query about LTC's career

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
please only reply if you have answers.

i know it's a little sensitive, but i sort of need to know cos it's pretty important to me.

-what is the basic pay of a LTC/SLTC in saf?
-is the pay package about the same for saf and airforce?appointments aside?
-i heard saf retirement is 45, does that mean these senior officers will be jobless after that or could they continue signing on till 60-65?

i appreciate all answers.if these are really too sensitive, please pm me.
thanks

i know it's a little sensitive, but i sort of need to know cos it's pretty important to me.

-i heard saf retirement is 45, does that mean these senior officers will be jobless after that or could they continue signing on till 60-65?

thanks

Rank pay can be above $10k depending on grade. It is the same in all service, but some vocation there is allowance.

The retirement is 45 years old, some will be offer another scheme to retire later, up to 55 or later. Some retire earlier and convert to non-uniformed staff under DSTA.

Rank pay can be above $10k depending on grade. It is the same in all service, but some vocation there is allowance.

The retirement is 45 years old, some will be offer another scheme to retire later, up to 55 or later. Some retire earlier and convert to non-uniformed staff under DSTA.

a lot of them move on to schools to serve as OMs (operational managers). so far all the sch i been in, all of the oms, used to be ex officers... etc etc

thanks

it varies with vocation and education level and appointment.
Basic pay for a LTC 1 about 10 years ago when i plow through the GI is close to 7K.
If combat, u receive a higher stipidend than service. If degree, you get an education supplement, Master more. If u are commanding officer, u get 500-700 more, formation head, u get more etc. So it really depends.

Most get ~8-10K after all the extra stuff if they are around 40-42 years of age when they hit LTC. Of cse, if u are a fantastic guy who hits LTC at age 35, ur pay's gonna differ. Scholar's different.
Last time, If u are LTC, u retire at 45 while Maj and below retire at 42. Retirement age has been raised to 50.

Post retirement, at LTC level, u are not actually promised a job. Most do OM job at schools, ST logistics etc. If possible, try to fight for full colonel, gaurantee good job after retirement

Jeanie been offer a job as LTC or COL in SAF? :bsmilie:

thanks guys for all the answers.

i'll be really honest.

someone whom i'm seeing is a SLTC.now 36.
we havent really been together long enough, that's why i'm really curious as to how much he's commanding.($, i mean).

i know, next person will come flaming my arse saying why look at $ blah blah blah blah blah, but seriously, it's one of the considerations for me.and please give me this rights.

imho, 7k-8k is a little low for a guy at mid 30s but i know it's tough comparing different sectors, different jobs.

in my sector, any guy at my level will easily be commanding 15k.

:cry:

Or maybe her bf wants to sign on SAF ? :)

unfortunately,
MOST of my guy friends who are in SAF just cant wait to get out.
are things really that bad there?

sorry.maybe i shouldnt be discussing this just in case this threads get sweeped under carpet.

so assuming there are not being offered as a OM, how?
45 years old.out and running.
at that age, how many companies will hire?

even retirement at 55.what's he going to do for the rest of his life?

feed off me?:bsmilie:

thanks

first of all, I am not a regular. However, I do know that my CO(LTC) was getting ~13K + Gov link overseas investment...after 45, you might get converted to admin graded staff(DXO rank if not wrong), but pay would be ~havled. No combat allowances or other vocation link allowance.

This was though some years back alr...just for ref.

feed off me?:bsmilie:

Even he been offered as a OM, he will suffer drastic pay cut.

If you looking for someone with $15k per month, SLTC at 36 is no go, because his CEP wouldn't be superscale level.

thanks guys for all the answers.

i'll be really honest.

someone whom i'm seeing is a SLTC.now 36.
we havent really been together long enough, that's why i'm really curious as to how much he's commanding.($, i mean).

i know, next person will come flaming my arse saying why look at $ blah blah blah blah blah, but seriously, it's one of the considerations for me.and please give me this rights.

imho, 7k-8k is a little low for a guy at mid 30s but i know it's tough comparing different sectors, different jobs.

in my sector, any guy at my level will easily be commanding 15k.

