Question - 80-200mm f/2.8 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohgui

Jan 31, 2005
La La Land
I'm looking to get a 80-200mm f/2.8 lens. I'm currently a Nikon user and don't think can afford Nikkor lenses at the moment. Was considering between Sigma 70-210mm and Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200mm.

Need your expert and frank opinion between these two. Which produce better image quality?

sigma is better than the tokina

the current opinion now is that existing sigma version has image quality on par with nikon and canon equivalents. some say that the tokina ATX-pro is soft wide open but usaeble from f4 onwards. and sigma has HSM - your AF will be smoother. but then again if u can save up to $1200 then its enough for a used copy of the nikon two-touch version

If you consider a 80-200F2.8 lens as a keeper kind of lens, then, you might think again. I got mind and I would keeping it for like 10 years after using it for almost 3 years.

Before deciding, try going around and touch, feeling and test shoot it either in the shops or find friends. It is not only the sharpness that counts. There are many other aspects like build quality, durability, reliability, handling, flare, distortion and ........... resale value.

There many options, including buying used or buy by installment, credit card, etc. And if you think in terms of 10 years...

mohgui said:
I'm looking to get a 80-200mm f/2.8 lens. I'm currently a Nikon user and don't think can afford Nikkor lenses at the moment. Was considering between Sigma 70-210mm and Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200mm.

Need your expert and frank opinion between these two. Which produce better image quality?

btw, there's no sigma 70-210. only 70-200/f2.8.

the 2 lenses u quoted - i presume u wanna buy new? cos, these 2 lenses (new) cost more or less the same as the AF-D 80-200/f2.8 (used). 2nd-hand, based on CS prices, the sigma roughly goes for ard $900+, and tokina ard $500 (IIRC. the red ring version costs ard $300). bet the 2, sigma (some consider) the better option bet the 2. just add a couple of hunderds more and u can get the nikon 80-200mm.

i have the tokina verison b4 (albeit on a canon). the images are a bit on the soft side at wide-open. the lens is built to take abuse, and heavy. the sigma is slightly lighter, images-wise a bit on the warm side. QC for sigma really depends on the batch. some times u do get some back-focusing problems in some batches (do a search to see user comments).

as smallaperature said, the 80-200 is a keeper kind of lens. so, unless u got a cool $3K+ to burn to get the VR, the 80-200mm is a better choice among the lenses u suggest, IMO. :)

I believe the tokina is slightly cheaper than the Sigma.. and i dun think you can get a good conditioned tokina at 500+ as mentioned by NW... more likely around 700+... New prices are about 1300 for sigma and about 1100 for tokina i think....

As mentioned by NW, tokina is a relatively heavy lens but lighter than Nikon 80-200 ED. It also has a slower AF compared with the Nikon... Built wise, Tokina shd be better than SIgma but i think Sigma is faster in AFS with it's HSM....

r32 said:
There's one - just very old. Non-HSM.

Sigma 70-210mm F/2.8

Actually, there are two 70-210mm APO f/2.8 for Sigma, there are the 82mm filter sized edition and there are the 77mm filter sized edition :D .....

I think NW is just too updated to had forgotten the outdated ......

blurblock said:
Actually, there are two 70-210mm APO f/2.8 for Sigma, there are the 82mm filter sized edition and there are the 77mm filter sized edition :D .....

I think NW is just too updated to had forgotten the outdated ......

yeah. my apologies. i went up to sigma's site, and couldn't find it. :embrass:

*blurblock - been a while since i last bump into u! hope u're well?* ;)

i gt a question to ask , which of the above brand : nikon 80-200 ED , the sigma and the tokina has fastest focusing speed and is accurate ? i am also thinking of getting either one of this lens either the 80-200ed or the sigma range of 70-200 ...

mohgui said:

REFER TO THIS
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=142146

nightwolf75 said:
pray tell... have u actually used the lens b4? wat makes u decide dat the bokeh is lousy on the 80-200?

Just for reference only
Thanks

wykhoo said:
Just for reference only. Thanks

then, pls, do a check first b4 posting the link? i'm using the AF-D version of this lens, and i can tell u the 'reference' is crap. my fren TMC just bought the AF-S version of this lens, and u can go check out his gallery of pics taken in japan. then, u can decide whether the bokeh is crap.

for a real reference to the value of this lens, see here.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=114&sort=7&cat=28&page=2

for the AF-s version.
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/cat/digital-accessories/lenses/35mm-zoom/Nikon/PRD_83543_3128crx.aspx

mohgui said:

Just for your reference only do not shoot me

refer this http://article.xitek.com/showarticle.php?id=43

Status
Not open for further replies.