quality of ultra-zoom digital cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

asturias105

Dec 18, 2004
photobloglww.orgfree.com
Hi, have been thinking of getting a ultra-zoom camera (10x or 12x), but read reviews that when compared to normal consumer digita cameras, ultra-zoom cameras have slightly worse image quality (purple fringing, blurry,etc). Is this always the case?
Also, if I zoom to the max to take a picture, is it necessary to use a tripod?

Hope ultrazoom cameras' users can help provide the details. thanks! :)

ultra zoom?

if u're toking abt optical zoom confirm not a problem lar...

however, DIGITAL ZOOM is a :nono: ... never consider getting a digital camera based on its digital zoom stats...

on the tripod point... depends lar. like if u're taking night scenery shots which require the shutter to open for a considerable amount of time then get one lar... then again, depends very much wad u're gonna shooot with it...

jonlou said:
ultra zoom?

if u're toking abt optical zoom confirm not a problem lar...

however, DIGITAL ZOOM is a :nono: ... never consider getting a digital camera based on its digital zoom stats...

on the tripod point... depends lar. like if u're taking night scenery shots which require the shutter to open for a considerable amount of time then get one lar... then again, depends very much wad u're gonna shooot with it...
hi there :)
i'm talking about huge optical zoom cams like Canon S1 and Lumix Fz20, etc..

even with occasional fringing its still better than norm. But my panasonic FZXX appears a bit blur in lower light + high zoom conditions.

asturias105 said:
Hi, have been thinking of getting a ultra-zoom camera (10x or 12x), but read reviews that when compared to normal consumer digita cameras, ultra-zoom cameras have slightly worse image quality (purple fringing, blurry,etc). Is this always the case?
Also, if I zoom to the max to take a picture, is it necessary to use a tripod?

Hope ultrazoom cameras' users can help provide the details. thanks! :)

at the Maximum Zoom, it is advisable to use a tripod, since a slightest shake caused by the hand movement can blur the shot.

But it depends on the amt of light, at the time u are taking the shot.

For a Nikon Coolpix 8800, the focal length (in 35mm terms) is 38mm-380mm
Generally, to avoid blur due to camera shake, it is advisable to have the shutter speed FASTER than 1/Focal length.

So at max zoom of 380mm, the min shutter speed to avoid bluring by camera shake is 1/380.
So U have to have VERY BRIGHT LIGHT, maybe 12pm or 1pm Sun, in order to take a sharp picture.

Certain cameras like Canon's PRO 1, nikon Coolpix 8800, Minolta A2, Panasonic FZ20. Have measures inside to Counter the shake.
Canon = Image Stabliser (IS)
Nikon = Vibration Reduction (VR)
Minolta = Anti Shake (AS)
Panasonic = Image Stabliser (IS)

This feature allows u to shoot at a lower speed W/O having a blurred shot.
BUT Keep in mind, it only counters shake From your hand, if its the subject that is moving, it cant prevent blurred pics still.

Some camera's lens have "special" coating, to reduce purple fringing, like Nikon's ED, Canon's 'L' lens (pro 1)...etc

Lastly, since u like to take high zoom pics. do remember that the built-in flash isnt strong enough to "light up" the subject at distance of 4-5m and above.

You will likely invest in a external flash to boost this area.
Since Nikon, Canon, Minolta have their Own brand of flashes or 3rd party flashes (sigma, Metz..etc) that support TTL (E-TTL, i-TTL...etc), the flashes are more "intelligent" compared to the std flash hotshoe of the Panasonic FZ20, which the flash will either be in Manual or Auto mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.