Qns regarding Konnoc charger ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennislim

Feb 10, 2003
Bishan
www.tripletsproductions.com
1) i found that upon charging ... the green indicator on the top right hand corner blinks every 2 / 3 secs ... is it normal ? cause the manual doesn't say anything about that blinking part ....

2) i find that when my batteries are drain out by my flash (batteries could not charged up the flash unit due to insufficient power) and i put into the konnoc charger to charge ... it seems that it takes about 30 mins or so to be come full ... ain't it supposed to be taking 2 and 1/2 hours from 0 mah to 2500 mah ?? (using flash 420ex)

Hi,

1) My Konnoc charger LED blinks at the same rate too, guess its normal.
2) A full charge is abt 20mins for four 2500mAh batts. The faster the better right?

Cheers

Mine blinks too ... I find it worrying in the beginning.

I agree on the charging, it would seems it charges faster than what is stated. I'm not sure about how long my batts is holding out as I have yet to fully utilise them yet.

Gee... i bought from Comex but have not used yet... As i'm awaiting my 2700mAh AA to arrive.

i tink most chargers nowadays are rather intelligent. they have individual control circuitry to regulate the charge cycle. if the batt is flat, the charger will attempt to pump in a high current to the batt until it reaches a certain percentage of charge and slowly throttles down to trickle charge to top it up...

during the initial charge phase, the batt may get hot, so be sure to place the charger in an airy place w/o its own protective cover in place. batteries shd remain cool for better absorption of charge. heat is a main factor in shortening the lifespan of the battery. becos of this i modded my maha charger to incorporate a $2 6cm box fan to force-cool the batt.

there's a good website on battery info on www.batteryuniversity.com for more details.

I read somewhere that to get the maximum capacity out of a NiMh battery, you must perform a charge/discharge cycle three times consecutively before using it. If you don't do this, you may get something like only 70%-80% capacity. Doing it, you can get around 90% capacity.

The batteries will also last longer if you perform the charge/discharge cycles. The Konnoc charger has this function, so make use of it.

Note that you cannot achieve the rated capacity i.e. 100%.

Don't as me why. :dunno: I'm just repeating what I read as far as I can remember.

Bought my Konnoc at Comex. My 2500mah charges superfast as well, was scratching my head how come it's so fast as it's stated charging rate 1000mah so theoretically should take 2.5hrs assuming they are totally flat. I consoled myself that the charger's -dv control detected the batteries being full and stopped to prevent overcharging. The charger does detect uneven left over charge in one of my old set of batteries when I refreshed them.

user12343 said:
i tink most chargers nowadays are rather intelligent. they have individual control circuitry to regulate the charge cycle. if the batt is flat, the charger will attempt to pump in a high current to the batt until it reaches a certain percentage of charge and slowly throttles down to trickle charge to top it up...

during the initial charge phase, the batt may get hot, so be sure to place the charger in an airy place w/o its own protective cover in place. batteries shd remain cool for better absorption of charge. heat is a main factor in shortening the lifespan of the battery. becos of this i modded my maha charger to incorporate a $2 6cm box fan to force-cool the batt.

there's a good website on battery info on www.batteryuniversity.com for more details.

How do you power your $2 fan? Good idea for overseas trip. At the moment I can only point my room floor standing fan at the batteries during charging.

I dunno if u r using maha charger, cos the supplied maha power adapter is supplying 12V to the charger. if u r using other brands, check the input voltage required by the charger and buy the box fan with an operating voltage closest to it, either 5V type or 12V type.

go SLT get another of those female connector similar as the one found on the charger and parallel connect the adapter output to both the fan and the charger. very simple 10min less-than-$10 electrical job...:)

PnS said:
How do you power your $2 fan? Good idea for overseas trip. At the moment I can only point my room floor standing fan at the batteries during charging.

user12343 said:
I dunno if u r using maha charger, cos the supplied maha power adapter is supplying 12V to the charger. if u r using other brands, check the input voltage required by the charger and buy the box fan with an operating voltage closest to it, either 5V type or 12V type.

go SLT get another of those female connector similar as the one found on the charger and parallel connect the adapter output to both the fan and the charger. very simple 10min less-than-$10 electrical job...:)

I bought the Konnoc charger, too bad the power adapter is integrated with the charging unit, nowhere to parallel connect... but thanks for the lesson on electrical engineering brudder!:thumbsup:

After hearing so much abt all you owning this Konnoc Charger, so I went to buy 1 too... I charge untill the LCD showed all 4 bat full. However, I place all the bat in my 350D, sad to say, the moment I turn on my 350D, the low bat sign appear.... why? anyone facing this problem?

(yes I bgt anoth pack of 4pcs of AA bat, all Konnoc bat.)

My 2700mAh AA Ni-Mh batteries arrived.
AA2700.jpg
I used the Konnoc charger to first discharge the batteries & then let it charged to full. Let the batteries cool down & discharge again & then fully charged again. And 1 more time... I did this after reading one of the post here. Wondering am i doing the right thing... :bsmilie:

The batteries does take quite fast to charge to FULL as according to the LCD diagram. I have used Maha Powerex & it's not so fast... obviously much faster than wat was stated at the back of the packaging, like wat you guys noticed too....

I popped into my camera & it said full, though my *ist DS battery level only 2 section, showing full or half, so can't really tell... wait till i try it out on my flash...

Now every one of us have this question whether the charger is really peak detaction a not isn't it? Coz it's so fast... furthermore, my batteries quite cool somemore... think i need a battery checker to find out... but i dun have one now... see if i can get one soon.

I'm not very sure of this charger :think: My previous Maha Powerex charger seems more convincing... :bsmilie:

pls keep us updated on your batt test. i oso bought a konnoc

hehehe, even batteries also boast about "new digital technology"....
wrx_sti_22b said:
My 2700mAh AA Ni-Mh batteries arrived.
AA2700.jpg
I used the Konnoc charger to first discharge the batteries & then let it charged to full. Let the batteries cool down & discharge again & then fully charged again. And 1 more time... I did this after reading one of the post here. Wondering am i doing the right thing... :bsmilie:

The batteries does take quite fast to charge to FULL as according to the LCD diagram. I have used Maha Powerex & it's not so fast... obviously much faster than wat was stated at the back of the packaging, like wat you guys noticed too....

I popped into my camera & it said full, though my *ist DS battery level only 2 section, showing full or half, so can't really tell... wait till i try it out on my flash...

Now every one of us have this question whether the charger is really peak detaction a not isn't it? Coz it's so fast... furthermore, my batteries quite cool somemore... think i need a battery checker to find out... but i dun have one now... see if i can get one soon.

I'm not very sure of this charger :think: My previous Maha Powerex charger seems more convincing... :bsmilie:

I notice that if I leave the battery in the Konnoc overnight even after the LCD shows full charge, the trickle charging seems to pump up the batteries much fuller than if i were to remove it immediately after seeing the 'full' sign on the LCD.

haiz

can't believe I'm posting here as well, i think the konnac charger isn't that good leh... because it's full charge probably isn't a full charge, today I had my batteries die on me 1/2 way. 12 batteries.... so it is not just a fluke, it's like consistant, but consistantly undercharge ?

if I have to leave it over night to get a full charge that kinda defeats the purpose buying a fast charger :(

PnS said:
I notice that if I leave the battery in the Konnoc overnight even after the LCD shows full charge, the trickle charging seems to pump up the batteries much fuller than if i were to remove it immediately after seeing the 'full' sign on the LCD.

I discovered if the LCD just showed full, & you off the power & on again, it shows 3/4 full & it carries on charging... i wonder why like that...

Does it switches to trickle charging after the LCD showed FULL? I do not know, instructions doesn't says...

wrx_sti_22b said:
I discovered if the LCD just showed full, & you off the power & on again, it shows 3/4 full & it carries on charging... i wonder why like that...

Does it switches to trickle charging after the LCD showed FULL? I do not know, instructions doesn't says...

Yes. It will trickle charge when it is full. Below is the charger spec provided by Eastgear on HWZ.

Product Specifications and test methology of Konnoc KCR-A099 1 Hour LCD charger

Prepared by Grant David of Konnoc.

1 Product Features

1.1 Application Range
Suitable for 1~4 pieces of AA / AAA Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries

1.2 Microprocessor Controlled
1.2.1 –Delta v cut off
The charger stops charging once the microprocessor detects the batteries are fully charged.

1.2.2 Timer Protection
For safety use, charging termination is also controlled by timer.

1.2.3 Defective and Non-rechargeable battery detection
Safety Protection for using the charger if you attempt to charge defective or non-rechargeable batteries, If you charge non-rechargeable and rechargeable together, detection may not work properly.
Charging rechargeable alkaline batteries may result in battery leakage.

1.3 Other protections
1.3.1 Reverse Polarity Protection
Protects the charger and batteries against incorrectly installing batteries.

1.3.2 Over Current Protection
Maintains constant charging current during the charging cycle.

1.3.3 Over Temperature Protection
Protects the batteries from being damaged by overheating, the charging will automatically terminate when the temperature of charger or battery reach to 65oC + 5oC.

1.4 Low Battery Leakage Current
If the battery charger is not connected to AC power and the batteries are left in the charger, the charger will discharge the batteries in a certain amount of current.

1.5 Trickle Charge After Full Charge
After batteries are fully charged, there will still be a small pulse charge current applying to batteries.

1.6 Refresh function
The charger has the pre-discharge function, when the battery is discharged to 1.0V, the charger can automatically switch to charging status to charge the battery.

1.7 Individual LCD display the Charging process
The grid of battery figures rolling in charge status indicates the battery is CHARGING correspondingly. If the battery has been charged for 50% nominal capacity, the first grid will stop rolling; If been charged for 75% nominal capacity, the second grid will also stop rolling; and If been fully charged , the third grid will stop rolling and display full power and end charging.
If you need to pre-discharge the battery, switch to discharge status, the LCD will display the battery is in refresh process, after the battery discharge to 1.0V, the charger can automatic switch to charging.

1.8 LED Indicator
LED ON indicates the charger has been connected correctly.
LED Flashing indicates WARNING of
※Defective batteries
※Short circuit
※Non-rechargeable batteries

2 Electrical Performance and Technical Parameter

2.1 Input
100~240V AC 50/60Hz 10W

2.2 Charging Currents
950~1050mA

2.3 Charging Voltages
1.4V DC For individual charge

2.4 Battery Leakage Current
Maximum 0.5mA

2.5 High-Voltage Shock Test
Method: Connecting high voltages 3000VAC for 1 minute between input and output terminals.
Requirement: Current leakage between input/output must be less than 10mA, and the unit should still work as normal.

3 Mechanical Tests and Requirements

3.1 Drop test
Drop from 3 feet height onto an oak board of 10 mm thick. The test shall be carried out 3 times respectively in 3 different surfaces of the case.
Requirement: The charger should still meet High-Voltage Shock Test.

3.2 Bending test (Electrical cord)
Loading: The plug and S/R should withstand weight of 200 gram.
Cycles: Swing 120o left to right for1000 cycles.
Speed: 20 cycles/min.
Expected result: The cord should still be conductible.

3.3 Surface
Damage and rusting are not permitted.

4 Environmental Conditions

4.1 Operating Temperature
0 degrees celsius to 40 degrees celsius, best at 25±2 degrees celsius

4.2 Storage Temperature
-20 degrees celsius to 60 degrees celsius, best at 25±5 degrees celsius

4.3 Normal operation humidity range
Below 85%R.H., non-condensing

5 Safety Standards
CE Approval

6 Product Inspections
6.1 Inspections to 100% of products
-Charging voltages
-Charging current
-LED indicators
-LCD display
-Foreign mass & sound by shock
-Polarity of charging channel
-Surface
※Charging AA or AAA at least once at 25±3℃.

6.2 Inspections to part of products
-Over current protection
-Over temperature protection
-Drop test

i just purchase the konnoc set and additional konnoc battery and is going to test them against my Sanyo 2500mah + quick charger. The 24 pieces of Sanyo 2500mah i'm using so far perform very well, esp. in high drain application.
i will post the result when i'm done with it.

Rgrds,
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.