Quality of Export Lens (Hongkong + Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qing02051981

Dec 25, 2005
Simei
hancheng-travel.blogspot.com
Any differences in quality of lenses bought Hong Kong and Singapore? I was asking around for price of Tamron 90mm macro and someone told me that the quality of lenses bought in Hong Kong is lousier and you will only know the difference after taking the photos. It is better to get original Nikon compared to 3rd party lens.

Prices of this lens at various shop also differs by so much and I wonder how I can tell if it is original from Tamron and the quality of the lens....

Someone can clarify?

what are you talking about? :dunno:
first you talking about export lenses vs lenses bought locally, after that you talk about tamron vs nikon (orignial vs 3rd party)... :dunno:

grey refers to parallel imports, i.e. no local warranty. Exactly same lens.

If a lens meant to be sold in Hong Kong as a local (warrantied) set, it becomes grey when if someone brings it to Singapore? I don't see why the quality would change if that is the case.

Heard there is something called grey stock or grey market whereby the quality of the lens is lousier although it is at a cheaper price.

"Grey' import lenses and 'official' lenses are the same. Just that one is brought in through official distributors, while the other is brought in through parallel importer. Those bought from official distributors have local/international warranty, while those grey import does not have any local warranty, only shop warranty. The main difference in price is due to the warranty. Other than that, the 2 type of lenses are the same (ie coming from the same factory)

"Grey' import lenses and 'official' lenses are the same. Just that one is brought in through official distributors, while the other is brought in through parallel importer. Those bought from official distributors have local/international warranty, while those grey import does not have any local warranty, only shop warranty. The main difference in price is due to the warranty. Other than that, the 2 type of lenses are the same (ie coming from the same factory)

Thanks. That does assured me of buying the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED in Hong Kong :D

Thanks. That does assured me of buying the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED in Hong Kong :D

If u r buying a lense from Hong Kong its already much cheaper than getting one in Singapore..so no point getting a grey set in Hong Kong..furthermore lenses bought in Hong Kong comes with int'l warranty..:think:

I believe lenses do come with Intl warranty
Bodies however,do not
Whats more,can save quite a bit buying from hongkong

A shop in Singapore??:bsmilie: They of course would not want you to buy elsewhere.

:bsmilie: If they can, they would most probably say their shop's stuff are the best in Singapore, Jb and even Batam. The only place on this planet to buy is from them. But of course they can't say that.

:bsmilie: If they can, they would most probably say their shop's stuff are the best in Singapore, Jb and even Batam. The only place on this planet to buy is from them. But of course they can't say that.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Any differences in quality of lenses bought Hong Kong and Singapore? I was asking around for price of Tamron 90mm macro and someone told me that the quality of lenses bought in Hong Kong is lousier and you will only know the difference after taking the photos. It is better to get original Nikon compared to 3rd party lens.

Prices of this lens at various shop also differs by so much and I wonder how I can tell if it is original from Tamron and the quality of the lens....

Someone can clarify?
Who told you this? The Singapore shop owner?

HS

there is no great saving if you purchase a grey set from hk as compare to a warrantied set. there are shops like ting cheung, which sell grey set at the same price that you can get it from other shops with international warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.