Quadro or FireGL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
New to this...

Anybody know which is better? and for beginners with limited budget (for learning) which card is better, in AGP or PCI express.

Graphic card won't affect your editing speed. It only affects your gaming. Any NEW card in the market (fast or slow) will be just as good.

tunster said:
Graphic card won't affect your editing speed. It only affects your gaming. Any NEW card in the market (fast or slow) will be just as good.

erm... these are not gaming cards... i tried on my 64bit, X800, seem awfully slow if i were to render a image at home... and imagine i'm just going to render a 3D image as 2D takes me an hour... so was thinking if i get a workstation type of graphics card, will it help?

Are you talking about rendering images on something like 3D Max or Bryce? That type of rendering is sheer number crunching and the graphics card is only of limited help in speeding the process up.

Verywierd said:
Are you talking about rendering images on something like 3D Max or Bryce? That type of rendering is sheer number crunching and the graphics card is only of limited help in speeding the process up.

ya something like 3Dmax, i am using another software...

so graphics card limited help, whats the best thing to get to speed up? :think:

image editing don need so much speed, if you want it to be faster add more ram it helps more than replacing to a better gpu

What 3d software u using?
Different 3D softwares work faster this than that other chipsets.

workstation graphic accelerators are different from gaming cards
they provide hardware accelerated rendering specific for CAD/CAM software.

Of course Processor and ram helps as well. But the graphic accelerator also
plays a part, where got workstation with gaming video card?

ortega said:
find out what works best with the software of your choice.
dedicated drivers for your software

I bought Sketch 5, overall no problem, unless i increase the polygon count, like dome normal is 9, i increase to 50, den i will see lagging.. otherwise its fine... on their site, they recommend using nvidia... seem to have some problems with ATI, but for me so far so good

i gotten the Vue demo, den i tried to render the background and a car from the samples. the rendering at Ultra is damn slow... normal rendering is fast... just that want those high quality output is slow...

maybe i go increase my ram to 4gig 1st...

maybe you would want to invest in a dual core processor if you have the budget to?
heard that these processors (as they have two cores) are much faster in things like video editing, image editing, video encoding etc.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
I bought Sketch 5, overall no problem, unless i increase the polygon count, like dome normal is 9, i increase to 50, den i will see lagging.. otherwise its fine... on their site, they recommend using nvidia... seem to have some problems with ATI, but for me so far so good

i gotten the Vue demo, den i tried to render the background and a car from the samples. the rendering at Ultra is damn slow... normal rendering is fast... just that want those high quality output is slow...

are you sure your motherboard supports up to 4gig? most mobos only support 2gig max. also, it won't make a significant difference once past 2gig. the jump in performance from like 128mb to 1gig is alot, but once u have 2gig, the difference is minimal.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

ive been using 3d lab graphic card.for over a year.happy abt it.does it help?..it does.but i think e overall performance of ur pc is directly in proportion to ur rendering time.Vue program is more of an environmental 3d package..so ur toking about raytracing all e object on ur scene 360 degrees.im sure there is a setting for the rendering and raytracing.:lovegrin:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

HI DCA,

I am doing some rendering , find that upping the RAM and dual processor helps. you may consider network rendering to speed up stuff.

It depends greatly what hardware your rendering software is optimise for.

the graphic card only helps to speed up your viewing of your model when u are doing a quick shading or rotating your camera angle, especially when your wireframe models are heavy. a slow card results in jerkyness when rotating or zooming camera angle. fast rendering depends on ram and cpu. do note not all 3D programs support dual processing.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
New to this...

Anybody know which is better? and for beginners with limited budget (for learning) which card is better, in AGP or PCI express.

These graphic accelerators (quadro Pro, FireGL) are meant for workstation, most of the time for MCAD software like Pro/Engineer, Unigraphics, Catia... etc.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
New to this...

Frankly for 3D animation work you need more Horsepower in the CPU and RAM department first. A couple of clients of mine who do animaiton work professionally swear by the Matrox Parhelia cards for general animation work and also for their accuracy when creating mapping textures in 2D using PhotoShop.

AGP or PCI-E makes little difference until you get in to real workstation level cards and they cost a lot of $$.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.