quest in photojournalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

denis

Feb 24, 2004
hi guys, am very interested in photojournalism. i don't really know where & how to start. how do i prepare for the shoot, and what should i shoot? can someone pls enlighten me? many thanks

denis said:
hi guys, am very interested in photojournalism. i don't really know where & how to start. how do i prepare for the shoot, and what should i shoot? can someone pls enlighten me? many thanks

hi denis,
as a start, why not select a theme/story that you feel passionate about, then go shoot pictures to support the story that you wish to convey? don't worry too much about technicalities for now, just try to capture the essence of the story in your photos. suggestion: since tomorrow is vesak day, why not shoot a "vesak day in singapore" story?
say, try to convey your story in just 12 photos.
:cool:

While not out shooting read the book by Kenneth Kobre. It's basically a college-level photojournalism textbook.

The library also has the AP guide to photojournalism, which is also a good read.

thanks alot!!

zaren, select a theme/story..

i don't really know what to shoot. maybe you can give some example? beside the vesak day. what i like is go isreal, afgan, places like this to shoot :D so i need some advise what can i shoot in here..many thanks.

and thanks for those guys who reply me! :)

denis said:
thanks alot!!

zaren, select a theme/story..

i don't really know what to shoot. maybe you can give some example? beside the vesak day. what i like is go isreal, afgan, places like this to shoot :D so i need some advise what can i shoot in here..many thanks.

and thanks for those guys who reply me! :)

as a starting point in photojournalism, no need to go so far away. you can shoot in singapore... perhaps you can do a photo-essay on "migrant workers in singapore"? their daily lives, perils of working, abuse, struggles, culture shock etc.

zaren said:
as a starting point in photojournalism, no need to go so far away. you can shoot in singapore... perhaps you can do a photo-essay on "migrant workers in singapore"? their daily lives, perils of working, abuse, struggles, culture shock etc.
yeah idea! ok, if i find e worker, like , construction side worker. how do i apporach them? taking their pics, of daily lives etc etc ... ?
thanks

Denis, for a start, to be a photojournalist, you need to be more resourceful. Certain questions are essential to getting you started. For example, your question on what to shoot had Zaren providing you with the idea of shooting migrants in Singapore.

The next step for you is to go out there and depend on yourself how to approach them and by examining what kind of information will you want to convey in your photos. There are many ways to approaching people, and you can't possibly expect anyone to provide all that to you, right? What's the point of learning and experiencing when you expect to be spoonfeed.

So now, go grab your camera and shoot some pictures!

denis said:
yeah idea! ok, if i find e worker, like , construction side worker. how do i apporach them? taking their pics, of daily lives etc etc ... ?
thanks

try getting to know some of them over a period of time. hang out at little india, mackenzie road carpark on sunday night etc. some can speak english, and can tell you about their lives and struggles. it's really up to you how to go about it... after all it's the learning/experimental process. once you gain their trust, the photos will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.