrange and also they seem dependable.)

i consider Nikon because i spoke to a photographer at a private party, and he told me that nikon lenses are in fact the most available.

i consider sony because they use carl zeiss lenses and those are supposedly the best? also because its a few hundred dollars less than a canon DSLR.

but i struck off canon because they are most expensive and also they're lenses don't seem to be found very easily.

So guys, please give me your feedback?
whatever it is, if it changes my mindset or helps me decide, ANYTHING

i just want your opinions :)
thanks.

Well, what's your budget? Short of starting a Nikon vs. Sony debate on here, did you already do a search for similar threads? Have you tried holding the cameras to see how they feel in your hand?

To me, what I can say is this:
Nikon:
- Lenses are good and available everywhere
- Good features
- Sensor made by Sony. ;)

Sony:
- VERY ergonomic, feels comfy
- Anti-shake built into the camera
- G and Carl Zeiss lenses are incredibly good.

Main "con" of the Sony platform is there here in SG, the lenses and accessories are expensive; however, there's a good second-hand market going on already, and many people importing from New York and Hong Kong for very good prices. Also, you can use the old Minolta AF lenses on Sony bodies. And the local Sony community is very warm and friendly (we even have Nikon shooters joining our outings!!).

If your budget permits and you reallywant Live View, get a Sony A300 or A350. Many happy people with those cameras. If you need help finding a good bargain on a new set, PM me. :)

1) Figure out your budget
2) Figure out what you like to shoot, this will affect your lens selection
3) Check out the respective forums on reviews on your selection
4) Pop in the recommended shops to have a hands-on
5) Start shooting!

Anyway, not too sure how you come to the conclusion that canon lenses are hard to find.

IMHO, I don't think a professional (mean some one make living by photography) need to use a system that has most popular lens. Many professional portrait photographer use Hasselblad, which the lens system is less popular than Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic...

i personally think you should learn how to make your own decisions.

everyone has their own story, it is usually going to end up justifying THEIR OWN CHOICE, which is not wrong. there is a reason why they made their choice. they could live with the compromises they have to make with regards to the system they chose.

but the compromises they are willing to make might not coincide with yours.

do you need the speed? do you need the particular range? do you need super high iso capability? do you have financial limitations? even if you answer these, i can tell you 20 people here will give at least 10 different pieces of advice. what you need to find out is what the compromises you have to make when choosing certain brands. even then, that will differ, and you have to filter out the things that are more important to you.

be a man, take your own responsibility, make your decision and live with it. cheers.

I need more time to explore photography. That's the barrier i realised. Have to work make a living. Wish i need not have to work :bsmilie:

well

Many people say canon is the best, but somehow i refuse to accept that as a fact because i still see many photographers carrying nikon DSLRs and some carrying Sony.

So since canon is so expensive, i am looking for sony or nikon DSLRs.( becasue their prices are midrange and also they seem dependable.)

i consider Nikon because i spoke to a photographer at a private party, and he told me that nikon lenses are in fact the most available.

i consider sony because they use carl zeiss lenses and those are supposedly the best? also because its a few hundred dollars less than a canon DSLR.

but i struck off canon because they are most expensive and also they're lenses don't seem to be found very easily.

thanks.

i totally disagree with the 2 points i highlighted on. In my POV, i myself see that canon has the widest range of lens around. Regardless of 3rd party or even canon's own made. And canon do have affordable mid range cameras. What i would suggest is that you walk into a shop and hold each of the 3 different brands of camera in your hands and see does it fit ur hands well. And work towards your decision from there, instead of making your decision via hearsay.

I bought my first DSLR before even touching one. I'll just need to get used to it. I select base on it's design/features from their web site.

It is after that, then I come to know about something call "ClubSNAP"... and the BBB virus..:sweatsm:

so after all the expensive and cheap camera-body comparison, have you look at the price of the lenses you might get in future from each of the brand? those are the real "$$$ burner" for a dSLR system

so after all the expensive and cheap camera-body comparison, have you look at the price of the lenses you might get in future from each of the brand? those are the real "$$$ burner" for a dSLR system

me ? that was 2 years ago, lenses not my concern anymore, it's the newbie who need to take note of (does wide range of lenses = all those lenses he want to buy ?).

well

thanks.

I'm not even going to touch on how ill-informed and inaccurate those comments were, its pointless.

What you should do is to study in great details each and every system you are considering and make up yorn own mind. Try out the systems at the shops and see which one you like best. Its your call.

Punkedkid, i think u should have gone to shops to anquire about prices before jumping in about how costly a brand system can be.

are you asking for suggestions? it would seem you have already made up your mind on the brand from your 1st post.

I actually more on the reverse... nikon have way too much confusing restriction like AF AFS which body can AF which cant which motr driven which body driven. Canon more straight forward EF or EFS only and all canon lens can AF and AF motor on lens.

I'd like to share when I was choosing which dslr to buy 2-3 yrs back... If this helps then good, if not, just discard my rants...:confused:

I always have this in my mind... Lens are forever, body come & go every year or few years.

Firstly... Get a few books and read all you need to know about photogaphy & it's gears... It good to be well informed before plunging $$$ to the shops...

Secondly... I looked thru the lens by all the makers/brands. I try to understand why certain lenses are highly regarded, why they are the 'dream' lens, why certain lens are frown upon. Try to understand differences in main brand lens compared to 3rd party lens(though of the same range). I looked at all the available lens from all brands at that time. Read the reviews and all. What type of lens are for what type of photography.

Have a rough idea of what kinda photography that you wanna do or like.
Then I make a wish list of the lenses that I want from every brand(eg. brand A= 10-20, 18-75, 70-200, brand B= 12-24, 20-85, 50-200) based on my type of photography. Then I list down the price of these lenses that I want. I then decide how much I'm actually willing to spend on them, as a hobbyist/enthusiast, after looking at the figures. I then narrow down to the brands that are within my budget.

Thirdly... From those brands, I look at the available bodies. Held & tested them out. See which one feels better... Compare the specs. Decide which specs I'm willing to compromise and which I'm not. Looked at the prices, are they within my budget or not... To buy the body with the kit lens or with the lens in wish list... Checked again my budget...

Then on I bought my first dslr. And the purchasing journey continue till I've gotten the lenses in my wish list... and other accessories... hehe...

I'm just sharing with you and all of another way of choosing our camera & system. I'm sure thare are many other ways to go about it.

Have fun along the way. I sure did!

Status
Not open for further replies.