:cry:

huh he only earning $7-8k as a SLTC? can't be right? :confused:

sad, i am in my early 30s, but my pay is only like half of $7k :(

Last edited:

feed off me? :bsmilie:
Most military contracts are offered to civilian corporations, many of this civilian companies and their subsidiaries are managed by former senior military officers.

So no guessing where most "retired" SAF personnel ends up at.

Last edited:
Even he been offered as a OM, he will suffer drastic pay cut.

If you looking for someone with $15k per month, SLTC at 36 is no go, because his CEP wouldn't be superscale level.

oh.thanks for info.

is a full colonel 'guaranteed' before a sltc retires at 45?

I am working in the military now.

To answer ur question Jeanie, you must know something very important. The army may pay u around $10 (LTC) $13k (S/LTC) which seems to be quite a lot, but theres a big reason for it.

You must know and the guy already know that he doesnt have value anymore when he retires at 40+ from the military --> It is super hard to find jobs elsewhere because his military experience is practically useless. And somemore at 40+ without practical experience, its ultra uber hard.

It is precisely due to the early retirement age, that is why the army pays u so high monthly salary --> the high monthly of 10k or 13k is for u to save up for the future when u retire at 40+.

However, another thing that u might be very interested ($$$$$$$), when the military officers retire at 40+, for a LTC or S/LTC, they could receive a lump sum payment of close to a million dollars for retirement. Is this million dollar amount sufficient to maintain the lifestyle of the both of you till around 80 yrs old for the both of you?

The LTC or S/LTC should have already save up a substantial amount of money so by the time he retires, he should probably have at least 500k savings? this 500k + 1 million = $1.5mil should be sufficient to maintain the lifestyle of most ppl.... but i am not sure abt u, considering u buy skylines, D3s, f2.8 lenses like buying popiahs...

After retirement from military, another option would be to convert to a DXO, but like what the rest had mentioned, normally they would take a paycut of 50% (arnd 5k or 6k), sometimes even more. By being a DXO, they can work till the statutory retirement age. And again to me, being still able to take home 5k or 6k at mid 40s onwards is already a very good thing, taking note that outside corporations wouldnt wan you.

Actually, to most ppl, to be able to command a salary of 4k/mth or 5k/mth is a very big thing. And to most girls, they would be satisfied and willing to settle down with a guy that could bring home a 4k/mth or 5k/mth salary. I mean this is for normal guys and girls with normal expectations.

I am not saying you are wrong to take the $$$$ factor of a guy as a major consideration when considering a bf/ future husband, but if u wan to settle down with guys that are outside of ur industry, you have to tweak ur expectations. Otherwise, hunt for guys in ur industry...

You might be heavily influenced by the ppl around you, and are used to ppl commanding 15k, 20k, 100k salaries, but you must understand and know that in reality, not every job/industry/career gives u 15k by mid-30s. Most ppl in Singapore are still stuck at 4k+, 5k+, 6k+ even though they are already at 40s or 50s.

oh.thanks for info.

is a full colonel 'guaranteed' before a sltc retires at 45?

To be a full colonel, take it that its almost impossible unless u are a scholar. Do u know that in the military, the hardest promotion arena is the jump from LTC to COL?

And do you know whats the significance of COL? By being a COL, your pay goes into the SUPERSCALE bracket. By being an entry SUPERSCALE, you can expect 200k to 300k per year.

Whereas for LTC, you are just a normal mortal. Precisely because of this SUPERSCALE bracket, it is the hardest jump in the military, and > 95% are scholars.

So, my advise to u to know if ur bf/future husband gona be a COL, ask if he's a scholar, if not, just take it that he will retire as a LTC

Most army ppl i know are not ppl who saves or plan their finances very well(i'm not saying all) so jeanie you better check out the guy's spending pattern and does he have any saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.