Quality @16mm of a Tokina 11-16mm on a Nikon FX camera

poolgirl

Oct 26, 2007
hi can anyone comment on the performance of this DX lens at 16mm (to avoid vignetting) on an FX camera. most forums i read (including the ubiquitous Ken Rockwell's) just mention that vignetting can be avoided by removing the hood and filter. i do mostly travel photography and detest carrying heavy lenses around, so the nikkor 14-24mm would not really be an option. are there any lightweight f2/8 or f3/5 nikkors (prime, manual etc) that i could consider that will not cross the $1k mark that r better?

even with hood and filter, you should be able to use 11-16 on d700 with hardly any vignetting

Last edited:
thanks sorry i should add that i have a 18-70mm nikkor so would ideally be looking for a wider prime to cover <18mm.

even with hood and filter, I am able to use my 11-16 on my d700 with hardly any vignetting

sorry, i missed out that i can use 15.5mm even with hood and filter without vignetting :)

thanks sorry i should add that i have a 18-70mm nikkor so would ideally be looking for a wider prime to cover <18mm.

The 18-70 is DX so its likely to vignette. 18-70 dx is like 24-105 fx.

So the 20mm is still good for FX and aplenty wide. Its hard to find a perfect balance between DX/FX usability, weight, and cost.

ok, what's the quality of the resulting picture like though?

ok, what's the quality of the resulting picture like though?

You can google for some reviews, there's a good one from Thom Hogan IIRC. Flickr should have a group for that too.

poolgirl said:

For fx? I think <18mm have, but none <1k$.

Afs vr 16-35 f/4 fx abt 1.6k+
Afs 14-24 f/2.8 fx abt 2.8k+
Afs 17-35 f/2.8 fx abt 2.9k++
Afd 14 f/2.8 fx also abt 2.xk+++

3rd party, maybe tokina 17-35 f/4 fx? But none available locally, price also unknown.

Not sure about tamron and sigma .

Last edited:
GReddyZC76 said:
For fx? I think <18mm have, but none <1k$.

Afs vr 16-35 f/4 fx abt 1.6k+
Afs 14-24 f/2.8 fx abt 2.8k+
Afs 17-35 f/2.8 fx abt 2.9k++
Afd 14 f/2.8 fx also abt 2.xk+++

3rd party, maybe tokina 17-35 f/4 fx? But none available locally, price also unknown.

Not sure about tamron and sigma .

Not to forget tokina 16-28mm F/2.8

There's still the Sigma 15-30mm F/3.5-4.5 for FX. It's no longer in production, but an used copy can go for ~S$500?

The lens is not heavy, but rather big in size.

Cowseye said:
Not to forget tokina 16-28mm F/2.8

Oh ya. For fx too.

Thanks for adding.

Kenrockwell reviewed this tokina 16-28 f/2.8 as good as nikkor afs14-24 f/2.8 fx. And both doesnt take filter.

thanks all. some great suggestions here. given my needs (light, less than 1k pref, gd quality and usable on dx and fx cameras) think I'll narrow down candidates to samyang 14mm, tokina 14-28mm and 11-16mm.

Samyang would be my recommendation as well, in fact I would recommend it over the 20mm AFD initially mentioned.

Re: Samyang 14mm,
i) can aperture be synced with dx (d300 onwards) and fx nikons so that TTL metering can be done?
ii) also is this latest model: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

Last edited:
TS,

are you using a DX lens on FX camera?

Re: Samyang 14mm,
i) can aperture be synced with dx (d300 onwards) and fx nikons so that TTL metering can be done?
ii) also is this latest model: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

i) Matrix metering works on all bodies D7000 and above for all models of Samyang 14mm. For the newer "AE" version of Samyang 14mm, matrix metering will work with all digital Nikon bodies. And for the AE version, you control Aperture using the control dial on your camera (setting aperture on the lens to F22).

ii) no. The newest Nikon mount version is Samyang AE14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC

Last edited:
rodel said:
TS,

are you using a DX lens on FX camera?

yeah I started the thread to find out whether there are any quality issues using the tokina 11-16mm on a fx camera. ken Rockwell just mentioned that it's usable at 16mm and other reviews tend to be equally vague.

yeah I started the thread to find out whether there are any quality issues using the tokina 11-16mm on a fx camera. ken Rockwell just mentioned that it's usable at 16mm and other reviews tend to be equally vague.

It works with no problems. But the Tokina 11-16 is not exactly small nor light. Quite a waste for just using it at 16mm.