QR Mounting Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
I'm continually amazed at the cost of mounting plates for both bodies and lenses. A simple piece of machined aluminum costing US$50 and upwards just boggles my mind.

Does anyone know of any cheaper source of such products? Even the used market for such plates still command relatively high asking prices.

Specifically, I'm looking for QR plates for my Canon lenses like the 100-400L, 300/2.8 and 400/5.6

Thanks for any info.

jumbocrab

Jun 27, 2004
Sigh, all I can say is that ... the price is like that one ... and you get what you paid for - quality!

There are cheaper alternatives, but they are mostly not as well made. Poorly made plates will defeat the purpose of having a rock solid tripod and ballhead. I guess the only way you can "cut cost" is to share plates, ie, buy one that can fit more than one model of lens, and dismount/mount it on the lens you are going to use.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
Having 1 plate for multiple lenses is a must for me. At those prices, I simply refuse to buy more than one of each plate!

jumbocrab

Jun 27, 2004
In that case, I suggest you take a look at the Wimberley P5:
http://www.tripodhead.com/Camera-body-plates.html

It is a universal plate for camera body. Even though it is not a custom made for a specific model, the plate will fit tightly on most camera body and will not twist.

As for lens collar plates, the generic plates have nubs on one end to prevent twisting. You just need to get one that can fit onto the longest of the lens collar that you have.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
The Wimberly plates seem to take a wider range of lenses for each plate. I guess the Kirk or RRS plates are more customised. I suppose having more specific plates for certain lens types will also increase the sales for the manufacturers.

I use the Wimberly P-50 and its certainly a piece of wonderfully engineered metal. I had been considering the P-20 and P-5, but I'm sure there are more affordable options out there.

Thanks for sharing Jumbocrab.

nuts

Jan 21, 2002
www.roving-light.com
Me too... yet I spent US$52 on that wimberley P5 :(
:hammer: myself

Terence said:
I'm continually amazed at the cost of mounting plates for both bodies and lenses. A simple piece of machined aluminum costing US$50 and upwards just boggles my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom