Query on new digital dry box

joemit7850

Aug 14, 2011
Hi i just bought a new digi drybox, (digi cabi DB60
is seem that the % of the humidity does not change when i turn the knob either clockwise or anti-clockwise, is this normal?

I heard from the salesman that this are normal and i will need at least 6 hours before the % will drop to normal, is this correct?
the power led is on but the % stay at 65% even after switching on for 2 hour.

well see, what a dry cabinet (not a drybox, they're different since dryboxes use silica) does is that (im talking about the non-full digital ones) it has a unit that helps to alter the humidity, then it has a unit that reads out the humidity. by lowering the knob, you're telling the engine to work at a certain rate to lower humidity. however, this takes time, and sometimes new cabinets needs breaking in.

what i read is that: you should place the knob all the way towards 'L', then leave it until the humidity drops all the way. from there, adjust the knob to achieve your desired humidity (this takes waiting time too!)

what a fully digital cabinet does, on the other hand, is that you set a humidity out front, and the thing works by itself to set the engine to get that humidity. alot more settling but comes with the price and power consumption (insignificant if you can buy a dslr lol)

my cabinet maintained 60% for awhile too, and dropped only 5% after an hour, but now it gets down to 45% easy.

After 2h there should be already a response / lower RH. Let it run with the knob turned to Red for maximum 'dry power'.
You can also do a manual check: open the door, locate the dryer unit (where the knob and light is). At the lower side there is an opening. If you check with your finger there it should feel cold (no worries, you don't touch any electrical parts there, and it's only low voltage anyway). If it's not cold then something's wrong.

There is a shortcut. If the room where the dry box is situated has an a/c unit, turn on the a/c and you will see the RH drop even without dry cab being turned on. Then turn it on, set it. The dry cab's RH should stabilize in around 30-45 mins.

well see, what a dry cabinet (not a drybox, they're different since dryboxes use silica) does is that (im talking about the non-full digital ones) it has a unit that helps to alter the humidity, then it has a unit that reads out the humidity. by lowering the knob, you're telling the engine to work at a certain rate to lower humidity. however, this takes time, and sometimes new cabinets needs breaking in.

what i read is that: you should place the knob all the way towards 'L', then leave it until the humidity drops all the way. from there, adjust the knob to achieve your desired humidity (this takes waiting time too!)

what a fully digital cabinet does, on the other hand, is that you set a humidity out front, and the thing works by itself to set the engine to get that humidity. alot more settling but comes with the price and power consumption (insignificant if you can buy a dslr lol)

my cabinet maintained 60% for awhile too, and dropped only 5% after an hour, but now it gets down to 45% easy.

Sorry is dry cabinet
so do will the % move at real time when i turn the knob? is seem that even after more than 10hours , even through the % drop to less than 50%, but when i turnn the knob, the % did not move real time, they only drop after while, is this normal?

After 2h there should be already a response / lower RH. Let it run with the knob turned to Red for maximum 'dry power'.
You can also do a manual check: open the door, locate the dryer unit (where the knob and light is). At the lower side there is an opening. If you check with your finger there it should feel cold (no worries, you don't touch any electrical parts there, and it's only low voltage anyway). If it's not cold then something's wrong.

thanks, i will try it, is it ok to leave it to the maximum with your camera in? i heard they will dry up the rubber on your camera?

first start up u need about 3-5hrs before the RH become stable... after that just play around with the knob...

but is the % change on real time after stable? or i have to wait for them to drop? mine knob is inside the cabinet.

There is a shortcut. If the room where the dry box is situated has an a/c unit, turn on the a/c and you will see the RH drop even without dry cab being turned on. Then turn it on, set it. The dry cab's RH should stabilize in around 30-45 mins.

thanks, will try it

but is the % change on real time after stable? or i have to wait for them to drop? mine knob is inside the cabinet.

Just set it to the red end for the night, go to sleep and check in the morning and adjust gradually to your requirements. Most meters reflect the resulting humidity in the cab, like having a themometer in a fridge, take time........

let me tell you this. PLEASE be patient with the dry cabinet.
after you turn it on, you're letting the unit slowly reduce the humidity of 60L of air.
the unit in front that reads out the humidity reads the CURRENT humidity of the air inside
NOT the PROJECTED FINAL HUMIDITY.
so set it all the way down, see how low your humidity gets, then set it to approximately your desired settings to achieve the desired percentage.

it need time to change... even when stable there will still be a 1-3% up and down... not to mention when u open the door to adjust the knob...

not to worry about it slowly play around with it u will get the RH you desired

Thanks everyone for your reply:D

As long as the setting in medium range, the % should be around 45 - 50 depends on your items storage in the cabinet.

i had kept my setting in the medium range for few day but the reading is still less than 40,
i heard that i need to open the door and let it be for few minute before closing the door to get correct % of 45-50. is it true???
Thanks

i had kept my setting in the medium range for few day but the reading is still less than 40,
i heard that i need to open the door and let it be for few minute before closing the door to get correct % of 45-50. is it true???
That's the same approach as if your fridge is too cold and you open the door once par day to get warm air in .. would do this?
So just turn the knob towards the green / blue end of the scale and wait, let it settle. Your camera won't crumble to dust just because of a bit lower humidity. It's made to stand worse conditions...

That's the same approach as if your fridge is too cold and you open the door once par day to get warm air in .. would do this?
So just turn the knob towards the green / blue end of the scale and wait, let it settle. Your camera won't crumble to dust just because of a bit lower humidity. It's made to stand worse conditions...

is been more than 2 week since i bought my drybox and is seem that i am not able to get the % within the 45-50
i had tune many time and wait for next day and is either less than 40 or more than 55, anyone can help?
what will happen if the % are about 38+ will it cause any problem?

I won't fret if it is at 38%. No big deal really.