qn on film canister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG_Me31

Apr 22, 2005
well its not exactly the film canister, its How to extract film leader from inside the film canister. wanted to change in mid roll but forgot to change to a different mode then reinsert another film and it rewind that film totally.

You can buy a film extractor for around 10 bucks. There are also other DIY ways to take it out but usually not worth the trouble.

If you just need to take out ONE roll, you can also ask your friendly neighbourhood lab to assist - they have a machine to take it out in 1 sec.

thanks i'll try that.

If you dun wanna buy a film extractor, there's a cheap way of extracting your film leader from the film. Just use another film. Of course the other film needs to have the film leader exposed. Wet the film tip(emulsion side) with your tongue and then insert it in. Then you'll have fiddle around with it. It's kinda hard to describe it. It's pretty much like using a film extractor. I've tried it before, but it was ages ago. Perhaps someone out there can explain it?

wat the.. that kind of method also woked?? i roughly understand it..
so how does it taste it like?

How does it taste...??? It's an aquired taste! I can't remember how it tastes... ha!. If you dun wanna lick the emulsion, then just use ur finger to transfer the saliva. I was told the 'licking' method was used by many old-time photographers in the field when they left their film extractor at home. Have you tried it yet? Did it work? It takes some effort when you are not used to it, but it works.... But u must bear in mind that once u've licked off all the emulsion on the film tip, it won't work already.

Seeto said:
If you dun wanna buy a film extractor, there's a cheap way of extracting your film leader from the film. Just use another film. Of course the other film needs to have the film leader exposed. Wet the film tip(emulsion side) with your tongue and then insert it in. Then you'll have fiddle around with it. It's kinda hard to describe it. It's pretty much like using a film extractor. I've tried it before, but it was ages ago. Perhaps someone out there can explain it?
This technique only works easily for those cameras with manual loading because the film is rolled emulsion side outwards on the take up spool. So after you rewind the film back into the can, the film curls outwards rather than inwards.

For those automatic loading cameras where you just need to pull the film leader to the red mark and close the camera back, the film is rolled in the same direction. When rewound into the film can, it will curl up on itself and therefore very hard to pick, even with a picking tool, so it's even harder to use the lick technique where you need the 2 emulsion to stick together before pulling it out.

Seeto said:
How does it taste...??? It's an aquired taste! I can't remember how it tastes... ha!. If you dun wanna lick the emulsion, then just use ur finger to transfer the saliva. I was told the 'licking' method was used by many old-time photographers in the field when they left their film extractor at home. Have you tried it yet? Did it work? It takes some effort when you are not used to it, but it works.... But u must bear in mind that once u've licked off all the emulsion on the film tip, it won't work already.
It tastes less awful than envelopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.