Qns abt 55-200 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon79

Mar 31, 2009
Hi.. I wanna ask if this lens 55-200 is good enough for me to shoot indoor sports photo?

I notice that the highest aperture is F4.5, is it big enough? Will my photo turns out too dark??
examples like badminton in the indoor stadium.. whereby the surroundings are dark, only the courts are lighted up.. will this 55-200 zoom lens able to capture the players photo clearly and bright??

Pls advice
thanks

I am using this lens and it should be ok for indoor sports just set a higher ISO.

The only problem I can imagine is shooting chess because its a bit dim

depends what camera are you using.. usually at F/8, the pictures are clear and bright.

The brightness is not the issue here as your camera will/should/can automatically adjust the exposure setting no matter what aperture you're on (eg. Av-mode), the issue will be stopping motion with faster shutter speed. Naturally a f/2.8 lens will allow more light through the lens and give you an advantage in shutter speed times. I haven't shot with an f/4.5(if you're gonna be shooting at the long end, I believe its gonna be 6.3) in quite some time, but you can try bumping the iso to the highest setting without noise becoming a problem to see if you can get the shutter speed fast enough.

Go to the venue and test, if you find that its not working and absolutely need to cover the event, go rent a 70-200 f/2.8 :D

if shooting indoor sports, try to use the shutter priority at a faster speed to capture moments and a low light lens would really help alot in this.

This lens will not hack it in low light conditions, esp. for sports where you need high shutter speeds. This is a outdoors, high light lens.

In your case, you should be looking at prime lenses such as 85mm f1.8 or a longer zoom lens of f2.8 and you'd still need relatively high ISO to get the shutter speeds you need.

i want to freeze the shuttle and the movement of the player hence need high shutter speed

so im afraid my F4.5 aperture might not be enough to allow more light in causing my photo to be dark

oh, btw i do not own 55-200, im considering to buy it for tat event due to the low cost.. hehe
if this lens is unable to give wat i want, then i have to considered other lens already. im using a D60..

MarkNKL, u mention abt renting lens? such service is available in singapore?

i wanna add tat, i want to zoom at the player close enough (hence, need zoom lens?) and bright and clear(high aperture?)

if this 55-200 lens cant satisfy my criteria, can suggest any lens? but hopefully not too ex as im on a tight budget... ;)

many thanks guys!

MarkNKL, u mention abt renting lens? such service is available in singapore?

just search right here on clubsnap... We do have a services offered section for a reason... :)

I am using this lens and it should be ok for indoor sports just set a higher ISO.

The only problem I can imagine is shooting chess because its a bit dim

Er...chess is not "indoor sports" per se. We're talking about sports like badminton, in a dimly lit hall. The 55-200 is not going to cut it.

Yep, f/4.5 will be too challenging. Have done indoor badminton shoots for company at two locations. Bedok Sports Hall is very dim. No point without flash.Tampines Sports Hall was nearly ok for shooting without flash but light has a terrible orange cast. Just next to the playing field my Tamron 17-50 has done a good job.

Hi Octarine thanks for ur reply

I don think im able to get anymuch nearer to the court as im preparing for next month Singapore Open badminton championship in the Indoor Stadium...

Hence i would need a zoom lens..

Hence still renting a lens like the 70-200 would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.