Quaity of pictures ?

Newphotographer2

Oct 29, 2011
Northampton
When my picture from my DSLR is on my computer i can check the metadata in all the data it saids X resolution 350 & Y resolution 350 . Is that dot per inch ?

My old pocket camera is X res 72 & y res 72 and the picture is lesser quality

When my picture from my DSLR is on my computer i can check the metadata in all the data it saids X resolution 350 & Y resolution 350 . Is that dot per inch ? My old pocket camera is X res 72 & y res 72 and the picture is lesser quality and can i find out if the new camera is high in resolution ?

Ignore it -- DPI is useless an indicator of image quality.

You can check the sensor resolution from the pixel count (e.g. 4000 x 3000 pixels), but that is just ONE of the many factors that affect technical image quality.

Sorry put my tread in the wrong area!

When you post a thread at the wrong place, a couple things you can do;

- Leave it as it is, and let other member inform the moderators or let moderator to find out themselves.

- Delete the existing thread and post a new thread at the right place.

- Ask the Admins and Mods team to help you, by click the little triangle with exclamation mark located beneath every post to report your own post.

Threads merged.

When my picture from my DSLR is on my computer i can check the metadata in all the data it saids X resolution 350 & Y resolution 350 . Is that dot per inch ? My old pocket camera is X res 72 & y res 72 and the picture is lesser quality and can i find out if the new camera is high in resolution ?

72 PPI or 300 PPI has noting to do with camera sensor resolution, it only come in play when you do printing, You may need to do some reading on the PPI or DPI, please search online as this topic already covered extensively.
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/the-72-ppi-web-resolution-myth/

you want to find out what is the sensor resolution of your DSLR, you can

- read the spec of your camera from user manual or just simply search online

- do a mouse right click (windows) on your large jpg taken by your DSLR, look at the property / details tab of the image, see what is written in the image resolution.