Query : FZ 5 vs FZ 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

delay

Mar 24, 2005
Hi guys,

Looking to get one of these 2 models....
Am keen on the FZ 10 bcos of its manual controls but
i am particularly worried about nite shots with the FZ10...

am keen on the FZ 5 bcos of its AF at nite is supposedly good...
but the apperture is 2.8-3.3 ....

any comments will greatly help...

I am mainly going use it extensively for my travels which will include plenty of nite shots as well.....

Wah liew...

Delay u oso here Ar... hmmmzzz... join CS juz to ask about pana cameras... i tot u say dun wan...?

If u free, come for the PLUG outing... maybe have an FZ5 there for u to try, provided our first FZ5 owner Pigletnpiggy turns out...

FZ5 is a good point and shoot camera, compact oso...

Hong Jia said:
Wah liew...

Delay u oso here Ar... hmmmzzz... join CS juz to ask about pana cameras... i tot u say dun wan...?

If u free, come for the PLUG outing... maybe have an FZ5 there for u to try, provided our first FZ5 owner Pigletnpiggy turns out...

FZ5 is a good point and shoot camera, compact oso...

ya i was here yrs ago then ID got deleted cos i dun post at all haha
anyways looking at fz 5 and fz 10... comments????

errr.... nobody can comment?

Hi,

Do understand your dilemma, think you've got to ask yourself what you need first. Both cams have their share of strengths and weaknesses, and offers some comparatively different functions although they share the same platform of the leica lens, OIS n 12x zoom.

Though I am an FZ10 user, I am not going to be biased here against either one, but just to help you in listing what I know of the FZ10 and heard of the FZ 5.

Understand your concern on the noise. All 3 of them have about the same sensor n the amount of noise from pictures of all 3 is about the same, which is understandable. After looking though some sample photos on other websites taken from the FZ5 though, it seems like it applies in-house noise reduction, n some pics can look quite 'painting' like. Not very sure whether the NR can be disabled like the FZ20 though.

First, before I go into comparing the FZ10 n 5, let me compare e FZ10 n 20 for you. They are about the same breed, except of some minor improvements such as the FZ20 offers 5MP, venus II engine resulting in slightly faster focus times, diff hand grip n some slight changes to the external outlook. Retails about $910 for FZ20 n $699 for FZ10.

The FZ5, as compared to the FZ10/20, lacks the option of an external flash horseshoe, flexibility of attaching adaptors, n most imptly the manual focus. FZ10 has ISO 50-400 while FZ5/20 goes from ISO 80-400. What it gains though, is the small size n faster focus. If you do not need e extra manual focus, external flash n to attach conversion lens, the FZ5 is good enough for PnS, cos it was modeled that way.

A clearer comparison of the FZ5 n it's larger brothers can be found here. Link:

Do not take our words in this forum for it. Have you gone down to try the FZ5 n see for yourself whether it suits you? Good luck for whatever you wish to purchase!

did panasonic improve the image stabilization in the FZ20? what are the improvements in the FZ20? Since not many people has the FZ5, I think it is better to find out what has the FZ20 improved over the FZ10, since most the improvements will be in FZ5.

From some reviews, the FZ20 has

1) the new venus 2 engine. (in FZ5)
2) mode 2 image stabilization. does the FZ10 has that. (the OIS of FZ5 should be the same)

mmm... actually there are many FZ20 and FZ10 owners here right? In what ways is the FZ20 significantly better? Is the venus 2 engine much better (other than the purple fringing)? Is the OIS much better?

wind30 said:
mmm... actually there are many FZ20 and FZ10 owners here right? In what ways is the FZ20 significantly better? Is the venus 2 engine much better (other than the purple fringing)? Is the OIS much better?

fz5's apperture is 2.8-3.3... inconsistent
it seems tat most users here are fz20 users to me... anyways

i prefer the fz10 bcos i intend to use one of my old wide-angle lens on it and i reckon the manual focus will help..

tihnk can add the lens on the fz5 too but it will be auto focus.....

anyone can confirm?

Hi, to address your query, don't think there was any improvement in the OIS. FZ5/10/20 share the same technology of the OIS. I have tried the FZ20 of my fren to compare to my FZ10, the OIS is equally capable.

Cheers,

made a mistake.
FZ5 has no Conversion Lens Compatibility

Can any fz 5 users confirmed?
I think it can
fz 1 & 3 all accept coversion lens all the 55mm thread is covers by an external ring

delay said:
got my info here

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...01&catalogId=13401&langId=-1&catGroupId=24999

click on fz20 and fz5

look for Conversion Lens Compatibility
it ok just check out the jap website
seem to able to accept 55mm thread nd filter..yes :)
it can still accept the tcon 17 and the wcon 07 and the similarly size 55mm thread
image21.jpg

It is interesting to see people start to compare FZ10 with FZ5, or even FZ20.

I just had a discussion with one of my colleagues, and for a cheap solution on external flash, one can always get a L-bracket with sensor, and fire the internal flash, which will trigger the external flash, solve the flash problem.

As for night shots, even if you were to use a DSLR, unless you invest into lens (f1.8 and below), you will still have the same constraint.

The problem for low light shooting is not with the camera type or brand, it is with the f-stop....

There are many examples within Panasonic topic here where the Lumixers and ex-Lumixers worked hard to prove that the FZ family does take relatively good shots under low lite situation...

I now own both FZ 10 and a DSLR (a.k.a. the Dark side), and I am still keeping my FZ10 for ocassions where I do not think there is time for me to change lens, blow the CCD, carry a huge bag...and yes...I certainly wants to have the external flash, and constant f-2.8 whenever possible, and most importantly, the 12X zoom with manual focus ring. ;)

gha said:
had a brief encounter with fz10 and 5 would say that fz5 seem to af faster and shoot better under less than ideal lighting condition
check out this guy's snapshot at dpreview(pana forum)
see the pic of the dog? it was taken in iso 400 1/60 sec
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=12811147
awesome..

How much faster would the FZ20 Af be compared to the FZ10?
Also, my experience with the FZ10 is that using manual focus gets much sharper pics than AF. Even after I sent it in to the Pana service center.
Is it the same with your cams?

AncientMariner said:
Also, my experience with the FZ10 is that using manual focus gets much sharper pics than AF. Even after I sent it in to the Pana service center.
'ya seems to be the case for me with my fz 10...

AncientMariner said:
i totally agree!

Delay & Lynch: Tks for the replies.
Guess then there is no use beating up their service dept to get the AF fixed.
But I also had the problem where sometimes the cam indicates focus locked when it was really OOF. The service center seems to have that corrected somewhat but I did get one OOF and several very soft when I tried the AF out over the weekend. Perhaps I will have to try out again under "controlled" conditions before I give up on Panasonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.