Quality of D70 kit lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Mar 5, 2004
Tanah Merah
Hi guys....after some advice....i finally manage to open up the aperture of the kit lens for an inspection of dust and all that...

Saw thru the light....that there are numerous.....white dots on the lens...its not on the front element...cause I tried wiping the front the rear element.....they are still there....

They are trapped in the inner elements of the lens.....

Anyone did a similar inspection of the kit lens....

Wonder what are those white dots....dont look like dust to me...more like chip marks(cannot be so many chips rite...?)

Any ideas....?

Most prob just dust man. I hope it's not fungus, should not be as fungus looks more 'web-like'. Dust in the lens is not really a quality problem. It comes with use. No worries, just send in your lens for a cleaning at the Nikon service center.

Don't worry, its just dust. ALL, I repeat, ALL lenses will get them at one point or another with use, so don't worry too much about. They wouldn't impact photo quality, unless you have gigantic dust balls in there.

Talking about gigantic dust balls... ask sianzRong, he had one the other time.. heehee, perfectly normal for lenses to have dust... you can send it in for cleaning.

espn said:
Talking about gigantic dust balls... ask sianzRong, he had one the other time.. heehee, perfectly normal for lenses to have dust... you can send it in for cleaning.

And it will come back with just as manu dust specks as when you sent it in..

The lenses are not vacummed sealed so dust willget in over and over again..

And i can assure you that even if you use your fingers to touch the front glass and leave 10 full fingerprints, you won't even be able to tell the difference between photo A which is dead clean and photo B which is dead dirty. :D

2100 said:
And i can assure you that even if you use your fingers to touch the front glass and leave 10 full fingerprints, you won't even be able to tell the difference between photo A which is dead clean and photo B which is dead dirty. :D

So, why bother send it in for cleaning? Sorry, aa newbie here...

for the same reason that one would wash his car even though the dirt will not afffects its performance.

- . - !!!! thats something new... interesting..... :D

Thanks guys..hopefully its just dust....but the funny thing is....how i can i more dust in my 2 mth old kit lens than my 8 yr old 70-210 zoom lens.....?

Cause i check the other lenses i have they have less dust in them.....

Robin said:
Thanks guys..hopefully its just dust....but the funny thing is....how i can i more dust in my 2 mth old kit lens than my 8 yr old 70-210 zoom lens.....?

Cause i check the other lenses i have they have less dust in them.....

Thailand is a dusty place :bsmilie:

j/k

Seriously though, I've got friends remark that my made in Thailand D70 kit lens don't "feel" as good as the other Made in Japan ones.. complained that the focus ring feels a bit tight, as well as the zoom ring.. dunno lah, me first time SLR user, feels ok to me :)

well to be honest, so long as the dust is not your rear lense, you are safe. I have a speck of dust on my 20-35mm AF and 80-200 AFS, on the inner lense, but it has never affect the photos, even on the slides when using my F4. So I will agree with 2100.

I have used the it on my D70, and no effect on the end result. I hope this will answer your question.

Milos said:
well to be honest, so long as the dust is not your rear lense, you are safe. I have a speck of dust on my 20-35mm AF and 80-200 AFS, on the inner lense, but it has never affect the photos, even on the slides when using my F4. So I will agree with 2100.

I have used the it on my D70, and no effect on the end result. I hope this will answer your question.

why as long as not on the rear element.??

the rear element, is where the final image will be imprinted/focus onto the film. Unless your dust is well the size of the cat's hairball on the inner lense, it will then effect the final results.

Milos said:
the rear element, is where the final image will be imprinted/focus onto the film. Unless your dust is well the size of the cat's hairball on the inner lense, it will then effect the final results.

I have had dust on my rear element and it has never effected my images..

I think quality is really the issue with their thailand plant.....at least consistent quality....

Robin said:
I think quality is really the issue with their thailand plant.....at least consistent quality....

I simply cannot understand why a little bit of dust here and there can get pple to go ga ga and bitching so much abt quality, etc etc. You gonna be surprise how much dust its gonna take on ur lenes to affect the quality of images. Forget the witchhunts and continue shooting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.