Qs for Portrait taking

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinestars

Dec 14, 2008
I don't have images to show, so please try to understand. thanks

When taking portrait: I using a 50mm f1.8 len, the picture i took. it will focus on the face sharp and the background is blur (in a circle shape). but the shoulder is blur too.

My question is, how to get the whole model sharp and the background is blur.

By adjusting the aperture to a bigger number? or what?

if u wana get a overall sharpness for the subject, try to use a higher aperture no.

thanks for the quick reply.
If i use a higher aperture, does the background still blur?

It will still depend on the aperture used, but of cos distance of bg between subject still matters.

Higher aperture number (meaning smaller aperture) results in deeper Depth of Field, so more of the image will be sharper.
Another way is to step back, creating more distance between yourself and subject.
Background will still be blur, but may not be AS BLUR as in your first attempt.

thanks for the quick reply.
If i use a higher aperture, does the background still blur?

Less than at 1.8, but it will still be blurred. I suggest you try f/2.8 to f/4.

Read more about depth of field.

I think u might meant this.

Picture1-15.jpg

Try using a smaller aperture to increase DOF and stand further from the subject. I'm also using a 50mm.

1) Stop down.
2) Move further from the subject.
3) Move the subject further away from the background.

I think u might meant this.

Picture1-15.jpg

Try using a smaller aperture to increase DOF and stand further from the subject. I'm also using a 50mm.

Yes, as u can see the hair and shoulder still blur. coz i saw other ppl post their photo. the whole model is clear with background blur,even they shoot from the waist level.

Yes, as u can see the hair and shoulder still blur. coz i saw other ppl post their photo. the whole model is clear with background blur,even they shoot from the waist level.

I purposely created this effect as i was shooting at f/1.2. If i stood further away and stop down to f/4, i'll get the effect that u wanted.

Thanks everyone!! i got what i want now.

Status
Not open for further replies.