qn: How do you setup your tripod for Macro shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
even with a ball head i feel like vomitting blood when settting up a macro shot with its shallow DOF and close focusing.
for me it was random try luck pattern till i worked out sth

1) handhold and focus and compose (note distance from subject)
2) setup tripod open legs first then adjust ballhead
3) shift tripod to adjust composition and focus

is there a better way??? it usually takes so long that if i get uncooperative insects (like robber flies) i never get the shot!

I mount my tripod's centre column horizontally to get closer to the subject, then use a cable release to trigger the shot.

ortega said:
use a monopod or a Macro Focusing Rail

monopod is hard to use for a low lying objects... but the macro focusing rail sounds good but i dunno if i wld buy it.. hmmm thanks...

slaam said:
even with a ball head i feel like vomitting blood when settting up a macro shot with its shallow DOF and close focusing.
for me it was random try luck pattern till i worked out sth

1) handhold and focus and compose (note distance from subject)
2) setup tripod open legs first then adjust ballhead
3) shift tripod to adjust composition and focus

is there a better way??? it usually takes so long that if i get uncooperative insects (like robber flies) i never get the shot!
I never like ball heads. I always opt for the pan tilt heads. Gives me control of one axis at a time. A macro slider would be useful also.

lsisaxon said:
I never like ball heads. I always opt for the pan tilt heads. Gives me control of one axis at a time. A macro slider would be useful also.

Pan tilt heads are better for precision shots. Ball heads are better for speed framing of shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.