[Query] Diff between Digi-Cabi Professional & Non-Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahk

Aug 25, 2004
As per subject. What's the difference? TIA

ahk said:
just buy the biggest one you can afford, with a hydro meter so that you know what the humidity inside the cabinet is at a given time, and worry about shooting. You don't need professional grade dry cabinet! Why you may ask. Becasue you and your camera has a much higher tolerance of fluctuating humidity level, and therefore, do not need the precision of a professional grade dry cabinet.

Ok. Thanks.
But what is the difference between them? Professional series just more precise?

ahk said:
Ok. Thanks.
But what is the difference between them? Professional series just more precise?

perhaps a better quality grade?? :dunno:

destiny_star said:
perhaps a better quality grade?? :dunno:
but do you need the precision or quality to store your camera? As long as your unit can maintain the humidity level at +/- 5%, you are fine. Even for consumer cry cabinet, the tolerance is far less than that, why do you need a profession grade one? The only thing is, the more expansive ones have teh control linked to the hydrometer.

But if you want to spend more, go ahead, it's good for the economy.

I am not sure about the tolerance or quality, but I guess 1 of the important thing about dry cabi is the sealing between the door and the the body, how air-tight is the sealing and how long the sealing gonna to last.

Astin said:
I am not sure about the tolerance or quality, but I guess 1 of the important thing about dry cabi is the sealing between the door and the the body, how air-tight is the sealing and how long the sealing gonna to last.

that is a good point...can anyone share how to evaluate air-tightness before buying?

doug

ahk said:

Some items need to be stored in an exact humidity level. Some items need to be quickly bought to an exact humidity level. These need the 'professional cabinet' to handle the requirment.

Cameras equipment need to be kept dry at around 40 % humidity with a wide tolerance. It does not matter if it is done slowly too. The purpose is just to slow down fungus growth - which takes 18 hours onwards.

So a normal dry cabinet should be good enough for cam and lenses.

Non-pro: controls are inside (manually adjusted), readouts are separate from controls and battery operate.

Pro: Controls are on the readout on the outside of the cab. Control and readouts are an integrated piece and electrically operated.

No diff in sealing, locks or drawer linings & rails. You are paying for the additional ability to set a desired numeric % in the Pro (instead of A/B/C % zones in the Non-pro).

Hope this helps and is to the point.

ahk said:

It took me a few days to get the A/B/C settings right :(.

Np for my Non-Pro AD-060 when I bought it few weeks ago.
Work well straight out of the box.
Maybe I used the 30L before... so know how to play with it..:)

I'm using AD-30. Cannot maintain the humidity level.
I set it to "B". If I leave it on w/o using timer, the
humidity level keep on dropping <30%. So i use a timer
set it off for 30mins every 4 hours. The humidity level
goes down to abt 51%. Stupid way right? :dunno:

LolliPoP said:

Never had this problem with my old 30L and new 60L cabi.
Maybe I open the cabi at least once daily..

Astin said:
True. A way to guage after buying is to take note of the rH reading. As long as it stays fixed on a reading, say, 45%, and don't fluctuate too much, then I think you should be safe.

If it keeps fluctuate even after 1 week (without opening and closing the door too often of course), then you should send it for a replacement.

U set it to A, B or C? Thks.

donchua said:
Never had this problem with my old 30L and new 60L cabi.
Maybe I open the cabi at least once daily..

I usually leave mine between B&C.

First, don't over pack the cab, i.e. leave enough room inside for the air to circulate, otherwise the sensor may register a "blocked" amount. The non-pro version has the sensor on the glass door and the drying unit at the back. The good thing about the pro version is that both are located near each other.

The ambient conditions will affect the cab's performance, too!

Do you have the cab in...
- an aircon room?
- near a window?
- near an appliance that emits significant heat or humidity?

Ambient heat causes the humidity to drop and raise when the heat is removed (e.g. on/off aircon, open/close window or curtains, sun/no sun).

LolliPoP said:

LolliPoP said:
U set it to A, B or C? Thks.

Slightly above A or 10:50 o'clock.
Reading now is 48% since I open the door last nite.
Had also tested the digimeter with salt test after I bought the cabi,
reading at 75% for more than 8hrs.

When I bought my Digi Cabi 60L (non Pro), I had similiar problems trying to adjust the humidity in the box for days. It seems no matter where i turn the knob (A, B or C), it is always below 35%.

Somthing stuck me that maybe the humidity control need a reset. I did a reset on the knob by turning it anti clockwise until the green light is totally off (for a few seconds) and turn it back up again.

Now it is running at 43% - 44%. My knob is pointing between 9-10 o'clock position.

LolliPoP said:
Mine no reset feature leh...

He mean turn the knob anti clockwise until the green light is totally off (for a few seconds)
and turn it back up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.