Question about Army Open House Photo Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kit said:
Images captured by photographers whose vision stands out from the rest. That means not asking others what they are looking for.

Whaaa, this answer beri chim .... but i like it ... so creative, so sarcastic ... good, good...

ordinaryless said:
Haha, good answer but there got to be theme for the judges to adhere to.

Come on lar.... :what:

And the theme = "Where the ACTION is"
dans-rij.gif

Kit said:
Images captured by photographers whose vision stands out from the rest. That means not asking others what they are looking for.

i m more skeptical about this type of contest. after seeing so many contest, there r 2 main, important things in singapore that will win u the trophy.

1) must show singapore is no.1 type of propaganda. your photo must show that we r very good, no.1, weapon very powerful, beautiful arm forces where everything seems so discipline, etc. u get the pic?

2) know some people in hi-places. if u happen to know 1 or 2 judges or some colonels organising this very well, u have a very good chance to walk home with the trophy.

3) this is the last thing u need, photography skill. min standard is still a requirement even if u have fulfil the first 2 but its just min. so make sure your pic r at least technically correct.

this is the reason why many times u see the top prize photo is not really happening. the one i went to see the judging was a SAF contest in SAFRA. top prize not very happening & i don't even think that the pics adhere to the theme at all. but this poly kid won top prize & he happened to know the lecturer judging it very well. there u have it the ugly side of competition. ;)

this was what i was looking for.. thank you for ya constructive suggestion..

must show singapore is no.1 type of propaganda. your photo must show that we r very good, no.1, weapon very powerful, beautiful arm forces where everything seems so discipline, etc. u get the pic?

nightpiper said:
i m more skeptical about this type of contest. after seeing so many contest, there r 2 main, important things in singapore that will win u the trophy.

1) must show singapore is no.1 type of propaganda. your photo must show that we r very good, no.1, weapon very powerful, beautiful arm forces where everything seems so discipline, etc. u get the pic?

2) know some people in hi-places. if u happen to know 1 or 2 judges or some colonels organising this very well, u have a very good chance to walk home with the trophy.

3) this is the last thing u need, photography skill. min standard is still a requirement even if u have fulfil the first 2 but its just min. so make sure your pic r at least technically correct.

this is the reason why many times u see the top prize photo is not really happening. the one i went to see the judging was a SAF contest in SAFRA. top prize not very happening & i don't even think that the pics adhere to the theme at all. but this poly kid won top prize & he happened to know the lecturer judging it very well. there u have it the ugly side of competition. ;)

And these can onli be seen in open house? :D

ordinaryless said:
Hi all,

What do you guys think they are looking for when choosing the winner for the Digital Photography contest for the Army Open House?
;)

I think they are looking for the best shot!!!
using rifle..............just kidding :blah:

take part in the competition just for the fun and challenge of producing better shots for yourselves. I would leave the politics of judging behind and move ahead to produce better shots. Win or no win, no big deal!

nightpiper said:

Look, what's your purpose in taking part competitions? To capture something with your own vision? To enjoy the process of image making? Or just being a hired hand to take pictures with someone else's vision? You have to decide, which is which. A hired hand or a photographer with your own vision?

You are free to take issues with politics, ignore the competition if you are not happy. Or be that hired hand. If you take part in competitions with high hopes to actually win something, then I have to tell you, you'd be sorely disappointed most of the time. If you think the organisers already have the winning image in mind, then all these guessings are all the more counter productive because you never know what the other party is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.