query abt IR flash triggers with 350D

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
I have two old 3rd party Suntax flash. One's a canon mount but its like very old might be TTL I tech, and another is a nikon mount. anyway I want to move them off camera. and I know that the 350D has a preflash.
so does that mean that I can't use them with two cheap IR hotshoe sensor cos the preflash will trigger the flash prematurely?

What are my other options then?

slaam said:
I have two old 3rd party Suntax flash. One's a canon mount but its like very old might be TTL I tech, and another is a nikon mount. anyway I want to move them off camera. and I know that the 350D has a preflash.
so does that mean that I can't use them with two cheap IR hotshoe sensor cos the preflash will trigger the flash prematurely?

What are my other options then?

This item works with preflash, not cheap thou
http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Or you can try taping some pins.
I also wish to know the result, as I don't have a canon flash. It doesn't work on Metz flash.
http://www.eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=EX-M-TTL

mpenza said:
can try getting a small and cheap flash as the trigger.

That's an excellent suggestion.

To go further, you can turn that small hotshoe flash into an IR flash trigger by just taping unexposed but processed E-6 (slide) film to cover the light transmitting face of the flash. The unexposed E-6 film acts as an IR filter most of the visible light, letting IR pass through.

Readymade IR slave triggers are just very fast recycling strobes with a 'proper' IR filter in front anyway.

Thanks PQ23 for ur tips
hmm but never seen them in sg.
apparently sunpak has a digital flash apdator that is like your link it prob costs $50 sing but emailed cathay and they dun have it.

the flash i have is cheap automatic TTL suntax ones so can't switch to IR trigger mode.
and am reluctant to put the canon flash on my spanking new 350D as i fear it might spoil it. though i doubt it.
in any case i want to move it off camera for macro work.

if i buy an offshoe cord i would need two and it will set me back $180 and for both flash i can't use E TTL anyway so its a waste of good money.

i think some sorta IR or RF trigger would work but then again its alot of stuff to buy ..
the digital flash adaptor was what I was looking for but dunno how to describe it at first.
now i know heh but not sold in sg ..
so have you seen it?

Using Canon, u could do it with a ST-E2 wireless controller and multiple units of 420EX/430EX/550EX/580EX....

Status
Not open for further replies.