Qn: Aperture to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2004
North
I've noticed in the galleries that people rarely use their widest aperture for a variety of shots, but instead choose to use smaller apertures with a longer exposure (take the moon shots, for example: f/11, exp > 1s). Some macro shots are also taken at about f/5.6 ~ f/11. Is there some reason for this, or is it purely specific to the type of shots taken?

Also, if I were to take shots in the night, what type of settings should I roughly use?

Thanks =)

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
The aperture you used will depend on what you shoot and how you want your pictures to turn out. A smaller aperture (bigger f number) will give you a deeper DOF. That means more portion of your picture will be sharp in which you can make out more details.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
it's a balancing act.

normally
smaller aperture <-> slower shutter spd
bigger aperture <-> faster shutter spd

special
extreme brightness: smaller aperture <-> faster shutter spd
extreme darkness: bigger aperture <-> slower shutter spd

something along these lines. u gotta consider what u want, then play around with it.

blurblock

May 30, 2003
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
Actually, to add on to the previous posting by two other members. One other reason is because the sweet spot or the sharpest aperture is often 2-3 stops above the widest aperture, which then it will start to lose it's sharpness after the sweet spot.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
VisualJournalist.net
For macro,
using a large aperature(e.g.: f/5.6 or larger) does not give u a large enough DOF. U'll need at least or average of about f/8 or f/11 to get acceptable DOF.

For nite shots,
using smaller aperature (f/8 or smaller) will give u a "star-filter" effect, depends on your lens. Since shutter speed decreases, will give u a smooth reflection from the surface of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom