Qns abt Malaysia Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

km1980

Deregistered
Sep 30, 2007
Jurong
My question might sound stupid but I'm still worry and quite lazy to do some research about it, so if u guys know, give me some infomation abt it, ;p

I'm traveling to Malaysia KL soon with all my camera gears like DSLR, lens and tripod.

I heard from my friend that she was fine RM120 at Malaysia custom for carrying a coffeemaker in her luggage. :eek: Will they do that to DSLR and lens too???

p.s I never travel to Malaysia with huge camera before.

Last edited:
No tax and no problem for your camera as zcf said not new not in a box.

My question might sound stupid but I'm still worry and quite lazy to do some research about it, so if u guys know, give me some infomation abt it, ;p

I'm traveling to Malaysia KL soon with all my camera gears like DSLR, lens and tripod.

I heard from my friend that she was fine RM120 at Malaysia custom for carrying a coffeemaker in her luggage. :eek: Will they do that to DSLR and lens too???

p.s I never travel to Malaysia with huge camera before.

You are going to Malaysia for a holiday or maybe working for a while...you bring in a coffeemaker in your bag. The officers there are not stupid and know right away you are buying it for someone in Malaysia.

So long as your camera and accessories are not in some packaging or box, they have to give you the benefit of a doubt you are just a tourist who brouhgt your gear in take photos so you are very safe...be it by train, car thru JB, airplane or ferry.

I always bring my camera gear, notebook and other electronic toys in and never have a problem. One item each is fine but of course if you have like a few pieces of the same camera parts or bodies or iphones...etc Then of course all the alarm bells in the officer's head will start ringing heheheh.... You can claim that you are not selling them and you really are bringing them in to use and then bringing them back to Singapore. They will take a difference approach if that be the case. They will look at your items, estimate a price for them and then charge you about 30% of it value that you must pay to them as security. Upon coming back out, you can bring those items to their office at the custom to check and they will then give you your deposit back. Very troublesome...trust me ...I kena before for just bringing in 2 video recoders ( use in a exhibition for playback)..the make me pay $400 for each one of them. They were very relutant to give me back the money when I came back out...heheh..

I have brought 2 bodies and 4 lens and a large tripod through the train and car going through JB and no problem...so you should be pretty safe.

If your DSLR is new and in box, and you are Malaysian, then yes.

It does not matter if you are malaysian or not...they think it is new, they will charge you a tax for it back on a value they put on it or from what you tell them. Of course if you come out with a silly low price...they are not that dumb to believe you heheheh...

If your DSLR is new and in box, and you are Malaysian, then yes.

Haha my friend was a malaysian and her colleague gave her a used coffeemaker without any box. She was thinking to bring it to her house in JB to keep but who knows the malaysia custom officer fine her.

I was actually laughing at her that the used coffeemarker then cost her RM120 when she told me the story, then she ask me to be careful on my camera. That's why I bring up my doubts...

You are going to Malaysia for a holiday or maybe working for a while...you bring in a coffeemaker in your bag. The officers there are not stupid and know right away you are buying it for someone in Malaysia.

So long as your camera and accessories are not in some packaging or box, they have to give you the benefit of a doubt you are just a tourist who brouhgt your gear in take photos so you are very safe...be it by train, car thru JB, airplane or ferry.

I always bring my camera gear, notebook and other electronic toys in and never have a problem. One item each is fine but of course if you have like a few pieces of the same camera parts or bodies or iphones...etc Then of course all the alarm bells in the officer's head will start ringing heheheh.... You can claim that you are not selling them and you really are bringing them in to use and then bringing them back to Singapore. They will take a difference approach if that be the case. They will look at your items, estimate a price for them and then charge you about 30% of it value that you must pay to them as security. Upon coming back out, you can bring those items to their office at the custom to check and they will then give you your deposit back. Very troublesome...trust me ...I kena before for just bringing in 2 video recoders ( use in a exhibition for playback)..the make me pay $400 for each one of them. They were very relutant to give me back the money when I came back out...heheh..

I have brought 2 bodies and 4 lens and a large tripod through the train and car going through JB and no problem...so you should be pretty safe.

Wow, I guess it should be ok, cos I dun believe these officers are so demanding. Haha thx for the info. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.