Question about a canon speedlite 420ez

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandora22

Jun 1, 2004
I just bought the flash online and when I push down on the focus button of my camera it shoots off a small flash quite often and many times it doesnt fire in low light. I havent developed anything yet and I didnt know if the pictures were going to come out ok or something is wrong with my flash.

need further info

pls provide the model of your camera...

is the flash a 430EZ or 420EX?

The camera is an EO630 and the flash is a 420ez...its an older camera and I bought the flash on ebay.

pandora22 said:
The camera is an EO630 and the flash is a 420ez...its an older camera and I bought the flash on ebay.

oops... i'm using the newer EOS A type body with EX speedlite... sorry, can't help you :think:

its ok..thanks for trying.

pandora,

I believe that you should have the older 430EZ flash (not the new 420EX).
This is based on the older A-TTL technology.
Your description of it firing a (pre) flash when you half-press the shutter sounds correct. This is the pre-flash per A-TTL.

Read the flash manual to find out more.
If you don't have a copy, you can find it online at:

http://eosdoc.com/manuals.asp?q=430EZ

Hope that helps.

pandora22 said:
when I push down on the focus button of my camera it shoots off a small flash quite often .

this may be the "pre-flash". 420ex has the new ETTL technology which includes "pre-flash".
but u r using eos 630 = old body that doesnt support ETTL
so that means the "small flash" u described may be the flash being problematic

pandora22 said:
and many times it doesnt fire in low light. .

eos 630 i think the AF should be slow in low light..ie if u r using AF set to "one-shot", it may not lock on as fast as u expect (low-light) => shutter wont fire => flash wont fire.

if its not due to the slow AF locking on...then ..hard to diagnose..coz it can be either the lens or body or flash or both or all.. :sweat:

The 630 is a great cam! AF is very fast! :thumbsup:
Not sure about the 420EZ, I was using the 430EZ, which is only slightly different from the 420EZ.

It fires an infra-red pre-flash through the little window below the flash head.
It should not be firing the main flash (white light) except when you're bouncing the flash, i.e. when the flash head is not in the default forward position.
In low light, the AF-assist lamp on the flash should fire an infrared pattern.

Can refer to the following for very detailed info:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#attl

When you have your 630 on the green circle fully automatic shouldnt the camera fire a flash in low lighting without having to set anything?

pandora22 said:
When you have your 630 on the green circle fully automatic shouldnt the camera fire a flash in low lighting without having to set anything?
Low light or not, the flash should fire when the shutter releases.
In fact, with the flash, you can even shoot in total darkness.

thank you I appriciate the information and I did notice that when it was aimed directly it was most likely just firing the shot when it was shooting upward. I do remember them saying something about it in the manual. I think what was throwing me off was that it would flash to sense the room but it wasnt flashing when I went to take the picture. It does sound like something could be wrong with it. Thank you so much for your quick response.

You're welcome! :)

Are the batteries weak? The pilot light should be at least green (half charge) or red (Full charge). If not, the flash won't fire.

Highly recommend you to use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries.

Can try cleaning the contact points on both camera and flash side using an eraser. Also must make sure the flash is properly locked, i.e. the locking pin must be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.